4/8 Do Lou amps382 +3 390+6 343pmps342

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa and Do Lou (GA), Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

amps382
    another day of starting out pink and I think he is going to need a dosecrease the 4U is just not doing it for him tonight will be our 6th dose at 4U he just keeps on surfing pink no matter what dose we seem to raise him too I keep telling myself we will find his dose soon but man this process is so frustrating :sad: I think I just thought they when we switched him to lantus he would be regulated in no time since he had been so up/down on N Ok I will quit rambling now just frustrated this morning :coffee:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11288

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 4/8 Do Lou amps382

I know it's frustrating. Hope you find a right dose, soon. Hang in there.

3. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

(((Lisa)))

It is so frustrating. Paws crossed you find the right dose for Do Lou soon!

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Good morning, Lisa & Do Lou :D
    I know it has to be frusturating for you, Baby never really saw pinks, but she sure loved yellows!! Believe me when I say this... all the sudden there will be a break thru dose & it will happen quickly.. right before your very eyes (((I promise))) It is exciting to dosecrease to 4units, becuase that might be the break thru dose..if not.. we increase again & so on. It will happen for you & Do Lou, it really will!! :YMHUG:

5. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

You will find the right dose and it is frustrating. I know weve been doing this for 2.73 years and on insulin #3. After Spike had a dental I thought the miracle would happen (otj). After changing to Lantus I thought the miracle would happen. Now Im just happy we have a working dose (most of the time) and Spike is a very happy cat. Just keep up the good work and chop away at the dosecreases. You will get there and It will all work out.

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement I need them today I guess I am just so tired of the sea of pink never changing you know confused_cat but hoping Do Lou sees his dose soon

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

We all understand...so it's good to talk about it and get it over with. Frustration seems to be going around a lot lately!
    I wish I could say something that made sense to help you out of that feeling. But, there are no words. :sad:
    It happens quickly to some when the right dose is reached....I will keep Hope for Do Lou...
    Hope your day is good...hang in there Lisa!

8. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Good morning Lisa and Do Lou. I'm sorry I don't visit your condo much. I checked out your profile and your ss, and the first thing I want to say is that Do Lou is such a handsome boy!! I especially liked his picture from his first full moon party!

Second thing I want to say is that I totally understand the frustration you are feeling, as well as everyone else here does. I believe we have all been there and we are all giving you cyber hugs to help you through that frustration. You know, you will find that dose eventually. We did. Just look at Spot's ss and you will see. Took a little while after he started on Lev to get to those nice pretty blues and greens, but he did get there. For some of us, it can be a slow, painfully frustrating journey, this Feline Diabetes. Everytime I became frustrated, I had to remember to take a step back, breath, and remember first and foremost that Spot is more than the number I was seeing on that damn meter...HE was feeling good and HE couldn't care less if he was 80 or 300. He was getting the medicine he needed to make him feel better.

I also had to think about the closeness, the bond that Spot and I were solidifying. I adopted him when my brother, who was mentally challenged, passed away. Leo lived by himself and Spot was an only cat. Spot LOVED my brother and every night he would sit on the arm of his recliner. When I got him, Spot was a loner. He didn't socialize much with my civvies, but on the occasions when Civvie Ali didn't chase him away, he would sneak into bed while I was sleep and lay on my left side. Whenever I moved or if I woke up, he would immediately jump up and run away. Now Spot lays on the arm of MY chair and has even taken to laying half on my lap and half on the arm. He searches me out. Our bond is so much stronger because of this horrid FD. So, amoungst all this frustration you are feeling, please make sure that you also step back, breath and see the whole picture :D

Sending you some (((Lisa))) and some "find that good dose" vines your way!!

9. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

+3 390 :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH:

10. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Thank you so much for that for I need all this today since today is just IDK I think you know you have those frustrating sad days that you just feel like you are getting nowhere with this :sad: but I know we are better on lantus then on N and he has felt better since switching to lantus and his weight gains and losses have stabilized some. He still does not seem like the Do Lou before FD sometimes on a really good day which we have not had many I see little pieces of him and I keep hoping like you said we will get to that dose and he will feel better but yes its hard and I am taking a breath right now

11. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Re: 4/8 Do Lou amps382 +3 390+6 343

+ 6 343

12. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

lisa I understand your frustration .. we are coming up on a year since diagnosis .. we thought we would kick this within a week or two .. you know, food change, insulin, extra love .. we thought it would be so easy, but it isn't. At least we all have this support group that really, truly understand how frustrating it is. So when we say "we know" believe us, we know! In this house there have been lots of tears .. tears of sadness, tears of frustration ... tears of joy! You will get there .. but in the meantime, don't ever feel like you can't come here and ask for support.

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa. I certainly understand your frustration. I'm having a bit of that myself right now. But you will find your dose, because you are proceeding correctly with the protocol. Stu has been on insulin for more than 4 years (Pzi Vet until last Nov. and now Lantus). I never tested until this January. Who knows where he was with his numbers. But I do know that in the last 2 months he has been a remarkably improved cat and that if you stick with the protocol and are patient, Do Lou's numbers will start to come down. Those glimpses of your old Do Lou that you get from time to time will become more and more frequent. Hang in there!

