1/6 Indy AMPS 79 PMPS 84 - dosing ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jamy & Indy, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamy & Indy

Jamy & Indy Member

Yesterday's condo

WCR: I am continually amazed at how much more alert Indy is this last week or 2. He used to just lay around and sleep most of the day. Now he still lays around a lot, but his head is up and he's awake watching what is going on. He never was interested in playing with any sort of toy & now all you have to do is mention bubbles and he comes running. Wow, what a different cat! :dizcat

Another day of surf, surf and more surf.

Now the big question - is he ready to have his dose reduced to .10? Today is day 7 on the .25 dose and he has been Mr Consistent the entire time. I've read the protocol and it doesn't really say how long to hold a dose before decreasing it. I want to get him off the insulin, but don't want to rush him and then end up taking a big step backwards. Any suggestions?

2. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Re: 1/6 Indy AMPS 79 PMPS 84 - dose question

WOW, another nice day for Indy and what a great WCR!

I don't have a magic answer to your big question:

"Now the big question - is he ready to have his dose reduced to .10? Today is day 7 on the .25 dose and he has been Mr Consistent the entire time. I've read the protocol and it doesn't really say how long to hold a dose before decreasing it. I want to get him off the insulin, but don't want to rush him and then end up taking a big step backwards. Any suggestions?"

I don't think there is a magic number of days. I understand that the goal is the give the max number of days for the pancreas to heal... some people wait 14 cycles, some people wait 14 days.... for a Mr. Consistent, it' thougher I think because he doesn't really tell you that it's too much insulin. I am not helping am I?

Tell yourself this.... after others chime in to offer more or similar choices... you can always return to the previous dose if the reduction doesn't stick.

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/6 Indy AMPS 79 PMPS 84

They actually just revised this part of the protocol this week. :mrgreen:

"Phase 4: Reducing the dose
    When the cat regularly has its lowest BGs in the normal range of a healthy cat and stays under 100 mg/dl overall for at least one week, attempt to reduce the dose."

So it looks to me like you can go to 0.1 whenever you're ready. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

4. Jamy & Indy

Jamy & Indy Member

Now the $64,000 questions - how the heck do you measure a .1 U? confused_cat I was having a hard time with .25.

We do have the syringes with the 1/2 unit markings. I've read in other condos about counting drops, but for some reason the drops come out of the syringe in different sizes. Some are larger drops than others. So, I don't know how to get an accurate, consistent .1. Any suggestions?

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

this might help: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29764149@N02/2783154839/
    just do the best you can. it's all any of us can do. :D
    good luck with the reduction!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Congrats on the decrease!!

7. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Congrats on the dosecrease! And good luck measuring. :mrgreen: