Antibiotic question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Anyname, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

Is there any issues with antibiotic and diabetics? LB's numbers seem lower since going on antibiotics. He's on them for the itching which is most likely allergy based but the vet thought he may have a bacterial infection from scratching. The numbers on the spread sheet are as high as they are because I've been watching him very closely and giving him food as much as possible. He hasn't been too fused about eating the way he normally does so I've used fancy feast and spread a few cat biscuits on his meat in order to coax him to eat. I understand that I'm not meant to drop his units by more than .25 of a unit after several days at lower numbers but I'm pushing the food thing much harder than normal in an attempt to avoid a hypo session. Is it possible that anti biotics help the pancreas to work better?

2. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

I posted a link on General Health to help get some answers for you you. Be sure to check over there too.

3. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

Infection can drive the BG numbers higher; so it looks like the antibiotic is working. Hope he feels better soon.

4. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

I've been led to understand that it isn't so much the antibiotic that lowers the BG as it is the clearing away of infections that will lower the BG numbers. Infections can raise the BG levels so when the antibiotics get rid of infection - down come the numbers.

I don't know if that is what is going on with handsome Little Boy, but it sure looks like that is happening (as Pat and Skipper just said.) :D

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with what the others said -- any inflammation or infection will raise BG. We've often seen that as the AB clears the problem, numbers can drop very quickly.

Just a note on your SS.... You might want to check your date of diagnosis -- the year is wonky. Congrats on the dose reductions. It looks like LB is doing very well.

6. Anyname

Anyname Member

that's pretty funny. if you click on WORLD you will see how LB's spread sheet is meant to look. DH didn't manage to do the US version .... obviously. Another 'little' job for him eh? With regards LB I don't think he has a secondary infection I think he's just really itchy from allergies - I'm not that thrilled to be giving him ABs as he doesn't have sores. I think the cat litter is part of the problem for what is causing him to itch. He's gone two days holding on till morning to go for a tinkle outside and seems better for it. Not licking much.

7. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

If the litter is a problem, have you looked at the Tidy Cats Breeze litter box. It has non absorbent pellets, the urine drains through into a pad. I haven't noticed any smell and it's really easy to clean out. Tess transitioned w/ no problem.

8. Anyname

Anyname Member

Sounds good but live in Australia. I need to import a couple of things from the US. e.g. the time release feeder and perhaps the litter tray you talk of. I will also check out what else I can put in the litter tray from here. I'm thinking wood chips that we in OZ like to put all over our gardens to keep in the the moisture. I use one don't by the RSPCA - which is our animal protection society in Australia - but I just have a feeling about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.