1/06 Morris +9 218; PMPS 284

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gwen and Morris, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1391

YIKES! I was in a super rush this morning & didn't have time to even post for assistance! I thought his AMPS was a little low, so I delayed everything & retested him 15 mins later. It wasn't a huge drop, but it was a drop none the less! I couldn't delay his insulin any longer as I needed to get the kids & I on the road! I decided to dosecrease him to 1.5u for this morning. Did I do the right thing? I am at work all day & can't even check on him! I'm a little nervous! nailbite_smile

I will be leaving work a bit early this afternoon & heading straight to see my doctor - meaning I will probably be home later than usual tonight. I will test him as soon as I get home & see how he is doing! I will also have my kids check on his behavior when they get home from school this afternoon (they can't test him).

2. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Re: 1/06 Morris AMPS 81; +15 min 79

81 and 79 are basically the same number. Testing on a different ear at the same time can give more variation than that.
    To be on the safe side have your kids feed some LC to Morris when they get home. Great that they will be able to report any off behavior to you.
    Looks like a real good time to start doing some night time spot checks to see where he is going during the night.

3. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Hi Gwen, You did the right thing in giving the shot. However, if it were me, I would have fed some medium carb food and reduced the dose down even further (to 1.25 - called a BCS dose, not a dosecrease) since you really don't know if it was a rising or falling number. How old are the kids?? Maybe it's time to teach one or more to test?? Anyway, they CAN report to you on any unusual behavior such as walking into things or shaking the head or general confusion (Morris that is, that's SOP for kids :lol: ). And if they report any of that, then you can instruct them what to do til you get home...high carb food or even Karo at that point since that would be a symptomatic hypo.

Don't want to scare you...that green really came up outta nowhere...maybe start getting a +11 in the morning so you have time to get help before you have to run out the door???

4. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

He will have food available to him today.....LC is in his timed feeder for snacks at +2, +5 and +8. The kids (ages 10 & 12) will be home around +7 and I will get them to check on his behavior & food consumption then. Neither of the kids, nor dh are the least bit interested in learning how to test and/or give insulin to Mr Morris! They will, on occaision, assist me with the tasks, but they want nothing to do with being the main person for these tasks! I have to go out of town overnight next month, so I will have to put Morris into the kennel while I am away. Thankfully, we have a great place here in town that is very experienced with feline diabetes! They will test BG & give insulin for me.

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Gwen Gwen Gwen, Morris Morris Morris what's this all about? lol!! It's about - more nite time spotchecks please!! Morris - what a turn of events!! Nice AMPS!!!

I have an idea - maybe u could do an allowance or add to one of the kids allowance to start testing for u?
    Could that be an option? Money makes people do almost anything :lol: Heck - it could just be anything really - some kind of reward for helping mum!

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

If your not sure, going with what your comfortable with is important.

This is more of a food for thoughtquestion looking at Morris's ss
    Does he react to stress or stress levels in your home (stress may be the wrong word)Noticed he was high xmas eve and morning-Santa coming.
    Only ask as didn't see any suggestion of dry food or such like (I haven't been on board much lately)

He may be a smidge higher tonight because of reduced dose or it may not show up yet.
    Lucky could miss a dose and bg would stay relatively stable, other kitties would rocket-ECID.

Lucky you having a good FD resource for when your away :smile:

7. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Update.....dd is home from school & has reported to me that Morris is just fine! He still has food left uneaten, and he seems content as she was petting him. Will be interesting to see what his numbers look like when I get home!

I guess I must look sicker than I actually feel (headcold & can't hear in 1 of my ears!). My boss came to me awhile ago & asked how I was doing as I wasn't looking well. I told her I was seeing my dr this afternoon & hopefully she will have some good answers for me! My boss thinks I should take tomorrow off to rest & get completely better! She has already called & scheduled a replacement for me! Therefore, I will be able to get more testing done with Morris tomorrow & hopefully find out where this green has come from!

8. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

How nice of your boss to schedule a sick day for you so you can stay home and test Morris! I never had a boss like that!! cat(2)_steam

He will be fine tonight I'm sure...I'm just a worrywort! nailbite_smile nailbite_smile

9. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Re: 1/06 Morris AMPS 81; +15 min 79; +9 218

Just got home & tested him....218! I like that number! I checked his timed feeder & he only ate about 1/2 of his +2 and +3 snacks and there is still about 1/2 of his +5 snack sitting there.

Next question......should I keep him at the 1.5u or go back to his regular 1.75u this evening? I have to go out for awhile now (Mom Taxi time!) & won't get to test again until pre-shot time.

10. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/06 Morris AMPS 81; +15 min 79; +9 218

any chance for a +11.5 test?

11. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Re: 1/06 Morris +9 218; PMPS 284 - Advice ASAP?!?

Not a bad number! Does he earn a permanent dosecrease to 1.5u, or should I go ahead & give his usual 1.75u?

12. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

usually the BCS dose is just for that cycle, and then you go up to the regular dose the next cycle. IMHO, it would be nice to hold the dose that is giving him green, to see if he can get MORE green. You have to do what works for you, though.

Nice day, though!

13. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Thanks Lucy! I will go ahead with his regular 1.75u.....then I am going to have a sleeping pill & go to bed! I am still sick & need my rest! See you all tomorrow!

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sorry. I don't think Morris has earned a decrease. He hasn't seen numbers under 50 or lots of green. I'd move the dose back up to your usual 1.75. The response to the lowered dose is probably due to carry over from his shed. Once his shed is depleted, my hunch would be that Morris' number would not be as pretty. You might want to get some input from more experienced LL folks, but that's my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.