5/3 Latte Amps-576! +1.5~HI, PMPS-439, +3.25-306

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by carolynandlatte, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Last night
    PMPS-314
    +1.5-323
    +3.5-420
    +6-172!! (recheck 176)
    AMPS-576

Im scared. Trace ketones still present. She ate 3/4 jaar baby food, good amount of kibble, and some lucks of wet before bed. ?aybe a little water over night ...no food. Refusing food so far this a.m. Will try babyfood in a few minutes. She is on her throne, not wanting to be up and about. But purring and bright.

Still no poop, which is also very concerning.
    Hope to get into vet as soon as they open

2. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 5/3 Latte Amps-576!

(((Carolyn)))
    I am sorry Latte is not eating. I don't have any suggestions for you but I will be thinking positive thoughts for her vet visit. cat_pet_icon

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Wishing you all the luck with the vet visit. It's good she ate last night. Sending good appetite and feel better vines.
    Snowflakes and prayers that you nip this in the bud quickly.

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Carolyn....
    Your condo from yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13460

Wishing you lots of luck at the vet's....so much going on and now, all I have is hugs for you guys...
    Sending feel better and healing vines to latte and a million hugs to you (((((Carolyn & Latte)))))

5. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Carolyn,
    I'm adding my positive thoughts also for Latte today at the Vet and you, too.

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

((Carolyn ))
    Sending more hugs for you and Latte this morning and good news at the vet.

7. carolynandlatte

+1.5~ HI...checked twice. She ate about 1/4 jar baby food and is drinking lots of water. Gave fluids.

Guys, this is serious I think. If they have to keep her to treat for anything, I will have to let her go instead. My heart is just breaking.

I am not going to call the vet when they open. Latte and I will be on thei door step.

8. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Re: 5/3 Latte Amps-576! +1.5~HI

Thoughts prayers and vines coming your way Carolyn!

9. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Sending lots of prayers and snowflakes for your sweet girl, and for you.

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((carolyn and latte)))
    sending positive thoughts...

11. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Carolyn))). We're pulling for Latte.

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Carolyn, All those healing vines and snowflakes are being sent to dear Latte. I hope that the vet will give you a hopeful report that will raise your spirits. :YMHUG: Hugs to you both.

Ella & Stu

13. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

(((Carolyn))))
    healing vines your way for Latte.
    ((((hugs)))

14. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

So sorry, Carolyn. Lots of prayers and healing vines coming your way. ((((Carolyn and Latte))))

15. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending HUGS and healing vines to you and Latte :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

16. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines and energies to Latte. ((((Carolyn)))), I hope everything goes well at the vet.

17. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Re: Post Vet update for Carolynn

Just spoke to Carolynn and said I post a brief update, she'll fill you all in on the details later tonight when she's home... she didn't want everyone in a panic over the keytones and ramifications of that all day when she'd not have a chance to update everyone until much later...

Latte does NOT have keytones!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! Consensus seems to be that her strips have gone bad. They use the same strips at the vet, and did not get any keytones readings. (Rumor has it she was over 600 this am! :shock: ) Sounds like she was down to about 450 or so when Carolynn took her in. She said she only dropped 50 points from the visit... (here I was thinking she just needs to make a daily trip to the vet to get those numbers down until they start to make sense again!)

They got a good (sterile) urine sample so will be doing the Uranalysis and spec gravity (I think). He thinks Latte has rebounding going on, but also agrees that it really doesn't make sense, and will be consulting with others today with more experience on advice there. For now, Latte is home and chilling, just annoyed that Carolynn isn't there doting on her.

I could only speak to her briefly at work...so there's your short story for today. All in all...sounds like still a lot of questions, but for the short term, I think that's pretty fantastic news! NO keytones!!!

18. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Thank you, Thank you Amy for posting on their behalf. This is a big relief, I am so happy for the positive news!!

19. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good update!

20. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thanks Amy! It's a huge relief for Carolyn, I'm sure.

21. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((((((Amy))))) Thank you so much for updating all of us. I am literally in tears at the thought of what might have had to happen. Praying for Carolyn and Latte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad:

22. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, Amy. I wondered about the strips and was going to suggest that Carolyn test them on herself! Hopefully all of Latte's health issues will resolve themselves, too. Vines, snowflakes, prayers are continuing to be sent.

Ella

23. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

the no eating is what concerns me most (besides high numbers).
    did xray get taken or anything to explain the no eating?
    sending loads of "feel better and be okay, latte" vibes from here.

24. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Amy! So happy about the negative ketones...whew...at least that is not an issue.
    Well Carolyn....we are all thinking about you and Latte and praying like crazy for her! Shadow sends kisses and he wants her to know he misses her. Raja wants to go over there and stay with her to help her if you are working. They are both worried and we are all sending lots of HUGS to you both!
    (((((Carolyn and Latte)))))

25. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

((((((Carolyn)))))) (((((((Latte))))))

sending snowflakes and vines to fix whatever is making Latte feel not so great. Come on girl!!!

26. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending snowflakes and vines and positive thoughts. ((((Carolyn)))) ((((Latte)))) We are all thinking about you, and hope all is OK.

