6/17 Latte AMPS-476, PMPS~460 (UTI-a/b resistant)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by carolynandlatte, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Last Night:
    PMPS-370
    +2- 280
    +4- 235
    +6- 187
    AMPS- 476
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17394

I went out last night to get some more pee pads after realizing I only had 10 left. Bought 150, which brought comments from the cashier at walgreens. Looks like its a good thing I got them, seeing as we are going through about 12-15+/day. though she is not getting more than 2 legs in the LB before starting to pee the last few days...meaning she can aim further, hitting her bedding, the walls, and parts of the floors. Pretty soon, the luxary and PRIVILEDGE of having the LB by my bed that is easy to get in/out of will be gone. I draw the line if she gets any closer to peeing ON my mattress.

I do not know how much of the pred she got. Getting the pill in her was the hardest ever. It took probably 10 tries...each time dissolving a little in her mouth and a little on my fingers. Neither of us were happy about the situation. I hope the injectible arrives today, so this would be our last pill. I dont know if she will absorb the injectible differently. I would assume if she does, it will have a greater effect on her BG's, in a not so good way.

I called the U twice yesterday, second time with a little more desperation, explaining the situation with a cat having very high BG's and an infection that may or may not be getting treated. Never got a call back. Im disappointed, as her other IM for kidneys ALWAYS calls back within 24hrs, even when doing research instead of clinic.

I had planned to raise her dose tonight, since this is my last window of time to monitor for almost 2 weeks. After the green the other day, and whatever is going on today...I dont know what Im suppose to do. At the very least I thought I would have gotten some guidance from the IM. When in doubt, do nothing I guess. What would YOU do? Im really beginning to feel sorry for Latte. Its evident this pattern is NOT going to change before it hurts her more. I think if I can just start accepting that, life would be a lot easier.

She filled herself up with water before I woke up. she is eating so-so, not great. She had some kibble overnight too, which does not help matters.

I work 2 jobs today, so she is on her own.

2. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 6/17 Latte AMPS-476

Sending hugs for you and Latte, Carolyn.
    I do hope soon there will be good turn for her.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Have you taken a look at the duck & pea pill pockets? There's no wheat or gluten products and no corn syrup. They may be an option if you have to try a pill for Latte. Gabby really likes them!

If you still haven't gotten Latte's results, try calling the clinic manager or the medical director of the clinic. And, offer to cancel your check or the credit card charge if they won't get you the results that you've paid for. This is sounding suspiciously like they lost the sample or otherwise screwed up. I'd be pissed and raising hell.

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I hope you get your injectable medicine today .. I know how hard it is to pill a cat. Our cat twix has NEVER been pilled, not even by a vet. I hope that latte starts to feel better soon. You are doing everything you can for her, don't forget that.

5. carolynandlatte

Re: 6/17 Latte AMPS-476, +2-269

Im mentally preparing to see her in black by the time I get home.

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Just sending Carolyn and Latte support you are doing all you can for her ((((((HUGS)))))

7. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

Just here to give you and Latte big hugs!

8. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

Gee, Sienne - where'd you hear about those duck and pea pill pockets? Huh? LOL... Anyway - glad Gabby liked them ;)

((Carolyn)) - I cannot believe you haven't heard back from them yet... You're waiting on the c & s still? I like Sienne's idea of telling them you'll cancel payment if they don't get the results to you.

9. carolynandlatte

Re: 6/17 Latte AMPS-476, +9.75~426 (UTI-a/b resistent)

Latte has an e coli infection and entercoccus (sp?). The 2nd is resistent to a/b's. It can eventually cause 'clinical disease' that I could not get into as I was at work with a 3yr old deciding to repeadedly choke his little bro while I was on the phone. Sometimes there are no symptoms and it can come and go on its own.

We will recheck her urine, probably at regular clinic and continue with orbax for an additional 10-14 days to make sure the e coli clears.

He felt her bouncing around in such exteremes was much better than sitting high, as long as she was 'tolerating' it (eating, drinking,etc). His recommendation was to increase her dose. She was 5% dehydrated, despite all the fluids and water she drinks. I should maybe think about increasing subq's. I will talk to her regular vet about that.

