Weeble PMPS 86 AMPS 174 +5.5 103

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by weeble, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weeble

weeble Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies yesterday. I can without a doubt say that this board, with you and the invaluable information posted here is responsible for returning me to sanity and my cat to some semblance of normalcy.

I'm sure I missed something, but I created a profile which will hopefully answer some of the questions you have.

After months of HI (over 600) readings, I'm loving the quality problems I'm having at the moment. That said, I don't want to blow it like I did with all this in the beginning by trying to figure things out myself.

Any comments and suggestions? The one caveat being that I need to be very strategic with my testing. She inhereted her blood circulation from me apparently (cold hands and feet)--and it takes a lot of work to get the blood flowing and often more than one prick to get enough blood...

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Weeble PMPS 86 AMPS 174

Hi Amanda! Here is your link to yesterday's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23416
    There are so many kitties here so we have to devise ways of being organized. By linking our previous day's condo to the first post of the day, anyone can click it and read what transpired the day before.
    Weeble had a beautiufl PMPS last night. I did notice that you didn't test after that.
    We would like everyone to get at least a before bed time check so we know where the kitty is heading. (many kitties go lower during their PM cycle...)

Very nice AMPS this morning....are you able to get some checks in today?
    The more data you have during each cycle, the better to see how Weeble is using the insulin.

I am going to check your profile now. Great job getting that done! :mrgreen:
    Do you have any questions? Have you gotten to read any of the stickies at the top of the page yet?

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Good job with the profile Amanda...and Good job with the trying to get Weeble off the dry food....it does take time.
    Here is a link to the Janet & Binky canned food chart for reference: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html There is also one for the dry food too... http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html

I know you have issues due to the IBD but we have found that switching to all wet foods helps with regulation in a very big way.

I see you are using the CVS True Track but noted some discrepancies with the readings. I don't know where you live, but if you have a Walmart in your area, you might want to try the Walmart Reli-On micro meter. I switched to that myself and love the price of the strips...$20 for 50. The meter itself costs $12 but the readings are consistent. If you are not happy with your meter now, it would be a good investment if you can swing it.

4. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

good job on the profile, that helps a lot. :smile:

About testing, besides preshots then I think the most important test to get every day is the one right before you fall into bed. Most cats have more action at night during the day, and that one test can give a lot of information on how kitty is doing. Besides that, spread your tests around whenever you can. Even if you only get one spot check each cycle, if you can do it at different times each day that helps (of course we love it if you get more than one spot check per cycle!). And more testing when he is green, and *especially* when he is green at night.

5. weeble

weeble Member

Thanks, everyone. Will do a test tonight before bed.

Prepping husband to do shots on Sunday when I'm not here. He's very nervous about it--even though the shots don't really bother her but the oral medication does (which he's comfortable with). I fine about it before but now that things seem to be headed in such a positive direction, I'm starting to wonder if it's a better idea to give an early shot (about an an hour) and a possible late shot. Or am I just being a control freak? Anyone care to weigh in on this one one?

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

We like to shoot 12 hours apart. There are certain circumstances when a shot might be later...or earlier...but as a rule, the 12/12 is best. Were you talking in general, or do you have something coming up that the 12/12 won't work with?

i forgot to mention earlier...about the ears...some people use a rice sock warmed in the microwave. Put it on her ear to warm it up. Warm ears bleed easier. Some people massage the ear instead to get the blood circulating. Maybe try one of those things as see if it's better. They do say that the ears "learn" to bleed as time goes by.

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

From the Protocol

Random Notes...
    Because of the cumulative nature of Lantus and Levemir:
    An early shot = a dose increase.
    A late shot = a dose reduction.

As a guideline, you'll want to keep this in mind.
    And you'll want to keep to your 12/12 schedule as much as possible.

Has your DH (dear husband) practiced giving shots yet? Maybe guide him along with one or two before Sunday.
    Did you know you can practice with a used syringe with some water in it, and plunge it into an orange?
    As long as he's calm and relaxed, giving shots gets easier. Easier than home testing!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I noticed that you're having some reliability problems with the your meter. The pharmacy brand meters (CVS and Walgreen's brand) got very poor ratings from Consumer Reports. The Walmart Relion brand is an inexpensive meter and the strips are similarly among the least expensive around.

I don't know if anyone has directed you to the website on feline nutrition that was written by Lisa Pierson, DVM. She discusses food as it relates to various medical problems such as IBD.

Generally, we encourage people to shoot as close to a 12 hour schedule as possible. Lantus likes consistency. You really can't make up for a late shot by shooting early. All you do is mess up the shed. Hopefully, your DH can become more comfortable shooting. It's always good to have a back-up person.

9. weeble

weeble Member

Woohoo! Off the hook. It was a one-day thing that's been cancelled. I have been trying to lure him in, but he conveniently disappears during shot times. I'm going to keep at it, though. Sometimes I'd like to be out of the house after 9:30, too. Not often, but still.

I do use a bottle full of hot water with which I heat her ears for at least a minute. Unfortunately, rubbing doesn't seem to do the trick--especially when my hands are always cold! It helps a lot, but it's still a bit more unpredictable than I'd like. I will say, however, with numbers like she's been getting lately, the disappointment of the bloodless prick a lot easier to take...

Re: the meter--right now (which is to say I could change my mind tomorrow) I'm going to stick with the devil I know. I also just bought a new pack of strips, so I'd at least like to finish those.

Re: the food--I went over all those food sites with a fine-tooth comb when she was dx-d with early renal. The things I could try (with a limited # of ingredients and no fish, which really sends her guts over the deep-end) she wouldn't eat. I probably spent at $500 trying to get her to eat canned foods listed as good for kidney disease. She didn't care. Not interested. Everything else just sat there over and over and over again. Please believe me when I say I tried every trick in the book. The only thing she would eat at all was Tiki Cat chicken. And then the vet suggested we avoid common proteins (testing for food allergy and be able to ween her off cisapride). It is just serendipidous that she actually took bites of the EVO. We've moved up from less than a tsp to a couple tsp and then a couple more--and everytime I increase the amount, her tummy grumbles a bit. The food thing is very dicey and considering where we've come from, she's actually doing really well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.