27. carolynandlatte

Hi everyone.
    Sorry its taken so long to get on and update. Two jobs with only 1 hr between didnt make it possible. Thanks to Amy for updating people! I think she covered a good amount. The vet was prepared to see us at the front doors when they opened, but we were not there because Latte wanted to eat some food. Thats just a reminder that she is in charge of ALL our lives! :lol: He either delayed, or went back and forth in a surgery for us. What a wonderful, wonderful guy! he is so dedicated to us.

First and foremost, I want to offer my gratitude for those offering such great support. I would also like to thank "Cats in Need" and anyone who contributes to the fund (on latte's behalf or any other cat). Today did not cost us much at all in the end. But, at the last minute I was relieved of feeling forced to pts IF ketones or other great complications were and issue. I was given a choice, unrestricted of finances. I went back and forth from tears of fear to tears of gratitude. Please know these donations DO make a difference in both the life of the cat and the bean.

So the ketones were negative. They use the same strips I have. Mine are definately bad, so I should get some new ones. Someone mentioned checking on myself when not sure. Thats a really good idea. I will remember that in the future. I knew that my tests could possibly be wrong. I also knew with what has been going on, they could also be right. I was pretty scared when I saw her AMPS, then her HI this a.m. (tested it twice, just to add salt to the wound). She did not like these numbers. She went between acting weird...alert but kind of confused to lethargic. Hard to explain. Her vet claims that as long as she is getting insulin the possibilities of ketones is very slim. Im not sure if I buy it, from what I have read. Im still very nervous as she continues the high numbers. I will go get some new strips tomorrow.

She had a urinalysis and culture done. He said if nothing grows, then the a/b she is on (orbax) is probably doing the trick. He gave me another 5 days...ten days total. I do see improvements. She is peeing in ...or rather FROM the inside of her box. Normal for her. *knock on wood* she has not peed herself or outside the box from what I can tell in about 36hrs. Her shaved butt also looks good. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately she had to have a rectal exam because she was so stressed (and tight). I cant believe with 2 days of no pooping she had NOTHING in there. And yes, she HAS been eating enough where poop should have been coming out. he thinks I should check around the house. I really dont think its been deposited elsewhere. Thankfully she left a brown nugget in the box for me by the time I got home. Not great, but better than nothing! I use lactulose twice daily on her, and have slightly increased the dose in the last 48hrs.

As for her BG's. He spent about 10 minutes looking at her ss, along with another vet and came back to tell me (with a look of defeat) he had NO idea what was going on. To him it looked like she was having severe episodes of somogyl (sp)...aka bouncing. He wondered if my meter was reading higher than she actually was and she was going too low. I explained how dozens of cats on this site (if not more) do it daily from higher numbers. He was suprised, but believed me and crossed that off his list. I think it just puzzled him more. He decided to resort to consultation with 'his' online community. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with this route. I appreciate his ability to know when he doesnt know something.

Unfortunately, the collaborative efforts of the veterinarian community he reached out to have not been able to figure it out either. Many compliments on her ss, though! They all agree on her bouncing. Some think she may be getting too much insulin. Others are not convinced of it. its not recommended to increase at this point. It was also collectively agreed that R would only perpetuate the problem..so dont do it! The numbers could be related to her UTI, and there could be some relation to the increase in pred. So we are suppose to sit on it?!?! :YMSIGH: The vet does want to get this resolved, as he even admitted this is NOT good. Everytime I test Im terrified. I dont know if I want to see something high or low. Low just means high eventually, and high means a great big drop around the corner!

I am really glad I have been testing in these high numbers, as hard as it is to see. Had I not tested her +3.5 last night, I would have assumed she dropped 170pts in 2.5hrs. Instead I saw she dropped 270pts. that is H U G E!!! And, that can clearly explain why she hit a HI this a.m. I guess its a good lesson. When you have a cat running high, or seemingly in a bounce, you may just want to keep testing anyway. Secrets you never imagined could be revealed.

She is doing good. Some kibble was gone while at work both today and tonight. She ate some wet from a can at the vet, and a little wet before we left. Also some baby food this a.m. On my hour off she demanded under cover cuddle time and even fell asleep (me too, almost!). I wish I could have been home more today. I know she really likes me being here, even if she sleeps the day and night away.

The Plan:
    *continue a/b's for the full ten days and recheck urine.
    *decrease pred from 5mg 2x/day to 2.5 2x/day. I will not do this until I can be home to monitor BG's starting Thursday night. Keep the lower dose of pred unless she becomes symptomatic again.
    *keep insulin @ 2u for now, decrease if necessary when pred is decreased. Do not raise and do not use R
    *Continue monitoring for ketones (get new strips)
    *Vet will follow up at end of week

Dang this was long. I continue to look for thoughts on her BG's, but will address that in another condo...another day.

Again, thank you EVERYONE.

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One possible issue to put on the table...

Can you find an alternative to Lactulose. It contains lactose and other sugars. It's probably not the best alternative for a diabetic kitty and may be inflating Latte's numbers. I wish I could remember who posted about a similar product that was primarily petroleum jelly. It was this past weekend.

Your vet sounds incredible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.