In addition to what they said over the phone when initially getting labs back the summary noted the following:
    decreased chloride
    increased osmolality (334)
    Increased anion gap (36)...this is WAY high.
    increased amylase (2952)
    Liver values normal
    Increased protein in urine (+2)
    Increased red blood cells and white cells (too many to count)
    Increase of one white blood cell (13,620) indicating immflamation
    slight anemia
    blood was lipemic (fat cells in blood) likely from insulin resistance)

Sadly, I dont know what half of the above means. I was expecting an email with copies of labs, but have yet to see it.

To make matters harder...the injectible pred never arrived. I never got a tracking #, but these folks have always been great. I gave my cc # and paid $50 on Monday. It was never processed. I lost it on the phone when they said they could have it to me by Monday. I just started sobbing. They are going to now try and have it overnighted to arrive on Saturday.

This is really not a good day, is it?

10. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Carolyn))))) I am so sorry for your bad day. And how can they have just lost the order that you just happen to need so desperatley?? I'm glad the tears helped get some service, but you shouldn't have to go through this.

Sending healing energies to Latte and some peace & comfort to you.

11. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

((Carolyn)) -

I tried to look up some info on the resistant enterococcus and so far haven't found much that is useful. I can tell you that the elevated anion gap could be related to dehydration and/or renal disease. I had a mildly elevated anion gap in some test I had a couple months ago and my friend looked it up for me and we determined that it wasn't anything I should freak out about. Since Latte was dehydrated and has suffered with renal issues, that could very likely explain that one result at least.

Hang in there - hopefully you'll have the injectible pred by Saturday. Latte is a lucky, lucky little girl to have a mama bean who takes such good care of her...

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I found this article on multiple drug resistant enterococcus. You should probably find out what strain(s) of enterococcus they found and what they specifically tested for in terms of AB resistance. There are sections on treatment but I don't know if all of these ABs are appropriate for cats. They do make reference to veterinary studies but the focus is primarily in humans. It sounds like there can be resistance to one or more AB so it may help if you can ask about how they know which ABs the sensitivity was tested against. Orbax can amplify the effects of other ABs, like amoxicillin, which is also effective with e. coli -- and the article mentions using combinations of ABs to treat enterococcus.

13. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Sending Healing Vines to dear Latte & comfort to you on a stressful day...

14. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Carolyn....I am so sorry you are having this kind of a day....I hope you and Latte will have a quiet night. Nothing like pulling the covers over your head when everything seems to be going wrong.
    I hope you get a call tomorrow from the U and hope that the lost meds arrive on Saturday too....
    Sending prayers and hugs to you both (((((Carolyn & Latte)))))

15. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hey Carolyn. I don't have a lot of words, as most probably know. But I can send you some BIG HUGS!!! It will get better.
    :YMHUG:

16. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Carolyn,
    Sorry to hear about Latte's infections. I'm saying a prayer for dear Latte. I hope the meds get to you soon.

17. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Carolyn))) I am so sorry about all of this. I have no words, just tears for you and Latte, and lots of (((hugs))).

18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

19. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

come on Latte, fight this infection. You know how to do it.

20. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

((hugs)) and healng vines and blizzards of snowflakes, prayers and love
    for the 2 of you.
    Always in my thoughts and heart.

21. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry about all of this - omg, what a day for you. the pred thing is almost too much, but glad that you should have it by saturday. i hope Latte can fight of these infections quickly. Mannie and I have you in our thoughts.

22. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Carolyn & Latte))))) Words cannot express what I hope you can feel as a great, comforting hug for Latte and you. You are both so brave and fighting so hard. I pray that beginning this evening everything will go smoothly--starting with the arrival of the injectible pred.--and that you will get the advice and action that you are entitled to from the university vets. Try to get some sleep tonight, and trust your Latte to care for herself when your schedule keeps you away from home for long periods of time.
    Thinking of you always,

Ella & Stu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.