Ella

14. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Thanks Ella :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

15. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Hang in there, Lisa. I, too, understand your frustration! When Logan went back on insulin in September, I was determined he'd be OTJ by December! Well, here we are 7 months, 2 surgeries, and 7 units later and we're still in the pinks! The hardest part is definitely not seeing them act themselves. My greatest joy is when Logan does something the old Logan would do. It makes me so happy I just want to burst into tears. The last 7 months have been the most stressful, emotional 7 months of my life. My mood is directly related to how Logan is doing. When he has a good day, I feel like we're going to conquer all of his issues! You will find the right dose - some kitties just need more insulin than others. Try to stay positive - I know this is one of the hardest things sometimes. The support of this board is the only thing that gets me through sometimes.

16. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Wow that is so me I have such a close bond with Do Lou that like my DH says my moods are also directly linked to him, and when we went to lantus and my DH saw the cost he was like well its worth it if we can make him better and see you meaning me smile again I have been so depressed since he was dx that even this spring which is usually my fav time of year just does nothing for me I am a big time hiker and wildflower person and this year all I want to do is sit and be with him.

17. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Do Lou will find his dose. WE all get frustrated and want it to happen NOW. We see others progressing while we take a step back. We hear all the awesome stories of remission w/ Lantus. It will be the miracle cure and he will be in remission before we know it. Nothing works out as fast as we want it to. You have only been on Lantus for a month, even the miracle drug takes time. All you can do is continue on and continue to love Do Lou.

There is one other thing you can do. Find a nice cozy spot, get Do Lou in your lap and a supply of good chocolate and tissues. Let yourself have a good cry! Get it out, Do Lou won't let you wallow for too long. Then, back to the grind, but keep the chocolate on hand! :YMHUG: Lisa :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon Do LOu cat_pet_icon

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi again, Lisa, After reading your most recent post I just wanted to say that you have to take care of your own needs, too. Hiking and field botany are important to you and you should try to keep up with these things that bring you joy. Take a morning or an afternoon and go outside and refresh yourself. Make a habit of doing this. When you get home Do Lou will be fine, happy to see you, and you will see things in a different light.

Best regards,
    Ella

Attached Files:

19. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I second Ella's moton, but take CHOCOLATE along too! :D

20. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Ok you two after reading both your posts I realize I am going to have to try to get myself motivated its been hard on me this FD my dr has also just started me on wellbutrin to see if it helps to get me out of this its amazing what being so close to a cat can do to you I did hike last weekend short one with DH and had a good time as we are going again this weekend to mammoth cave the shooting stars are about to bloom so thanks once again for the support makes sure a HUGE difference to me :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

21. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((((((Lisa)))))) I have a history of anxiety and depression and when my Webber was diagnosed and we were going through the treatment with Lantus I was a wreck! I had to increase my medication somewhat to deal with the anxiety and stress. I never wanted to leave the house for fear he would crash or something.......it is very hard when you are so bonded with your cats. I love my babies more than life sometimes and DH was really worried about how I was going to handle the stress of treatment. It was hard, believe me we do understand!!! I became addicted to this message board and I still sweae that it and all of those on here were my saving graces. DH did not really understand the emotional roller coaster and how our moods are directly related to their numbers or how they act. Hang in there, you have us all to lean on and cry to. :YMHUG:

This may be copyrighted but I don't care---here is a hug from Lantus Land
    [​IMG]

22. Kelly & Logan

It is very hard for them to see us suffering and not be able to help. It's definitely taken a toll on my relationship with my fiance but the more things we've gone through with Logan the more he's coming to understand how close I am to Logan. He's bonded with Logan a lot more these last few months. Logan's health has been my "obsession" (his word!) these last few months. I try to get out and do other things and talk about other things, but it is hard. It's a work in progress. Fall is my favorite time of the year and I have no recollection of this last one! I'm hoping to not miss Spring, too, as it's my second favorite season. They're our babies! My DH2B was definitely shell shocked with the expenses! But, he knows how much I love Logan...and he's come to love Logan a great deal, as well.

Hang in there!

23. Kelly & Logan

OMG, that is so true! It's not that I'm not happy and excited to hear about other kitties doing so well, but it does make me angry and more frustrated that things AREN'T working so well for my baby. Life is just so unfair! We just have to try and stay positive and not get too discouraged. I do think our kitties pick up on our anxiety and stress levels. This definitely has an effect on them. Lately, I've been dreading going home b/c I knew Logan wasn't going to eat well, he wasn't going to have a good BG...so, I started crying on the way home to get it out of my system! I have the dogs with me (they go to daycare) and it does freak them out a bit but I think they're getting used to having a whacko mom! So, by the time I get home, I'm calm and in a better frame of mind and I think that helps Logan stay calm.

