Thomas (GA)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judith and Thomas, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Hello all-

For those of you who remember my Thomas, I wanted to let you know that I had to let him go yesterday. His kidney tumor that he had had since 2004, became just too big for either of us to fight any longer.

Ironically, he had been doing pretty well, considering the issues he had on his plate. I had known since Dec. 31 that he had begun his final journey, and it was just a matter of time. His belly had begun to fill with fluids from the tumor, for which there was no 'magic fix'. I was just treasuring every day, and trying to keep him as comfortable as I could during the time we had left. Just 11 days, as it turned out.

I took him to the vet yesterday for a shot of Epogen (to increase red blood cell count) which had actually been helping him to feel better...he was eating drinking and walking when I left for the appointment. When we got there, he could no longer use his hind legs. I have no idea what could have happened in just 20 minutes. This was such a sudden and unexpected change. The vet said it was spine related, not a blood clot. Perhaps the tumor had grown into his spine, and somehow hit critical mass in that short time frame. In any case, I knew my proud and independent Thomas could not be happy being unable to navigate, so I made the difficult choice so many of us have had to make, to help him leave this physical plane.

I took him home and laid on the floor with him for four hours until my veterinarian friend could arrive to help him cross over. He was remarkably calm, and peaceful. On the one hand this makes me feel sad, but on the other hand, I am glad his final hours were without pain, and peaceful. We laid there and he purred loudly when touched or spoken to, he 'talked' (yes, that's right), I talked (and cried) and he slept a bit. He was alert and very comfortable and seemed 'happy' ironically, if this at all makes sense. Had I left his side, I fear he would have tried to walk, and this would have been frustrating for him and painful for me to see, so I did not want that to happen. It was a very special time for us.

Those of you who knew him, knew he was a survivor...not just of diabetes and severe diabetic neuropathy (in remission for almost 2 years), but of a fall through an icy pond, a deep abscess in his tongue which required half of his tongue to be removed and a 2 week ER stay, over a dozen surgeries for mast cell and lypoma removals, radioactive iodine therapy for hyperthyroidism, an acute CP attack during his OTJ countdown where he was in the ER for four days and I almost lost him...PLUS he kept his BG down throughout that stay.

For those of you who did not know my boy, I hope his spirit and journey can be an inspiration to you, and remind you that miracles are indeed possible, and to not give up hope of good regulation and a happier cat, during the inevitable ups and downs of this sugar dance.

He was my hero and my miracle boy, and I shall miss him so. His spirit was very large, so he leaves an equivalently sized void. My heart is breaking. I hope in time I will recall with much fondness all the fun and quirky and poignant memories of this cat who was my Thomas, and not feel so deeply saddened by his (physical) absence.

I just wanted to let everyone know...he would not have made it as far as he did without the amazing love and support we found here in LL after his diagnosis in Dec. of 2007. We are forever grateful to all of you who so generosity and kindly offered their caring support and encouragement to us during his diabetes journey.

Thank you so much again.

Judith and Thomas (GA January 11, 2010)

2. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

((Judith)) I sit here in tears.. just feeling your pain!
    Thomas was and is such an inspiration to many of us.. He will always be cherished and loved in our hearts..
    I'm glad that you got to spend time with him before he left on his journey.. We will light a candle for him..

He was such a lucky kitty to have someone who cared and loved him soooo much.. and vice a versa!

My prayers are with you..

Fly free sweet kitty!

3. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thomas had a very special bean in you and such wonderful care. May your sweet angel pay you a visit.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What a beautiful tribute to a very special and wonderful boy. He clearly loved you very much, Thank you for sharing a small part of Thomas with all of us.

5. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm so sad for you and Thomas! So many tears today....

What a stong, strong boy and an equally strong mama that could let him go when it was time. I wish I had comforting words for you, but I am truly, truly sad. Please take care of yourself and thank you for taking such good care of your boy.

Heather & Boo

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Im so sorry for your loss. No one could have cared for him better then you. Fly Free Thomas!

7. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Judith,I'm so sorry!
    Try to call You but your ph # disconected.
    my heart is breaking for you. Didn't even finish reading Your post - just sow 'thomas GA"
    (((((hugs)))))
    Bo

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Oh Judith, I was so not expecting to see this and I'm very sorry to hear of Thomas' passing. He is such a fighter and I'm glad you were able to spend the last 11 days of quality time with him. My heart is breaking. :sad:

Fly free, Thomas, you will never be forgotten.

9. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

sitting here sobbing. i am so sorry, judith. so very sorry.

10. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

What a beautiful post about a beautiful kitty. I am so sorry that Thomas had to leave you, but he will always be in your heart and he has left a huge impact on your life. What a survivor he was and as you said, he is an inspiration to us all. He sure was a pretty kitty and I always enjoyed the photograph of his stretched out tummy pose with his paws reaching out to us.

