4/19 Rollercoaster Boy, GUM Day 12, +10=52, PM=78

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12330

More puke. He's puked every day except one in the last week. This happens every once in a while and its upsetting. Some pukes were small, some not. Today's was medium. I gave him some pepsid in his food this morning but I'm paranoid that he may not have eaten it all because it's such a small amount. I'd feel better about giving it to him in part of a pill pocket because I KNOW he'd eat it.

I could bring him to the vet, but what could she do? It took her over a year to figure out he had IBD - she wanted to do an exploratory surgery - just cut him open and try to figure it out. I'm scared. He's finally having some success.

Oh and the WCR is that he's hungry and his usual self. Playing, etc.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/19 Rollercoaster Boy, GUM Day 12, AMBG - 138

if you think it's an ibd issue that's causing the pukus - try this -

only feed one flavor and brand for a week. see how he holds that down, then you can try other flavors/brands and feed only that for a week.

once you find the ones that he can manage best, that's what you feed and go through one case before changing it up.

It's what I did with Maui to control her IBD (poopy) issues. Now we eat mainly poultry flavors and she's 90% eating raw, which is even better.

3. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

(((Traci & Boomer))) It's gonna be ok. Puke can raise levels, as you know. He'll come down!

Ok, Boomer...You've made it to day 12...only two more to go, so let's get your act together!!!

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

yup I agree .. he will come down, you'll see! Feel better soon little man ....

5. Traci and Boomer

Hi Ladies-

Thanks for the kind words. It's almost time for the +3, but he's been eating the whole time.

And Hillary - THANK YOU!!!!! for that idea! I'll give that a shot! I DO switch his food around a lot - give him lots of variety, so it would be hard to pinpoint which foods are causing him the trouble. What would I do without you guys???? My vet would NEVER have come up with this idea.

6. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

Yeah, I think vets get like 5 minoots worth of nutritional education :cry: I hope the pepsid helps.....poor lil guy.

But on the bright side....IT'S GUM-DAY 12!

7. Traci and Boomer

+3 = 53!

With no insulin! Can you believe it?

8. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Boomer...let's see some boring greens now,k? Happy Day 12...you're almost done!!! Yay!!
    Bring that down, okay little guy?

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/19 Rollercoaster Boy, GUM Day 12, AMBG - 138, +3 = 53

TracI:

This is from Dr. Lisa's site:

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Boomer, you are doing GREAT! Only 2 days to go. Go for it!

Stu

Hi Traci, He'll be fine. Try the food thing and don't worry.

Ella

11. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

How did you figure out that Boomer has IBD? Did you ever do the surgery or diagnose it another way? Not to worry you, but I ask because a couple years ago Quincy started vomiting with increasing frequency, and they did an x-ray that showed intestinal thickening. My vet told me the thickening could mean either IBD or lymphoma, and warned me that 11 year old cats usually don't develop IBD. He was willing to treat the vomiting alone, with steroids, but encouraged me to go the biopsy route (via surgery) so that we would know what we were dealing with and could treat it properly/aggressively early on. I decided to do it, and am glad I did. It turned out that Quincy had heliobacter in his stomach (it's a bad bacteria that in people is related to ulcers), IBD in his large intestine, and small cell lymphoma in a lymph node by his stomach and small intestine. Had I just started Quincy on a steroid, it might have helped with the vomiting in the short run while the lymphoma got worse. So in my case, I'm glad we were aggressive in how we diagnosed Quincy. I feel like we were lucky to catch the lymphoma early.

Again, Boomer's situation may be very different, but I wanted to share this with you. It might help to keep a puke log along with your BG log, if you don't do that already. That way you can see if the frequency/nature of Boomer's vomiting changes over time and/or is related to certain triggers.

Good luck finishing your OTJ trial, and best wishes for good Boomer health.

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 12 Traci & Boomer.
    Max is waiting to show you around the falls.
    Just 2 more days!

13. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

If I wasn't so lazy.. I'd go back through condo's to right before you started your trial where I warned you Boomer liked to travel ;)

14. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Day 12..WooHoo!

15. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

(((Traci))) I can imagine how anxiety-provoking this is for you!

I'll just mention this, even though it may not be relevant: As we've tried to wean Kitty off FF, we got major pukus after feeding Wellness. It was suggested that this might be because of the higher fat content in Wellness and Evo 95% (both about 10% higher fat than FF), which can upset some kitty tummies. so if you're going to try just one food for a week, maybe it can be something with lower fat content.

Keep it up, Boomer!

16. Traci and Boomer

Hi Guys-

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to go cat food shopping today.

Boomer was diagnosed with IBD because he had a biopsy. It's his small intestine that the problem is in. He also had other tests and he formerly had pancreatitis. My former cat Biscuit (GA) was going through major problems at the same time as Boomer was being diagnosed so sometimes I get them mixed up. I really need to call the vet and get his files.

17. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 12 Boomer get to feeling better and give your Mama bean a no puke day tomorrow

18. Traci and Boomer

...and the final choice is Sophisticat Duck and Rice (yes, it's low carb even tho it has rice) it's 8 carbs a can. He always eats this for me.

Question: I need to give him the freeze dried chicken as a treat. Is having 2 foods an issue?

What do I do if he pukes? Switch to another kind of food?

19. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Sorry Boomer's tummy isn't feeling good lately :sad:

Nice bring down Boomer, you're going to keep your bean on her toes all the way to the falls aren't you? :twisted:

20. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Traci & Boomer))) Happy Day 12!! Ok.. I am feeling REALLY stupid.. I had no idea who "rollercoaster boy" was.. I feel bad for being gone! So much Drama in my world lately.. I guess I just missed the obvious!! It is you & Boomer!!! Gooooooooo Boomer!! Feel better.. No pukus & no more hiding from me now!! :mrgreen:

21. Traci and Boomer

Hah! Yeah we've been on a rollercoaster during this trial - I mean his numers are nuts. 138 to 53! That's just crazy. BUT - at least his bringing himself down. WHEW. We're starting a food trial today. I really hope it helps me figure out what is making him puke.

22. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Pukes suck. I went through a lot of carpet cleaner stuff while I was figuring out Echo pukes when he eats beef ohmygod_smile I think there are still stains I haven't cleaned yet.

23. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

I'm really glad to read that you had a biopsy done! It's a major pain in the butt, to put it mildly, but having that certainty in diagnosis is very valuable.

He very well could be sensitive to food changes. I have found that keeping Quincy on a very narrow spectrum of foods (primarily a mixture of Merrick Cowboy Cookout and shredded boiled chicken breast) and using mini-meals helps a lot in managing his GI issues.

24. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy day 12, wow what a roller coaster ride, wishing Boomer a better belly! Poor guy!!!

25. Traci and Boomer

Hi Laura-

I'm starting the food trial tonight. I agree that Boomer probably is sensitive to food changes too. My fear with the food trial is that he may start not wanting to eat this food because he's sick of it. I chose the "duck and rice" because he's never refused it even in his pickiest mood! I'm curious to see what happens.

26. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Crossing our paws for you over here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.