1/7 mocha pmps 346 +3 306

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PeterDevonMocha, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/... all our attention. Is eating breakfast now.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/7 mocha amps 298

Good morning Devon,
    your sched looks ok to me, I counted about a total of 3 cans, of 3oz size, give or take.

Does Mocha get exercise during the day? Either by you or her just running around? Or is she one of those eat, poop and nap all day kitties?

3. PeterDevonMocha

Well I can't say that I devote X minutes out of the day playing with her, but I can honestly say that usually two or three times a day on my way out to the other end of the house I stop by her toy box and toss some toys for her, which she will run after. Some days she will pick them up in her mouth and howl with them until she finds me, then I toss them for her till she tires of it. Every now and then at night we bring out "the bird" but they can't play with that for to long, our other cat starts panting quite soon. I will say that most afternoons mocha will nap for a few hours. That's always her slowest part of the day. Often at night before bed, mocha and twix will chase each other through the house, and sometimes they do that in the morning as well.

I also wanted to mention that anytime that mocha has a number on her SS, and if it is around the time she normally eats, she always eats after the tests, not before. That way there isn't a food spike, or there shouldn't be anyways.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I wonder if feeding a little less but more often would help to level things out. I feed Gabby 1/8 of a can of FF definitely at +2 and then set the feeder (if I'm not home) for +4 and around +6. I may give another snack at +8 or 9 when I get back home. At one point, Jojo had suggested to me that feeding during the more active, early part of the cycle might be helpful given how dramatically Gabby's BG levels could change. You may just need to experiment with timing and quantity.

5. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you move that food that you normally give at 5-5:30 back to 4-4:30 or does that not work with your
    schedule? Sometimes if they do not eat a good 4 hours before PS time, it shows a lower number...also if she is
    eating during the night, she might just be eating close to the AMPS time too.
    Playing around with the amount of food and the time of feeding helps a lot...
    Ronnie & Luna a perfect examples of that!

6. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 1/7 mocha amps 298 +4 228

I can move the food schedule/amount around a bit. Im pretty much here with her all day. The only thing is even after mocha eats around 5 or 5:30, by pmps time she's been in and out of the kitchen 100 times giving me the "im starving" look. I know she isn't really starving but she sure does make me feel bad by not feeding after 6! And with her being a vocal cat, sometimes those last two hours seem like twenty hours.

Depending on how the cats are sleeping through the night depends on what time we take away mochas food. If she is howling and pawing at the door, peter will get up and remove her food and open up the bedroom door, remove twix's food, and then we go back to sleep, this can range from 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. If both cat's are sleeping through the night, then unfortunately, we do too and the food isn't removed until we get up around 7, so she has a longer access to food. Some mornings the food bowl is licked spotless, other mornings there can remain a 1/4 to a 1/2 can left over.

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1/7 mocha amps 298 +4 228 +6 176

I actually find that feeding makes a big difference in the Preshot numbers so it's good to fiddle with the timings...find out what works best
    for you and Mocha......
    It seems there has been a lot of discussion about this topic on various condos today. :D (I always have freeze-dried
    chicken on hand which gets them out of your hair...maybe...but you run the risk of starting a habit if you resort to that...
    lol...they can be so precise with their schedules, right?)

(I usually do a feeding at +4 and then at +8....so if you skip the +6 one that you are giving and add that food to the +8 which would be around 4ish of so, right? That's the time I feed mine..(4:30 actually..then shot time is 8:30) That might carry her over so she isn't begging between 6-8... My two are used to this schedule so it seems to be ok for us.
    I dunno...everyone has different tricks. Some give lots of small meals all day up until +8 or so. Whatever you try, abstaining for at least the 4 hours before preshot seems to be preferable..) And now I feel as if I am starving myself now--soooo hungry!...sigh...LOL...all this talk about food....

8. PeterDevonMocha

ok, well I just fed mocha, I fed her a 1/2 can instead of her usual 1/2 can, and she walked away with a 1/2 can still left in her bowl. I don't mind swapping meal times and amounts around, but I do have a question. Mocha is not regulated yet, she has wild spikes from way high to way low. Is a more "set" feeding time for her appropriate at this point? Sometimes she is just begging for food and if I check her before she gets food, she can be high still so I feel like I should feed her, even if it isn't her "normal" time to eat yet. Does this make sense?

9. Ronnie & Luna

I know what u mean, I'm wondering if feeding/offering smaller portions might help with the food spikes?

let's see about others feedback

10. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Hi Devon,

Thanks for replying with a food schedule a lot more exact than what I expected... I can't remember when I snacked last, but I know I did!
    Anyways.... here is what was in my mind.... and it goes back to something Greg wrote to Kathy/Kitty or you even - i can't remember.
    I believe it said something like... perhaps consider giving a heavy snack at onset to depend the start of the insulin. Keep the normal size snack for the feeding time. It's a bit like reverse psychology... Having a good size snack at onset should soften the drop.
    Again... no expert here... was just thinking to see if we could get Mocha a roller coaster a little less dramatic, and a touch more comfortable.
    Could you add a 'snk' or x to your SS when food is served to keep track of your experiment? I leave it up to you... you know what works best in your house and for Mocha.

I know what you mean about the crying and the i'm totally starving eyes.... I still get that too.... like right now! :roll:

11. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 1/7 mocha amps 298 +4 228 +6 176 pmps 346

mocha slept after her 4 o'clock snack all the way up until her pmps. It's snowing steadily here. I think she's got the winter blues! Not real sure why she bounced all the way up into the pinks when she only went into high blues but that's mocha I guess.

I can try to give her more to eat when the insulin starts to kick in. That is normally around +3, right? Should I do a 1/2 can instead of the 1/4 can?

We would really love to see mocha level out.

12. Ronnie & Luna

Re: 1/7 mocha amps 298 +4 228 +6 176 pmps 346

go for it, i do a mini meal around there to sometimes, if he asks for it

:)

13. PeterDevonMocha

ok, tomorrow I will switch things up a little!

14. Ronnie & Luna

whatever u do , track the progress in ur SS or ur notes, no huge drastic food changes thou right? it took me forever to get it going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.