I know you will miss him terribly and I hope your sadness will be eased as you remember how happy he was with you as his mamabean. He was incredibly fortunate to have your love and he would want you to think of that, at this sad time. (((Judith)))

11. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

What a beautiful tribute to Thomas. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Fly free sweet Thomas.
    (((Judith)))

12. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

(((Judith))) that is a wonderful tribute to your dear boy. I'm so sorry that he had to leave but you gave him the very best life.

Run free, dear Thomas! You've more than earned it.

13. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

((((Judith))))

I am so very sorry you've lost your bravest boy. Your tribute to him brought tears to my eyes, and I thoroughly feel your sorrow. When your path merged with Thomas' I bet you could not imagine you'd live such an amazing life with him. You and he will always be an inspiration to those who've known you on your journey with FD and he will truly be missed.

Fly free sweet Thomas, be sure to visit your mama often..
    ..Carolyn

14. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

15. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

((((((((Judith))))))), I'm so sorry. There are no words.....I heart that stretchy boy. :(

16. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

((((Judith)))) I always knew from his picture that Thomas was special, and I didn't even know his full story. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It's so clear that he loved you as much as you love him. My heart is with you. Fly free, Thomas.

17. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Oh ((((Judith)))) this is just crushing news.
    I'm so so incredibly sorry.
    You and Thomas have both been such an inspiration... and will continue to be.
    --- so brave and so beautiful...

I wish I had words of comfort.

Fly free sweet ((((Thomas))))

18. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Oh no, not Thomas. Judith I'm so sorry. I always smile when I see that picture of Thomas. My prayers are with you.

Patti

19. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Judith))) I always loved Thomas' picture. I'm so very sorry. I heart that stretchy boy too.

Fly free dear Thomas. wings_cat

20. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I am sad to see this. Your description of his final hours is heartbreaking, but beautiful because they were so loving. My sincere condolences on your loss.

21. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA) Member

I just can't stop crying... What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful cat. I am very sorry... (((Judith)))

Fly free sweet Thomas.

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Judith)))))
    I'm at a loss for words... typing while sobbing. I'm so sorry. You and Thomas went through so much together... such an inspiration for all. He was strong and such a fighter... you were always the best mommabean for him. There will come a time when your memories will fill your heart with happier thoughts until you meet again.
    Wishing you peace and comfort.

Fly free oh valiant warrior...
    (((((Thomas)))))
    wings_cat

23. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

What a hard day here in LLand...

Judith, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You know you did everything possible, and that Thomas is free and happy now...probably hanging out with Bo, as a matter of fact, thanking God for their beans and the wonderful love and incredible lives that they had - and that they've touched.

You'll be in my prayers.

Best-
    Michele

24. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Tonight I read of Bo and Mike, and now Thomas. I am deeply touched by each of you. Incredible people you all are. Such a journey you have had. What incredible support. You are an inspiration to us all. Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry for the loss of your Thomas.

As Jill said - fly free oh valiant warrior. So well said. May there be comfort in those words.

Michelle and Mannie

25. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Oh Judith! I remember Thomas.
    My heart is breaking and i can't stop crying.
    You did everything you could possibly do for your sweet Boy.

26. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Wow. What an amazing amazing cat! My heart goes out to you, but I cannot believe what a soldier he was and I am so glad he had a peaceful last day.

27. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Judith..Crying along with everyone else. I do remember you & Thomas..What a lucky boy to have you & for you to have him.
    What a good life you made for him, caring for him, nursing him through his illnesses, and getting him OTJ.
    This is a beautiful story, a wonderful life you gave to a cat that brought you years of happiness..
    I believe that Love never Dies, and Thomas will always live in your heart. ((((((JUDITH))))))-so so sorry. Fly Free Thomas...

28. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

(((Judith)))

I am so sorry. You and Thomas were blessed to have had each other.

Hugs,

Janet

29. Jamy & Indy

Jamy & Indy Member

I did not get to know Thomas, but it sounds like he was an amazing fighter and you an amazing bean to stick with him and pull him through an awful lot of trying situations. I'm sure you will miss him and my heart breaks for you.

30. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

I'm so sad to see this. Thomas was a very special boy to all of us here at LL.
    (((Judith)))

Fly free sweet Thomas.

31. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I'm so very, very sorry. Fly free Thomas.

32. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Oh Judith I am so very sorry. Thomas was such a special kitty. Yes a real warrior one that we will never forget.

Fly high and proud sweet Thomas and don''t forget to visit you Mommy real soon to let her know you're OK.

33. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Dear Judith (and Thomas!),
    I am crying the ugly cry :cry: , even though you let me know he was doing poorly. I hope you are comforted by all the love and time you two had together, all the happy, funny memories you have to hold close to your heart, and that he is now at the Bridge, free of pain, free of CP, and is a happy, healthy kitty who's just playing and enjoying while waiting for you. I can't imagine the pain and sorrow you are feeling, to be parted from one so dear, but I hope that there is comfort in knowing that you did what was best for Thomas.

Thomas- you've always been such a strong boy, such a will to survive and beat the odds that I thought for sure, you'd beat this thing too. You and Cosmo overlapped your OTJ trials, and the love and support you gave us through our journey was priceless. I've always admired your big Calvin and Hobbes stretch and yawn, and longed to meet you to give you belly rubs.

We will always love you Thomas! Fly free sweet boy. Fly free. You've more than earned your wings.

34. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

(((((JUDITH)))))

I just woke up and saw this. My heart is breaking for you and your brave Thomas.

Fhy free sweet Thomas, you will be missed!

35. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm not good with words like these. I did not know Thomas, but he sounds like a real fighter and very special cat, and you are a very special bean to have given him so much. Tears. I can tell you two really loved each other.

Fly Free Sweet Thomas. You will be together again.

36. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

(((judith)))
    i lost my mom to kidney cancer and hers spread to her spine, too. looks like thomas lasted twice as long as she did, which is a testament to your loving care. my mom had the best medical treatment money could buy, but i guess these things are in god's hands.

glad you had wonderful final moments with thomas, and he could BE there with you instead of just in pain. what a great boy he was!

we all grieve with you. please know we are with you in spirit, propping you up and surrounding you with love.

37. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Your Thomas certainly was a fighter. You were a wonderful mama bean to him. What a beautiful relationship you both shared. Hly free sweet Thomas.

38. Greg and Carmelita (GA)

Greg and Carmelita (GA) Member

I'm sad to see this, Judith. You could not have had a better cat, and he could not have had a better person.

39. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    What an amazing cat and a wonderful bean you were to him.
    Fly free sweet Thomas!

40. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

(((( Judith ))))

I'm so sorry, Judith. You were very encouraging to us when we first came to the board. I'm glad his final time here was so peaceful and that you were by his side.

41. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Judith,

May you find comfort in this time of sorrow.
    May you find joy through the tears.
    May you find happiness in your memories.
    And most of all, May you find peace.
    Fly free sweet Thomas.

wings_cat

42. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Your post is so full of braveness Judith. I know how big your heart is and that makes this all the harder. He was an INCREDIBLE cat. I'll never forget watching Thomas take one battle on after another. His OTJ countdown, that was amazing. We loved him so. A hero and inspiration he will always be.
    Fly forever free dearest Thomas.
    ((((((((((((Judith))))))))))))))

43. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Judith, I don't know how I missed this last night. I'm so sorry. That was a very moving description and I can tell youloved him deeply. My condolences.

44. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of Thomas. Everything you wrote was so special. That time that you got to spend with him in his last hours will never be forgotten. I hope you find peace soon.

45. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Thomas sounds like he was an amazing companion and a true fighter. You guys did everything you could to fight his tumor. I'm so glad his passing could be at home and be so peaceful. My heart is breaking for you, but thank you for sharing your inspiring journey with Thomas.

46. Mike & Bo (GA)

Mike & Bo (GA) Member

Hi Judith,
    My heart goes out to you in this very difficult time. You were such a caring and devoted mom to Thomas right up to the end. We are all with you in grieving the loss of your little boy.
    Sincerely,
    Mike & Bo (GA)

47. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

((Judith)) My heart is breaking for you....what a beautiful story of brave Thomas...
    it was so touching....thank you for sharing that with us at this very sad time....
    Fly free brave Thomas....your story has given us HOPE....

48. Beth and Simon (GA)

Beth and Simon (GA) Member

Oh (((((((((Judith))))))))) I am so sorry.

49. Cori and Tommy

Cori and Tommy Member

I am so sorry. (((((((Judith))))))))

50. Suzanne + Nemo (GA)

Suzanne + Nemo (GA) Member

Oh Judith, so very sorry. What a life Thomas had, and oh the obstacles! You should be proud of all that he previously survived. That probably doesn't give you much comfort now, but perhaps in time it will. Many hugs.

51. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Thomas was a brave kitty and what an inspiration. Your tribute to him was beautiful.
    Fly Free Thomas

52. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Your beautiful words made me feel like I knew Thomas - he was truly a special cat.

53. Joan and Madison

Joan and Madison Member

(((Judith))) I am so, so sorry for your loss. Fly free, Thomas.

54. sanrun

sanrun Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Thomas.

((Hugs))

Sandy Dottie & Skippy

55. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Many tears....((((Judith))) You are in my thoughts.....may all the happy times you shared with Thomas, bring you comfort now.

