7/06/10 Harley PMPS 303

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Harley and Pattie, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Harley cried for food again at 2 am. I fed him cooked chicken. At 5:10 he again was crying and I gave him 2 pieces. His shot is at 5:45 and his AMPS was 385. Could he have had a low reading at 2am and this is rebound?

What is a perfect end (lol) to the holiday weekend, he pulled out his PEG tube. Now I know that I only used it for extra fluid and antibiotic (infection of tube) but it was like a safety net for me. He is prone to ketones and I used it to give him the extra fluid he needs during those times.

Is doing sub q fluids easy?

Pattie

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 7/06/10 Harley AMPS 385 - Rebound Again

Hi Pattie

Yesterday's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18957&p=188561#p188561

did you get any spotchecks last nite? A before bed check?

It's possible Harley went low - it's important to get at least one check in the evening cycle ok? For future reference.

If Harley is ketone prone, you'll want to keep on top of daily ketones checking - and make a note in your spreadsheet comments too.

For your subQ question, I would suggest cross posting that to the Health forum as well, if you haven't already done so. This will help you get more eyes on that question.

How's he doing this morning? Eating well and everything ok with him?
    Have a good day!

3. Harley and Pattie

Did not get an evening check other than PMPS. I can get one before I go to bed which would be about +3 or +4. I could set my alarm and get the +6. Would that do it?

Pattie

4. Ronnie & Luna

+3 is an excellent start Pattie!

5. Harley and Pattie

Re: 7/06/10 Harley +6 80 HELP

Just got home and Harley was on the bed - staring into space. Took bg and it was 80 (too low??). Gave him 3/4 can FF but I can't stay home because of work. Should I have someone stop in? Vet did approve going up to 6.75 on Lantus...thinking now that it may be too much.

Can someone help me?

Pattie

6. Ronnie & Luna

Re: 7/06/10 Harley +6 80 HELP

I'd get a re-test before you leave again, if you can.

If not, then hopefully you left extra food out for him.

80 is a nice number, and a good catch, giving him some foods will help.

7. Harley and Pattie

Unable to get another bg before I left for work. At +10 it was 284 and PMPS 303. Was 80 too low? If not, should I not have given him food - I am afraid that the bg will drop too low. I did love the green color when I put it on the ss.

Pattie

8. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Hi Pattie,

I'm not sure that I have visited this condo before.... if I haven't, let me say... welcome!

I just had a look at your condo today and at your SS and.... :? :eek: @-) came to mind.
    Granted, I just sprung into your condo and I don't have the history, but... this is certainly NOT an easy case.

So I read something about feeding tube, ketones, SQUIDS and ... admittedly, not my strength..... however....

I also see different doses in the morning and in the evening... not sure why. The protocol we typically follow has the same dose in the AM as in the PM. If your vet advised you to do that... well, he's not familiar with the Tilly protocol either i would say.... but most vets aren't so ... no need to add anything more.

I'm not sure what you are normally feeding Harley.... I suspect that you weren't feeding kibbles in a feeding tube... but before the tube, did Harley eat low carb wet food (cooked chicken is good... I see that on your SS)?

It would be useful if you could add the medical specifics of Harley in your signature, so we can have it at our fingertips... in case you call for HELP again.

80 was a nice number... vets don't see much 80s in their office because most cats are skerred and their BG goes up when they go to the vet.

Any one last thing... a bed time spot check is very very useful. As Ronnie pointed out, start at PM +3 and go from there.

I hope you are not mad at me... I'm only trying to help you and I am really not trying to be disrespectful.

See you around.

9. Harley and Pattie

I am not mad at all - in fact, thankful for any help I can get with my boy. Once I figure out how to add to my signiture, I will do so. For right now: Harley has had a long hard time with diabetes. Last year he had DKA twice and I almost had to decide to let him go. Since then, he is better but high in the insulin dose. The vets decided on different doses because he would be high during the day and often (before I caught the ss up to date) bottom out at night. I am so afraid of ketones that I get nervous about changing dose. He has had ketones about 15 times since he has been dx. I now manage his ketones with extra fluid and regular insulin. It seems to be working. Last time he had ketones was in May.

Any help that I can get is greatly appreciated.

Pattie

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

An 80 is a great number. It's a place where the pancreas can do some very nice healing. It may be a number that Harley's not spent much time visiting recently though so the bounce into the pink at PMPS isn't a surprise.

What that mid-cycle green does tell me though, is how important it is for you to get spot checks. It doesn't have to be at +6. Just get at least one spot check per cycle. A before bed check is great. Without those spot checks, you're going to spend a lot of time scratching your head wondering where numbers may have come from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.