1/10 Kitty Possible double shot! Eyes please

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1944

DH kindly let me sleep this morning. Kitty had a lovely 79 after a .25 decrease. Unfortunately, he thought he missed the shot, so he gave it again. He didn't know we're supposed to not shoot twice. Now he knows.

He is sure not all of the first shot went in. Kitty's fur was wet. But I'm concerned Kitty got too much, as he has dropped from 80 at +2 to 65 at +3.5, which is not like him.

Numbers:
    AMPS 79 - fed LC breakfast
    +2 80 - fed LC at + +2 and +3
    +3.5 65 - have just fed HC, about a tblsp + a little HC food.

I will test again in 45 minutes. We have lots of HC food (and honey and Karo) and lots of strips.

Not sure how much food vs. gravy to give him, and how frequently to test him.

Could use input. Thanks.

2. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Re: 1/10 Kitty DOUBLE SHOT, HELP PLEASE

It's okay - this has happened many times before and often turns out to be a non-issue. Test again at +4 and hold off on feeding more until then. He's not dropping fast. Everything will be fine. You know I wouldn't lie to you. :smile:

3. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

you know, I'm no expert. But I'd be testing every 30 minutes, especially as you're still early in your cycle. Someone else will be along to help with the food/numbers ratio, but I just wanted to vote for testing more often (I was testing every 15 minutes most of last night...).

Breathing is good, too. You'll be all right, Kitty will be all right, and so will DH. Have a cuppa coffee :coffee: and put your supplies in your pocket...and just hang in there.

Best-
    Michele

4. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA) Member

I would retest in 30 minutes to see if Kitty is dropping or surfing, then decide if Kitty needs food or not (HC or LC, again depending on the number).

Everything will be fine!

5. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/10 98 at +4!

Maybe he really didn't get much of that first shot. He is not really carb sensitive. (On Friday, I gave a tspn of gravy at a 54 at +6, and he was still only 73 at PMPS.)

How long should I wait to test again?

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/10 Kitty Possible double shot! Eyes

What's happening here? Double shot? Double shot of what? You only hear about a double shot at a bar drinking09

Wowy! +4/98...If Kitty were my kitty, I'd test in 1/2 to see where Kitty were planning to go, remember there's still the iffy nadir around the corner!

You're doing good Kathy and Kitty!

7. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

I would also retest in 30-45 minutes to make sure the 98 is not only because the tbsp of HC food Kitty got earlier.

8. Cassandra and Sasha

I agree with the suggestion for the +4.5. HC makes them bobble a little as it wears off.

9. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/10 Kitty 101 @ +4.5

Looks like I overreacted with the HC, doesn't it?

When i saw his drop from 80 to 65, I thought, "Let's not take any chances, let's HC now to prevent a serious low." I also thought, "He's not really HC sensitive."

Hmmph. Now I don't know WHAT to think. I don't know how much insulin he really got this morning. It WAS a reduced dose.

By the way, we reduced last night from 1.75 fat to 1.5 fat, so the most he could possibly have gotten is maybe 3.25, and there was wetness on the fur.

So thoughts on when next to test, and when to feed, and what to feed?

10. Cassandra and Sasha

I think you are fine to wait an hour to test, and not feed unless he is really hungry (meaning, no shoving food in his face right now ;-) ).

Everything is looking good so far.

11. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/10 +4.5 101

Thanks.

Is there any way to guess what really happened? Like, did the first shot probably miss, and I shouldn't have HC'd? Or did maybe SOME get in, but I over-HC'd? 20-20 hindsight, anyone?

Will test in an hour. No room service for now.

12. Cassandra and Sasha

It's all a guessing game at this point. Maybe the first shot really did miss, maybe you did give lots of HC, maybe his liver kicked in and spilled some glucose.

I would probably have HC'd too. Better safe than sorry, kwim? One higher cycle isn't going to make him lose any progress.

13. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Been watching, but didn't want to clutter your thread with posts.. had to answer this though. When in doubt, HC. It can always work it's way out of the system, and better that than the alternative. You did exactly the right thing. No beating yourself up. :)

14. Kathy and Kitty

Yes, that was the question I meant to ask: was HC'ing the 65 at +3.5 the wrong move?

I thought, too high is better than too low. I'm glad to hear that was the right instinct. I have a tendency to give too much HC. I'll try to remember next time.

And I'm glad that this higher cycle shouldn't have lasting impact. :smile: (That's my first :smile: today!)

15. Cassandra and Sasha

And I knew it would be floating around in your head and that's why I added that part. :D

16. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Maybe I would have tried some LC first and restest in 15-20 minutes to see if that was enough to keep Kitty surfing but I think too that you did fine! :smile:

I also had a tendency at first to HC very quickly. Then I learned that for MY cat some LC would do the job!

17. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/10 Kitty 77 @ +5.5

You know me well!! :mrgreen:

I have no idea how to interpret this! On one hand, it's down nearly 25 points in an hour. On the other, it's not bad for +5.5.

So..... what next?

p.s. Nathalie, Kitty had just been fed LC at +2 and + 3 -- another reason why i thought i should move to the big stuff (HC).

18. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

probably the HC is clearing out now and Kitty is getting back to his normal range. I would check again in an hour to see if he's still dropping.

