1/7 Jan and Buddy AMPS 274

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan and Buddy, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

I guess he is trying to catch up to Luna!!!!!! :cool:

Ketones-Negative

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

lol! That's ok, Luna's being a slug, so Buddy has plenty of time to catch up lol

Yai for no ketones!!

Have a good day Jan! :D

3. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

color test for Jan

let's see!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Much nicer number for Buddy this morning.

5. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Re: 1/7 Jan and Buddy PMPS 359

Back to pretty in pink!! :roll: :roll:

6. Ronnie & Luna

hmm, couple of spotchecks tonite?

:)

7. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Re: 1/7 Jan and Buddy Buddy's Test results.

I'm going to type this as it is on the results sheets I got. Pay attention to the dates and the time stamps. Well even tho I'm confused at what he is saying here, at least Buddy's numbers are showing that he IS NOT Acro!!

PAGE 1 OF 1

Procedure: Ref.Range
    Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 68 (12-92)
    Insulin Autoantibody 72

12/18/2009 15:29 Endocrinology Interpretation
    The normal concentration of insulin-like growth factor 1 does not provide support for a differential diagnosis of acromegaly.
    For both dogs and cats, insulin autoantibody index result below a value of 20 are viewed as normal, or negative. This result supports a significant presence of insulin-binding antibody as a possible cause of insulin resistance. What signs are present?

Below-This info was after I think he talked to one of the Vets where I take Buddy.

PAGE 1 OF 2

12/18/2009 15:29 Endocrinology Interpretation

December 31, 2009 This report is reissued in follow-up to additional information on the history of insulin treatment in this cat. The approach to dealing with insulin autoantibody formation as the cause of insulin resistance is not well defined. One option is to try other forms of insulin. Regardless of the form of insulin, one can be on a 'roller coaster' of increasing the dose of insulin and then getting a response of hypoglycemia necessitating a decrease in the dose.

PAGE 2 OF 2

12/18/2009 15:29 Endocrinology Interpretation:
    Report revised on 12/31/2009 14:16
    Previously reported as:
    The normal concentration of insulin-like growth factor 1 does not provide support for a differential diagnosis of acromegaly.

For both dogs and cats, insulin autoantibody index result below a value of 20 are viewed as normal, or negative. This result supports a significant presence of insulin-binding antibody as possible cause of insulin resistance What signs are present?

Signed
    Kent R Refsal DVM PhD
    Professor, Endocrinology.

ANY THOUGHTS ????????

8. Ronnie & Luna

I dont understand the mumbo jumbo - and its awesome mumbo jumbo I think

- at least good news on the acro results!!
    YA!!! :mrgreen:

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi jan! i've put a shout out in the high dose group to get some experienced eyes over here.
    someone should be stopping by soon...

11. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Thanks everyone.

I just wanted to post the actual written results to see what thoughts are. I pretty much have read up on an Acro kitty. So glad the numbers are low.

12. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

((((Jan))))

good news about the acro test! And ok, IAA is something that can be dealt with. There are a few people here who have done it, and one is even OTJ now!

Have you introduced yourself on the High Dose board yet? I know you've talked with Patti.

13. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

hey jan, jill just sent me this thread.
    okay not acro, cool. but yeah you have an IAA cat. okay that can be dealt with. (it is actually a much better dx than acro). and this dx does make sense based on what i saw on your SS as far as R response.
    i've been out sick so i don't know you very well, so a few questions...how much lantus do you have left? (like did you just get the free lantus?) imho, it would be a good idea to switch to lev before your dose got too high and then it is too hard to change. but that would need a special plan in case the lev response was similar to the R response and it is just lantus to which antibodies have built up to at this stage.
    how is your cat's overall health and well being? (didn't see a WCR in first post there).
    need you to go take a look at sandy/BK's SS. there has not been a plethora of IAA cats on this board, is a pretty rare condition, so we have no idea if your doses will get that high before the IAA breaks. also go to old FDMB and look through HD ISG for the old IAA threads. there was some links and thoughts posted there when sandy/BK was dx'ed. there is another IAA cat on board, sharon/fiona but i haven't seen them around in a long time.
    did your vet talk to you at all about this condition? do you understand what it is?
    ~jojo

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

15. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi Jan,

Saw the post from HD and popped in. I don't have an IAA kitty, I have an acro.. and I just noticed Jojo got here, so I don't have much to add, but wanted to add my support and also confirm what Jojo said about Levemir. Call around to pharmacies tomorrow and see what they've got pricewise, and see if they have discount programs. Get prices on both vials and pens. There are lots of nice things about Levemir, and I think you'll have zero trouble with it whatsoever. The very nicest thing about Levemir is that it lasts longer than Lantus does as far as opened vial/cartridge. Minimum should be 42 days but there are a lot of people here who say they get longer. Me, I can't tell you my experience with how long it lasts because I buy a new vial every 3 weeks at 25.5u BID LOL At your dose, you should be fine getting pens, but if your dose starts creeping upwards, you might look into cost effectiveness of vials.

The good news is that now you have a diagnosis and you're free to take an aggressive stance. There are a couple girls from LL who've been down this path before and I know at least 1 of them is off the juice. Can't remember about Fiona but BK is, as Jojo mentioned she's got a good bit of data recorded. There's a sticky in the High Dose forum for what we know about our High Dose kitties and IAA is included, though our info is pathetic at best.

Feel free to post in High Dose with any concerns or questions you may have. Can't say we'll know the answer but we'll damn sure give it a shot! Also, your home is still here in LL, so don't think I'm telling you that you have to leave LOL. You just have a second home (think Aspen!) now. (((((hugs)))))) and DAMN GLAD he's not an acro!!
    ..C

16. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Thanks Carolyn!!
    I'm ready to fall asleep so I will do alot of research over the weekend. Just out of curosity, do you have any idea how much LEV????
    Jan

17. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

How much it costs, or how much you'll use? Your dose will be much the same as what you're shooting now when you make the crossover. Costs vary by location, for instance I know Lorna (another acromom) pays about $10 more per vial than I do up north, and my vial was $10 more when I picked one up in NY than it is here in VA. If you find it more than $150 for the pens in your location, recommend you get them from Canada. If you one day need to switch to vials because his dose has gone up that much, you will find them around $100 for 500u. Unfortunately, Canada does not sell the vials, so you will then need to price locally or stick with the pens. Regardless, you should find Lev to be less expensive (10-20%) than Lantus pretty much anywhere in the US, and also at the online Canadian pharmacies. Remember to find out which pharmacies locally have discount cards because some are a great help. I save 20% at RiteAid here having a card, which beats the pants off the competitors because RiteAid was cheaper than they were to begin with. :)

18. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

(((Jan)))

Happy you got the test results back today and that the acro test was negative! IAA - well, that just makes Buddy even more special and can be worked with. Keeping you in my thoughts. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.