4/18 Kasha AMPS 219, +2~ 67

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by kryskat, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

Kasha didn't seem impressed with her Wellness Turkey this morning. By following her around, I got her to eat over a Tbsp of it, then resorted to chicken dust. So then EVERYONE has to have chicken dust on their food. Sigh.

I woke up on the couch last night to the sounds of Kasha hissing at Blue (my kitty with the foot tumor). Blue's brother, Big White Cat has pretty much been terrified of Blue since we had to start bandaging his foot last month. Usually Kasha has no problem with him as long as he leaves her alone, so it was odd. Then I realized he was following her around and bugging her - odd behavior. I wondered if he knew something I didn't, so I checked her BG and it was 141. No idea. About an hour after that they were both sleeping next to me on the bed. I think they stage these little dramas when they realized I've actually got a chance at getting some real sleep.

2. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hi Kyrs,
    Thats some drop there! Probably related to little food, eh? Hows the +3 looking?

Nothing wrong with a little chicken dust! :mrgreen:

Hope you have a wonderful day.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Carolyn, It was a good catch and a fast drop. I'd test at +2.5 or +3. If you haven't done so, I'd see if Kasha will eat a couple of bites of low carb food to sofetn this drop. Do you have HC food in the house? You may need this to help steer the numbers this morning since there's a bit of momentum building here.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i agree. go ahead and feed this. it's quite a drop. you'll want to slow that drop down...

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there!

any updates on Kasha?

You mentioned chicken dust, gotta love that chicken dust, I went thru the same, works like a charm most of the time :lol:

6. kryskat

Re: 4/18 Kasha AMPS 219, +2~ 67, +3 34

This seems to happen with her - the quick drop. Same thing as last morning. I did get her to eat most of her breakfast, so I don't know if it's just food...

She's eating some HC food now - gravy stuff.

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

retest in 15 minutes and post the number please...

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Good job with the HC. Don't over feed. You want just enough to bump the numbers up to the 50 - 60 range and then to keep Kasha surfing.

9. kryskat

Re: 4/18 Kasha AMPS 219, +2~ 67, +3.25 57

ok - +3.25 is 57 (10:06) or 66 (10:07) or 72 (10:08) - I tested 3 times in a row to be sure she was going up

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

good. It's early in the cycle, so I would feed a little low carb now and test in 1/2 hour. She'll probably bobble up and down a little bit for a while and could drop again.

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Are you OK on strips? You posted last night that you had 50 to last until May 3.

12. kryskat

Re: 4/18 Kasha AMPS 219, +2~ 67,

She's up to around 100 now ... at about +3.75.

I didn't post that about test strips - I pretty much feel like I bought stock in them - I just opened a new container of 50 and have an unopened container of 50 and 100 more on order... lol

So, I'm looking at reducing her dose. I need to buy some new syringes hopefully today, with the 1/2 unit markings so I can have a better idea how much I'm actually giving her. I tried to take a photo of the syringe before I shot this morning, but my good camera is not at my house so I couldn't get a good pic.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

when was kasha diagnosed?

14. kryskat

Re: 4/18 Kasha AMPS 219, +4 ~ 128

DX 3/12/10, I believe. Started on Lantus 2 units, twice a day on 3/14/10 pm...

15. Jill & Alex (GA)

Re: 4/18 Kasha AMPS 219, +4 ~ 128

then i'd take the dose down to 0.5 unit. "if" kasha is high at pmps, you could shoot 0.75u (to shoot through rebound) and then take the reduction in the morning.
    it's up to you...

16. kryskat

Re: 4/18 Kasha AMPS 219, +4~128

I think I'm too afraid to give another .75 dose (or whatever I've been giving). In the past when I've seen signs of rebound, she's dropped fast from a high number so I'd rather not chance it. I need to get those new syringes with 1/2 unit markings and compare. I think I'm giving over .5 units (hence my estimate of .75), but I'm apparently visually-spatially challenged enough that I can't tell without some 1/2 unit markings on the syringe to compare to. Whatever she's been getting, she's getting less after today.

