AMPS 74. And what just happened?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by weeble, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weeble

weeble Member

My question specifically refers to my cat's sudden drop from AMPS 215 on 8/20 to AMPS 59 on 8/23.

Granted, I haven't had her stable for any amount of time (which accounts for the lack of mid-cycle numbers, I keep waiting to have her on a schedule for at least 5 days before I test more, but that doesn't seem to want to happen), but it seems a little extreme when she had been consistent for a couple days and I had seen similar numbers from her before I screwed everything up a couple months ago.

I think I might be day dreaming about remission, and wanted to see if you all had any insight before I start getting optimistic.

The only two changes were 1) the weather--it finally started getting hot around here, and 2) I witheld the dry food for longer in the morning as I was able to get her to eat more canned. But she was still free-feeding later in the day and all night as well.

Thanks!

Amanda

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda! Your kitty's name is Weeble?
    Well I am glad you are here. I am glad to see you have your SS and have kept it updated.
    I am concerned about where you are in the cycle right now....did you just get the +5.5=87??

I will attempt to get some information from you until a more experienced person comes along.
    From what I can see though, you have given dose reductions which is good. Weeble seems to be utilizing the insulin very well.
    You are giving both canned and dry?
    Does Weeble have any other medical issues besides the IBD? Still on the Cisapride?
    Is there blood today in the stool or has this been happening for awhile...

When was Weeble Diagnosed?
    On Lantus since the beginning?

You have a lot of good notes in your SS...I will read some more and be right back....

3. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

I've been told remove all food 2 hours before the AMPS and PMPS. If she is free feeding, then you have no idea if she just ate and how much before you tested.

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so happy that you are here now Amanda...is it possible for you to test more often during the day or are you not home?
    We ask that everyone test before the shot so once in AM and PM and definitely a before bed check too at the very least.
    The more data you have collected, the better able we are to see what is going on.

She is in the greens even on the lower dose.....25u and you were wise to lower it.

I think you should get a few more tests in today if you can before the PMPS time, if you could definitely come back here and post the BG number...do not feed her at that time but ask in your header for dose help, okay?

Meanwhile, do you have canned High Carb food in the house...something with lots of gravy for bringing up her numbers if she should go low?

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

what happened? Weeble had a breakthrough. :mrgreen:

I encourage you to step up the testing during this time. As you can see, anything can happen and sometimes this part of the sugar dance goes fast. Test often, before every shot FOR SURE, and we all try to do a Before Bed Test every single day because that one test can help you fill in a LOT of blanks when you're trying to figure out your cat's response. Then test any other time you can too. Post daily and let us help you through this phase.

One little thing, when Weeble is low, 40's and 50's, please don't wait as long as you did to test again. Every 15 minutes in the 40's, and usually every 30 minutes in the 50's. Do you have high carb wet food on hand? Very important to get some because that can give you control over the numbers. Usually on this low a dose, low carb food is plenty to bump up their numbers, but you don't want to be caught without it if you really need it.

Weeble looks very, very good. :smile:

6. weeble

weeble Member

Hi Everyone,

So grateful for all the responses. Hopefully I can answer the questions...

OK, just tested her. 110 (+9)

I fed her the duck around 5:30 and she ate some dry at 3:30 (I meant to pick it up because I usually give the duck around 4:30, but forgot, of course).

Insights or suggestions?

I should reiterate that I know my meter is 15 points high over 100 BG and 30 over 200 BG. I don't know what the story is below 100, but I assume from the lows I've gotten and her, well, conciousness that it's probably more or less accurate. Also, I gave her her monthly (a little behind on this month's) B-12 shot around 2:30.

I am feeding both canned and dry and real duck (pan fried, of course). She's never been big on the canned and because she's so sensitive, I have to take it very easy with transitions. Also, I wanted to try to keep the variables to a mimimum while I tried to get at least a small handle on this. The good news is, this is the most canned I've ever been able to get her to eat.

In June (when she was also dx-d as diabetic), she was very early stage renal and she is still on the Cisapride. I missed a dose a night ago and I think it coincided with a rather large hairball--the blood in the stool happened during a similar incident maybe a month-and-a-half ago, and then it went away. She was on Lantus in the beginnning, but I sort of blew the whole thing, then a second doctor tried Humulin-N before I came back to it.

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda,
    welcome back to Lantus Land.

Question: what meter are you using?
    If by any chance you are using the AlphaTrak, it would be a good idea to add that to your signature line, and to your spreadsheet.

Also, I would recommend you may like to set up a Profile for Weeble, this is a good idea becasue we tend to ask the same questions over and over, with a Profile, everything about Weeble from diet to health issues, to meds and meter is all in one place.

Have a look at this link for details on how to set up a Profile for Weeble:
    Who's Your Kitty?

Hope to see you posting again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.