04/27 Jake AMPS 279 Update on spot checks

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA), Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's condo:http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13002&p=130463#p130463

I was able to do spot checks every 2 hours last night and then got up early to do a +11. His level was steadily decreasing as the evening went on and I thought about the comments regarding him going low, so I gave him a small syringe meal at +6. Maybe it wasn't the best idea but I felt that if he goes too low then shoots back up, maybe I could give his liver a little break (based on yesterday's liver lesson :)
    I don't know if this is what helped or not, but his level this morning was 279 which is lower than it has been the last couple of days. Nothing else has changed regarding diet though he may be eating more homemade chicken than usual because I just made him one yesterday.
    I will do a few more spot checks evenings this week to see how he is doing.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

That was a beautiful curve from last night! Hopefully, you've seen this info (it's in the "New to Lantus... sticky) about what to expect from a typical/ideal curve:

+0 - PreShot number.
    +1 - Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number.
    +3 - Lower than the PreShot number, onset has started.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 - Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle).
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (may dip around +10 or +11).
    +12 - PreShot number.

It's fine to feed during the cycle. In fact, may of us feed snacks routinely. One consideration about feeding at +6 is that this is the point where Lantus is usually beginning to wear off and numbers will be rising. The addition of food may an increase in BG due to the presence of food with not as much insulin to offset it's action. You might want to consider giving a few bites of food at around +3 or +4. Most of the time, though, using food to help the cycle is a matter of trial and error since ECID.

The AMPS number may also mean that the rebound broke. I think we need to see if Jake is bouncing on the blue numbers so you have a better idea of where some of those high numbers come from but this is a great start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.