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

lol! that's fine. :D

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Other than mail order, the only place that I found that carries the syringes with 1/2 unit markings is Walmart -- their Relion brand. Hocks does ship very quickly and carries several brands with half units.

(Sorry about the strip thing. Brain fart -- it was someone else.)

19. kryskat

Yeah - I was going to try Walmart. When I was reading about syringes somewhere on here, it seemed that they were not bad. I have the BD syringes right now and I'm not a big fan. I don't have anything to compare them to though - but I have lots of problems with bubbles that I can't get rid of, even following fancy techniques - lol... and they seem sticky - hard to measure small increments. I thought it was just me, but sounds like other people have similar complaints. And I read in the archives that the BDs had a variance of up to .5 units between syringes in the same lot.

If I can't get them at Walmart, I'll try ordering them. It's just that I'm supposed to be out of town next week and I really want some clear cut measurements so I can give instructions to the pet sitters. Makes me nervous.

What kinds are other people using?

20. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I use the GNP brand from Hocks. I've had minimal problems with bubbles.

If you get stuck with regard to setting up the dosing for a petsitter (DPS), fill a used syringe with a colored liquid (e.g., milk) to the dose you are measuring. If it's not the exact dose, at least it will be consistent with what you are shooting and it will give your DPS something for the purpose of comparison. Just use a light enough colored liquid so you can still see the markings on the syringe.

21. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I use the BD Ultra-Fine II syringes 3/10cc for 30units or less and with 1/2 unit markings, 8mm(5/16in) needles, 31 guage. I've not had any issues at all with bubbles, maybe I am lucky.

I can't get them always at the same places so I look all over and when I find a place with stock, I clean them out. I'll bring home 6 boxes if that is all they have.

When I am using 4 to 8 a day, I can't afford to run out.

22. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm moving this question from your other condo, to keep the whole day's posts together (much less confusing that way):

Your numbers today point to a 0.25 unit reduction. If you were giving a fat 0.5 before, then I would reduce to a fat 0.25. Good luck figuring that out! The way I would probably measure it would be to measure 0.5, then squeeze out a couple of drops until the plunger is just below the 0.5 line. All syringes are a little different, so you can practice with water to figure out how much you want to squeeze out.

23. kryskat

OMG - looks to me like that is just a hair above the 0 line... Such tiny increments!

24. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hang on to a used syringe and practice with water, squeezing drops out.
    Practice makes perfect.

Good luck with the dosecrease.

25. kryskat

Re: 4/18 Kasha PMPS 205

I think I might have gone a little bit light on the insulin. Ha! It's so tiny anyway. I'm sick and it would be great to be able to sleep tonight without worrying about her for once - lol... If it's not enough, we'll work thru it. I'd rather that than chase her around with HC food tonight. She's so full from eating a bunch of snacks earlier. Then I forced dinner on her.

I caught her watching HSN earlier - completely absorbed in whatever product was being sold. Then I just caught her typing on my laptop - which she's never done. I think she was either trying to type her own post or order online. She's always been smarter than the average cat...

26. kryskat

Should I change Kasha's spreadsheet to reflect that she's been getting a fat .5 unit instead of the .75 unit I marked down before I realized?

27. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Since there's really no way now to know for sure, why not just put a note of your suspicions in the comments column to the far right? Say your ss says this but you think you may have been giving that amount.

28. kryskat

OK, I put a note on the spreadsheet, but I'm pretty sure of the dose she was getting now that I can see the 1/2 unit markings. Unless the syringes are very different, if I measure exactly the same way on the Relions as with the BDs, I can see by where the 1/2 unit marking is that it's a fat .5 unit.

Her numbers are high tonight, +3 is 265. Poor girl, such a rocky day and it's my fault cuz I'm the one measuring the insulin and feeding and all that. Sigh. None of us feel well today, I guess. Going to try to get some rest.

29. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Numbers are not bad at all given that you saw a 34 this morning. It's a bounce and so far, it's not a bad bounce. It certainly looks like you won't have to test the night away. Try to get a test in before you crash and leave food out just so you feel reassured.

I hope you feel better.

30. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT!!! GREAT NUMBERS--Good Job! Ni NI!! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.