8/7 Bear Man Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Bear Man, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Last week: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21152

Bear Man has had some success with his Aranesp treatments for anemia:
    July 15 PCV=.18 Shot of iron dextran and Aranesp 6.25 mcg given
    July 22 PCV= .20 Shot of Aranesp 6.25 mcg given. BP stable.
    July 29 PCV = .28 Aranesp shot skipped. BP stable.
    Aug 3 PCV = .28 Aranesp shot skipped. BP stable. Bloodwork done and hematocrit = .33!

The big surprise was that hematocrit being so much higher than the PCV (they are two ways of measuring the same thing). The .33 is a normal number, and is the highest he has been in over a year (it's quite a bit higher than Teddy's .29). The vet and I were both quite relieved that we had elected not to shoot based on the PCV of .28. The reason we did the bloodwork was twofold: (1) he had had a bad week with vomiting and lethargy and (2) the vet, who is not his regular vet, was shocked to see the number and severity of his focal seizures. These seizures have been worsening over time, and are happening at least once a minute, and involve his head and paws. I may end up taking him for a neuro consult, although he cannot undergo sedation for any imaging of the head, but we are first trying him on a course of gabapentin to see if it helps, and if he can tolerate it. His other blood values came back fairly stable. His phosphorus is higher, due to my allowing him to eat food that he likes, and his thyroid is higher. He will go back to the vet on Tuesday for recheck to see if the PCV is holding.

The last few days he has been feeling quite well. He has been able to climb his stair and get up on the bed, which is something he has not been able to do in a very long time. I became aware of this in the middle of the night when I was awakened by hissing and yowling. Teddy was in HIS bed on the foot of my bed, and Bear was perched precariously on the very corner of the bed trying to steal the cat bed away from Teddy, with much resistance. I leapt up and snatched Bear before he could fall off the bed and break a hip. Since then, he has gone back to his favorite old routine of climbing up on the bed hourly during the night, grabbing a tupperware snack on the bed, and climbing down on his bench on the other side. It effectively prevents me from getting any sleep at all, but it is great to see him having a bit of his old mobility back.

Twitchy Bear Man video:

[​IMG]

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Linda,
    Bear is one tough kitty. It's good to read that he had a good week and that he is feeling so much better that his activity keeps you awake! I hope that all will go well next week, too.

Ella & Stu

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry about your broken sleep Linda...but you don't need a good night's sleep, do you? @-)
    I got such a kick out of your description of the antics. I guess Teddy loves Bear Man but not so much when he is trying to steal his bed, eh? Don't mess with me at night! :lol: It's great to hear that he is making his way onto your bed again.
    Wishing you both a good vet visit on Tuesday....so happy to read your post this morning...sending hugs to you all!! :YMHUG:

4. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Curry and I are pulling for Bear Man. What cute kitty and name. I watched his videos....what a doll...my heart just melts when I look at him. He's lucky to have such a great Mummy.

Saw that you are in Oakville, Canada. I was born there. Now in Houston. My accent and vocabulary has morphed a bit....have that wonderful southern drawl not...and say y'all alot. :D

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great lab values! I'm so glad to see those numbers improving. I hope you get some good results from the gabapentin.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Linda,
    I'm glad to hear that Bear Man is getting around better and that his anemia is better too. I hope the gabapentin works for his seizures. He's such a sweety.

7. Wendi and Milo (GA)

Wendi and Milo (GA) Member

Morning ((((Linda)))) wonderful to hear your sweet Bear is feeling a little better:)

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

great update! I know you're glad to give up sleep if it means Bear is feeling better. I hope you can catch a nap sometime. I'm really happy to see his PCV numbers improving!

9. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Hello,Linda!
    Glad that buby Bear is feeling lil better and can jump on the bed - it's so nice to see that!
    Hugs to everybody!

10. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

You know I just love a happy Bear Man report! He really sounds like he's feeling lots better. Sleep, schleep, you'll catch up on it later :mrgreen:

11. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Love to hear about the Bear Man trying to steal away Teddy's bed. Sorry about the lack of sleep, but it sounds like a good reason for waking up a little. I hope the gabapentin will help. Such a sweet boy. (((BearMan)))

12. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck next week! I hope that goes well.

It really is wonderful to read that he is doing some of the old things - even if it interrupting sleep. I think I would be ecstatic. He sure is one tough cookie. Way to go Bear Man! Nice photo too - I look forward to those every week.

Hope you guys have a good day today.

13. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i badly need a nap, and meowzi's already meowed impatiently twice, so i'm going to post and run :). i need to get these thoughts out of my head where they've been stuck all week - it's been a crazy week for me

(from last week's post)
    i don't know. it probably is, if it's non-regen - you did test for retics, right? another thought i've had is what if it was iron deficiency? i know iron deficiency has been rare on the CRF support list, but what of Bear isn't rare? that shot of dextran may have done more than the aranesp, if he was indeed iron-deficient - no matter how much erythropoietin his kidneys may have been making, that order for red blood cells can't be filled if there isn't enough iron. or maybe it was the combination of both, but whatever it is, so glad to see the rapid turnaround :)

teddy's is regen, right? it's from leukeran suppression of bone marrow?

he isn't dehydrated, is he, from the vomiting? dehydration can make PCV look higher than it really is. i'm not saying there hasn't been progress - he's clearly going in the right direction, there's no doubt about that. but i'm glad you're rechecking next week to see if it's still holding (paws and fingers are crossed that it is!)

14. Chris and Chloe

Chris and Chloe Member

Hi Linda,

I loved reading the Bear Man update. I'm so glad he's been feeling better. I love that he was able to climb on his stair and get up on the bed!! Makes me smile! That is the thing I miss the most about Chloe's old self....she used to sleep with me every night.

15. Linda and Bear Man

Reticulocytes were low, so non-regenerative.

I did consider that the iron played a big role, as it was the first week that he had a big improvement in clinical symptoms (but it was the second week when his PCV rose so quickly). I never tested his iron levels before tx started.

Teddy's anemia is from the chemo, yes. It has been stable at about the same level.

Good point about the dehydration. Would that affect hematocrit as well as PCV? His RBC and hemoglobin also rose. The vet checked his scruff and gums, and he did not seem dehydrated to her.

16. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

probably a combo of things but i think the gabapentin is helping. semi-educated speculation on my part coz i use it, but it helps me a lot. especially if he's had peripheral nerve pain it could really help his "get up and go" spirit.

yea bear for feeling better!! ((smooches))

17. WCF and Meowzi

Do his labs show MCV and MCHC? Some list members use those two as indicators - I don't remember how they interpret MCHC, but they say a low MCV, which is indicative of microcytic anemia, *may* mean that iron stores are low.

I think it does. Jojo and I had discussed it a long time ago, but I'm too disorganized to find that PM. Here's what Tanya's site says: "Dehydration will make PCV look higher than it really is, so once a cat is rehydrated, PCV will often have fallen." and "If the RBC count is high, this may be indicative of dehydration." Something to ask your vet? (let us know if you do).

18. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

Lovely to hear some progress is being made, he has no idea how lucky he is to have chosen you for a mom, one willing to go the extra mile.....the extra 100 miles in this case to get him through this.
    We are sending all our good thoughts and feel better vines for him.

19. Linda and Bear Man

Here is the link to the b/w: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bwg ... y=COquwKMO

Edited link.

20. WCF and Meowzi

link no workey? confused_cat

21. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

So wonderful to hear he is doing better ((((((Bear Man))))) hope things keep going well for you :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

22. lynn and bear (ga)

lynn and bear (ga) Member

awww, I loved hearing about the hissing and yowling and tupperware snack hunting - he's a spunky trooper. Good to see you Linda and Bear Man (((((hugs)))))

23. Linda and Bear Man

24. WCF and Meowzi

yup that one workey :)
    but that's after her his aranesp and dextran; do you have one before tx started? wanna see if there was low MCV then. (eta: sorry, Bear!)

25. Linda and Bear Man

Here is July 8 (one week before iron and Aranesp): http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bwg ... y=CJ38lKIC

26. WCF and Meowzi

nope, that's not low. but it's also not an iron test. that's pretty much to the extent of all i remember on anemia, sorry.

27. Linda and Bear Man

Thank you for your help, Choy-Foong.

28. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Go Bear Man!
    I'm so happy to hear this update. Sounds like he's more than holding his own.
    I hope the new treatments yield some terrific results as well!

29. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

What a nice Bear Man report!:YMHUG:

Linda, he sounds good, such a good sweet boy cat_pet_icon

30. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

It's so good to hear that Bear is feeling better and that he is more active. I know in people the Gabepentin can work wonders for pain and also for focal seizures. I hope it works its wonders for him. He is such a sweet brave boy and you are the best of kitty MOms.

31. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I love a good Bear report. Sounds like the gabapentin is helping with his pain level - my vet had asked if anyone here was using it for arthritis when KB first showing signs.

Glad CF is helping with the blood work review, very complicated stuff.

Sending eating vines to your clan, hope you have a less finicky week ahead.

32. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

So glad to hear that Bear's PCV values are looking so much better! And that he is behaving much more like 'himself'...even if that means no sleep for Mama bean! :)

I hope his head twitches can improve with the new meds. Love his pics, as usual.

33. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

When I feel sad, I think of you guys....and this post. Im just sooooo, sooooo thrilled he is having a good week (thus you are too!). You are making some tough, but GOOD choices for your boy, Linda. Keep at it and love him like you always do! :mrgreen:

34. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

linda -- so very happy to read that Bear man is feeling good enough to keep you awake :D
    it's the best loss of sleep you can get. I hope he continues on this path .

happy cat wishes !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.