A question about tooth problems & wet cat food.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Tasha, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

It is my understanding that the crunchy cat food helps clean a kitties teeth. Since I have exclusively gone to wet food, how will that impact keeping Tasha's teeth and gums healthy?
    Btw. Tasha is doing great OTJ . Thanks again for everyone's hep and guidance. :mrgreen:

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i actually think i've read that that is a myth. i know it's not true in my house as when i fed dry food they inhaled it so fast they didn't chew it, so there was no way it kept their teeth clean :)

i do brush some of my cats teeth. bought a little kit from petsmart and go at it a couple times a month.

i also buy chicken gizzards for them and hand out legs sometimes too. they gnaw on them in such a way that it is supposed to help with teeth cleaning.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Cindy is correct. Dry food does not help to clean teeth. In fact, it is worse for dental hygiene. Dr. Lisa's site on feline nutrition discusses this myth at some length.

4. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

Thank you both for your answers. You have been a great help. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.