I can't say that I have double shot (sometimes it's handy living alone, at least I can remember if I gave a shot or not). But I've made plenty of other mistakes and this one seems to be working out fine. :smile:

19. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Sorry! I missed the LC feeding part! :D

Sending surfing vibes Kitty's way!

20. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Hi Kathy,
    What a day already!
    I'm thinking another LC snack... but not a meal. I'd check in another 1/2 hour... see if he's surfin.

21. Kathy and Kitty

Yay! I anticipated you, Helene -- fed 1/4 can, and he most but not all.

Since he just ate, I'm wondering if I can re-test at 45 minutes instead of 30. Maybe that would help me not confuse a food spike with where his numbers are going?

22. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

True... about the food spike, however, unlike at shot time, we want to see food going against insulin... to see if LC is sufficient to counter effect or if HC is needed. Take your queue from the cat and 45 mins should be fine unless you feel/see/observe/sense otherwise.

23. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/10 80 @ +6.25

Losing track of the hours, but I think this is 6.25, or 6.5. Up a few points. :D

He is trying to sleep in front of the heat vent and has put out a "Do not disturb" sign. In other words, business as usual.

When should I test again? Feed only if hungry, or promote food?

And even though it's too early to ask, I'm thinking about his shot tonight...

24. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Glad that everything turned out fine for you and Mr Kitty :D
    Yes.. we know that "Enough Already" look around here too... Sweet dreams Kitty!

25. Kim&Luck

Kim&Luck Member

Been exactly where you are before. As to the shot tonight, imho I'd totally wait till you see his +12 and I'd get a +11 so you can see safely that he's rising. (My cat has the double dip though). I would tend to reduce a bit myself though. See what others say.

By the way - great job handling this! It certainly does get your adreneline going when you realize what has happened. Glad you had the hc in the house. Lurkers...please read the post on having your Hypo toolbox ready. HC in the house is a MUST!

26. Kathy and Kitty

This is VERY adrenaline-producing!!

I would like to offer him LC now, and then test a bit later, maybe 30 minutes after his snack.

Would also like to add that it was nice to know I had extra strips and lancets, as well as plenty of HC...I also finally got a back-up meter over the holidays. Extra peace of mind there.

27. Libby and Lucy

I think you'll just need to wait and see about tonight's shot. So far this looks pretty much like Kitty's regular cycle so most likely it will be fine, but he's a cat and you know how that is...... :?

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Oh my.... I'm sure your heart was racing. You did great! I'm sure DH feels really, really bad and I hope he does something generous like make dinner for you.

29. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/10 Kitty +10 78

+5.5 77 - fed 1/4 can
    +10 78 - fed 1/4 can

I think he's okay.

Sienne, you had suggested a curve this weekend. Not what you had in mind, though, right?? Yes, DH feels awful, and yes, he made dinner -- but he's the cook in the house. Crab cakes. :D I just do dishes.

Will test at +11.75 and hope for dose advice.

30. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Kitty +10 78

It looks like it was a busy day in the Kathy and Kitty house.
    You did great today. :D

31. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/10 Kitty PMPS 77, so I guess no double shot

DH said he thought the first shot missed completely -- looks like it did. Kitty's biggest bump was UP from the HC I gave.

I think we should go ahead and continue the 1.5 Fat we started last night.

32. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Holy smokes what a day you had. And what fun Sir Kitty had! Wow.

And good call on how you handled things. Isn't great to be calm and in charge! OK how about amped up and in charge! Or how about just in charge! You got this covered and handled beautifully. Cheering you on from the sidelines. drinking24

33. Kathy and Kitty

Thank you! :D

How about...quivering mass of indecisiveness??? :mrgreen:

No, I wasn't indecisive, I just wasn't sure I did the right things. I fed too much HC. But better to be safe.

DEFINITELY a little night-cap in this condo tonight!

34. Libby and Lucy

I agree, very nice work today Kathy. :D And yes, it looks like Kitty should be fine on his regular dose tonight. You can always grab a spot check somewhere along the line if you are so inclined.

35. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Kathy!!!! I havent been around for all the excitment, but WOW you did a great job!! And there was everyone rooting you on...
    OK so DH feels rotten, he learned a lesson, Kitty is fine, you got some curve there, and got a good dinner..GOOD OUTCOME!! :D :D :D
    You responded to the problem, & did absolutely great with it..
    Now you need sleepus & HUGS~!!!!!! :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

36. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks, everyone, for guiding today and supporting me tonight. Because after every urgent situation comes the post-game, where I review (read: criticize!) everything I did!

I'm a little decision-impaired -- can you tell?? :lol: -- so it took a lot for me to just decide to act.

Well, all's well that ends in a kitty sleeping peacefully on the couch. :D

p.s. Sienne, I think you were the one suggesting a curve this weekend. I'll say it so you don't have to: You told me so! ohmygod_smile Very good example today of why it's good to know what happens usually at +3. Maybe that 65 that scared me wasn't so unusual.

37. Cassandra and Sasha

I'm going to say this again as I have many times before - You don't give yourself enough credit. Your decisions for Kitty are often very good ones, but you doubt yourself. How many gold stars will it take for you to believe in yourself? :lol:

A curve would be nice, but varying spot checks occasionally during the day would be helpful too. Maybe add a +2 or +3 in every other or third day just to see what he is doing. With as green as Kitty is, more spot checks could easily produce additional reductions.

For today:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.