I know - prob not safe to drive and cry but I have to multi-task! :lol:

24. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Well its affected my relationship as well since all I do is spend time with Do Lou if I am not working/cleaning house chores then it seems i am with Do Lou I do other things but not like I did before FD, he seems to be my obsession right now so I can so relate to every thing you have said so very true

25. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

pmps 342 still surfing the pink I think its time to increase him its the 6th cycle tonight talked to my vet about him once again today as well. Thank everyone for all the support today :YMHUG:

26. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

This whole thread has me teary. Such a beautiful support system here.
    FD is hard and all you guys are the best.
    I used to hope for Noisy to just to the upper 200s - lower 300s. I would lay on the floor with him and cry thinking we will never get this right. After 3 months something happened and I let go -- it got easier.
    (((((((Lisa and Do Lou))))))))))

27. D and Noisy

Does your schedule afford time flexibility? The reason I ask is to see if you want some assistance in working with giving earlier shots, I could help you with that. It can be tricky but it can be a fantastic tool.

You can see on Noisy's SS we did a lot of early shooting. Shot time moves though so if you have to stick to a schedule it makes it a little tough. I work in my house so that wasn't an issue. Generally, if I saw a number headed for the 300s I'd shoot, sometimes at +10, sometimes +11, I did get into a little trouble one night when I shot two +10s in a row. :roll: I didn't do that again and developed a better feel for the early shot tool.

Please, anyone reading this do not think you can shoot early any time -- you really need to know thy cat and how to do it. Do Lou has a wall that needs to be broken down and that is why I'm suggesting it as a possible option.

28. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Yes D I am flexible to a certain extent anyway

29. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Of course with what you are saying how would I know what to do since his numbers are always high?? as to when to shoot early I mean??

30. D and Noisy

Maybe want to try it in the morning? Or you can try the dosecrease and see how that works first -- you can't do both simultaneously.

Maybe give Noisy's SS a look. Back then we held doses longer, especially me. Now doses are moved up faster and there likely would not be a case of shooting early as many times as I did. I had it in my head if Noise hit 300 I would lose him for days, so I kept pounding. We eventually had a breakthrough, then 12/12 duration and remission.

Just seeing your post before I hit submit.
    We would take it a cycle at a time. I would stick with you through it. Can't really map it prior. We would ease into it until an effect happened.

31. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Now I'm all weepy. I am just so amazed at the love on this board. I thought I was the only one who obsesses over numbers, and why isn't Checkers coming down the way I thought he would.
    Like Devon, with her Mocha, I thought a week or so on Lantus and Checks would be regulated and off insulin in a month. It's heartbreaking when it doesn't work out the way we want.
    Lisa, although Checks sees blue and occasionally green, I still feel your pain and frustration, that you can't bring the numbers down the way you want.
    One day, you will be dancing the happy dance and shouting from the rooftops, when you see a blue....and we will all dance and shout with you! :smile:

32. D and Noisy

I don't think/write to well in the evening. I'm coming back in the morning to try and explain it better. Basically, the idea is to stop the number from getting out of reach of what Lantus likes -- Lantus likes lower numbers to work with. You'll see on my SS where we had to "right" ourselves every now and them by delaying shot, that was OK cause we weren't in the dreaded high numbers, expect rebound ones and I don't count those as dreaded.

33. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10696

Lisa, not usually a regular poster on the Lantus forum, but saw your post on the Health forum where you use Tresaderm for your kitty. As you know, and as Jess and Larry also said in that thread, it does have steroids in it and it has been known to raise bg levels in diabetics. It was talked about on the old board but I couldn't find the threads unfortunately. I also used the Panalog that you mentioned in that thread on Tigger a few years ago and his numbers went through the roof too. Maybe others here have some other opinions on it.

Anyway, it wasn't clear, but it sounded like you are still giving Do Lou the tresaderm? If so, can you stop it and try something else and see if it makes a difference?

I know the frustration...I hope you can find some answers soon to get those numbers down.

"It is possible that the steroid component of Tresaderm®, dexamethasone, can be absorbed into the circulation. Chronic use can suppress the function of the adrenal glands."

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/th ... page1.aspx

34. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((Lisa))
    This dance is truly hard at so many levels. I worry about Gabby all of the time. If I didn't have friends who are "cat people" and as devoted to their kitties as I am to Gabby and Gizmo, I probably would start thinking of myself as a crazy cat lady. My life has oriented around shot times and wanting to be home to check on Gabby. That's the part that I choose to do for my comfort. The harder part is watching the kitties that are here for a month or two drop by and go into remissions. Like others have said, I too first thought I was doing something wrong. The more I observed Gabby and read other condos, the more I realized I don't have control over this. Gabby is leading the dance. All I can do is follow along. It is her pancreas that's calling the shots, so to speak. (The pun was unintentional!) I figured that if I was going to be spending time here, I would put my energy into learning as much as I can and paying forward the care, information, and support that others here have provided to me. That decision has helped me through the tougher days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.