Sherry & Zoe

56. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know there is nothing I can say right now to fill the void, but I truly believe that Thomas will always be by your side in spirit!

57. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

(((((((Judith)))))))) I did not have the pleasure of knowing Thomas and feel that I missed an opportunity to get to know a very special boy. My heart breaks for what you are going through right now. Thomas' story can definitely bring hope to so many who go through this crazy dance. Fly Free Dear Sweet Thomas. You will be forever missed and never forgotten.

58. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

(((Judith))))
    I am sorry for your loss. Your tribute to Thomas was very beautiful.
    Fly Free Thomas kitty, fly free!

59. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Judith))))

I didn't know the story of you and Thomas and reading this beautiful tribute while learning about him all at once is just about the most heartbreaking thing I've ever 'gone through'. I am glad that I work from home because I am feeling your sorrow so completely that tears are just falling down my face.
    What a beautiful relationship you had with your boy. I am so sorry that you're going through this but so happy for you that you know that Thomas never had to suffer any pain and never will. I'm sure you'll cherish your time together always and beyond. ♥

In Sympathy, Support and Friendship,
    Caryl and Alex&Jackson

60. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

This is the most special story I've ever heard.
    I'm so so sorry for your loss.

61. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Judith, truly an inspirational story and Thomas most certainly made good use of his 9 lives.

I'm so glad you could be with him as he went to the bridge.

Fly free sweet (((Thomas)))

62. Wendi and Milo (GA)

Wendi and Milo (GA) Member

So sorry for your loss

Fly free sweet Thomas

Hugs,
    Wendi & Milo

63. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

((Judith)) I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Thomas kitty.
    Sounds like he was truly a special cat and an enormous part of your life.
    Sending prayers to you and your family, may you find strength and peace.

64. Chuck and Susan

Chuck and Susan Member

Judith:

I'm so sorry to hear about Thomas! I remember when he went OTJ and the wonderful party that was thrown for him. He was very lucky to have you as his bean, and you are very blessed to have had him in your life.

Fly free, Thomas!

Susan and Chuck
    Mineola, TX

65. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Oh no...Oh no!! Judith, I am shocked and saddened to see this post. I can't stop the tears. You and I were on our OTJ journey together back in 2008. Thomas went OTJ just before Flamie. Thomas in late May, if memory serves and Flame a week or so later in early June.

Oh God Judith... I am so so sorry. My heart is breaking along with yours. Your boy was such a fighter, such an inspiration, such a warrior and you fought right along side him... right till the very end. Oh I wish I could find words of comfort for you, but I am at a loss right now. Just please know that I share your grief, but I also share your joy in "knowing" Thomas and I thank you for sharing him with us. He will live on in the hearts of many here on LL.

Thomas your time here on this earth was much too short, but you made an everlasting impression on those that "knew" you here. The lessons you taught us will stay with us for a long time to come.

Rest now brave one, you have surely earned your wings. Fly high and free and proud Thomas! You will always be loved!

66. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

oh judith, i am so sorry that your journey together has ended. he always reminded me of my DC, a cat that surprised every vet with his survival skills. a cat that the chart and the cat did not seem to know each other, that thick chart with all those dire health issues could not be the cat lounging in the sun and walking around without a care.

thomas was amazing.
    he will never be forgotten.
    fly free sweet boy.......

my heart is breaking for you.
    i am so very sorry.
    (((hugs)))
    ~jojo

67. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Thomas seems like he was a super star. What wonderful times you had with him.

68. Kim&Luck

Kim&Luck Member

Dear Judith, Thomas always had a very special place in my heart, since I swear he was Luck's twin. I too will remember so well Thomas's OTJ countdown. There he was so darn sick and still holding his #'s, it was truly amazing. And so are you for all you did for him. Your story of spending the time with him at the end touched my heart. What a wonderful mom you were to him and he such a good boy. Many tears here tonight, many, many tears.

I was also deeply touched that you took the time to email me. It meant so much to me that you would remember Luck and I. A huge cyber hug Judith. I'm so bad at links and such, but I will be lighting a candle tonight at that "candle" place for THomas. I have a candle burning here at home tonight and will offer a prayer for both you and your Thomas. ((Judith))
    Kim & Luck

69. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG. Had not been on in a few days and just saw this. I am so sorry.
    I remember you when Tom and I started here in May 2008. Tom and Thomas went OTJ about the same time and we partied together!!!
    (((hugs)))

70. Patricia&Brownie

Patricia&Brownie Member

((((Judith)))) I am so saddened to hear about Thomas. You wrote a beautiful and inspiring tribute to him. I wish there was some way to comfort you, but I am left without words... You will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight. Godspeed, Thomas, until we all meet again.

71. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

May your baby walk free in the billowy clouds above...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.