10/3 Jack AMPS 97 PMPS 587

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JacksDads, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

Yesterday's Condo

Good news: Jack's dip from last night kept him in the greens this morning. :mrgreen: But, we're stressed out trying to figure out the right diet to stop him from dipping.

Jack got his full 2 oz of breffies - and we have another 1 oz of his LC raw food ready to give him at +1...

Oh, also - here's a question from last night...
    I think Sienna's advice from yesterday is good...
    But, we still gave him a bigger meal at AMPS- as his numbers were green. So maybe a good system for us when we're home will be, if his number is "less than _______" give him another ounce of LC...

Is there anyone on the raw diet that uses a timed feeder? Any suggested brands/models?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 10/3 AMPS 97

Nice AMPS!
    :mrgreen:

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

nice!

I would try front-loading the food in the cycle. What I mean is, feed at PS, +1, +2, then maybe a snack at +8. You don't need to increase his food, you can just divide his regular food into that many meals. By front-loading the cycle, that should soften those big early drops. You want to prevent him from going into the 30's.

4. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Very nice amps! I feed Mannie the way that Libby has described. It will help.

5. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

We'll give it a try. And Mannie is a great role model for Jack.
    So when's the next Sugar Kitty convention so all our furry friends can meet? :D

6. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck! it should make a difference. It won't be instantaneous, does take a little time - so be patient. For Mannie it was a few months before we saw a noticeable change in how often , and how much, he dropped. I hope it works for you.

7. Ronnie & Luna

A lot of people use the PetSafe 5 compartment feeder, which handles wet food very well.
    I believe PetSmart carries it, plus you can find it online.

8. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

Re: 10/3 Jack AMPS 97 +1 190

Hmm.. concern about auto-feeding...

So, it's awesome that both Jose and I are home this morning - As Jack is at 190 - we've held off on adding any food. However, if we were only able to get his AMPS number, and both of us we're not around for the next few hours, and we had an auto-feeder going - it's too bad that he'll get fed even if his numbers start to climb high - but that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Ronnie - the PetSafe 5 Compartment Feeder sounds nice - but where can we get the auto-feeder that does a retinal scan of the kitty to check his glucose level and then dispenses the exact amount of perfectly balanced carb meal that the kitty needs at that exact time ;-) (Oh, it should also administer the insulin, too)

9. Ronnie & Luna

haha!! Funny! Don't we all wish!

Good luck with the food thing, it really can help out, but does take a little experimenting and tracking your results.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I've used two Petsafe model feeders. I've had abysmal luck with the 5 compartment one. I returned one after 2 days because the motor died. The second one died after a month. Because it relies on a motor to move the compartments, sometimes the motor doesn't move the compartments all the way so it gets stuck where it's half open and Jack won't be able to get to the food. I've also used a lower tech, 2 compartment model that works just fine.

I feed a primarily raw diet. However, I'm leery of leaving raw food out for more than an hour or so. My guys get raw food for their pre-shot and +1 meals and Wellness for their +3 and +4 and their +8 snack.

I want to put an idea out there for you to consider. I make my own raw food. It runs about 1% carb. I know you buy frozen and the carb count may be listed on Janet & Binky's food charts. You may need to give Jack a slightly greater amount of carbs to keep him from dropping into lower ranges. If you look at Gabby's SS, you'll note that I use food to manipulate her curve. Gabby is a very bouncy kitty and prone to early drops (plummets?) in her numbers. In order to tame those numbers, when she's dropping into the greens, I want to keep her in the mid-to-upper green range for as long as possible. So, I will add gravy to her food to keep her from dropping too low. This is the strategy that we're suggesting you use with Jack. You may need to see how carb sensitive he is. He may respond to a food that's under 10% carb or he may need a MC (under 15%) or HC (higher than 15%) food. It may also depend on where in the cycle he is. Basically, you need to keep Jack in the 50 - 120 range for as long as you can until his numbers stabilize.

11. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Haven't heard about Jack today.... just checking up on you.

MJ&Donovan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.