4/1 Checkers AMPS/247..PMPS/179

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barb & Checkers (GA), Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 4/1 Checkers AMPS/247

Sounds damm good to me--Sleeping all morning!! Have a great day!

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 4/1 Checkers AMPS/247

mmm sleeping ... nice .... not a bad start to the day, I hope you see blues and greens later!

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Re: 4/1 Checkers AMPS/247..3.5/142

Well, dang...poke him and wake the lazy boy up! :mrgreen:

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/1 Checkers AMPS/247..3.5/142

hi barb. checkers appears to drop fast and early. just curious... what's his feeding schedule like? i wonder if we can soften those drops with food early in the cycle which *could* help flatten the numbers out.

6. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Re: 4/1 Checkers AMPS/247..3.5/142 +6/117

Jill, you just brought a lump to my throat. That you would care enough about my cat, to ask about his schedule, when you're worrying about your Alex, is mind boggling to me.
    I don't know how to manipulate numbers with food.
    I leave wet food out overnite. One can FF divided between 3 plates, for the 3 cats.
    I have no idea who eats what, or when. Checks could be eating just before I test him, for all I know.
    His number doesn't seem to matter, if I don't leave food out.

I test, feed, shoot, at 7:30. Then he naps all morning. Sometimes I prick him while he's sleeping to get the +3, and that is his onset.
    He has never been a good eater, so I can't really have a schedule.

He is unpredictable about how much he drops. Is everyone?

I'm afraid to go away anymore....I don't know how he will drop , between +3 and +5
    Can you suggest something to help even out his drops?
    Thank you.

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/1 Checkers AMPS/247..3.5/142 +6/117

Barb,

I think what Jill is suggesting is what she has done with Alex in the past - basically splitting his meal and feeding a little bit at PS, +1, +2 instead of all at once. That would make him spread out his eating a little bit, which might help soften that big early drop that he likes to have at +1 and +2 (because if he eats a full meal at PS and then no more, that food is pretty much gone when the insulin is kicking in and sending him to the 50's).

If that works to flatten Checkers out a little bit, then we can increase his dose a tad to help bring down those yellows. Right now we can't increase his dose because he's hitting 50's on this one.

8. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Thank you, Libby, that makes sense, when it's explained. I always give a can of FF and let him eat his fill. Oops!

I was going to ask if I should increase the dose a bit, but I'm scared he'll go too low. He's not consistent. So it's because of how I feed him? If I feed less, than maybe he will eat when I want him to. Hmmmm!

I was fascinated by the conversation between Devon and Traci. It was like reading my life story. I also plan all activities around Check's shot schedule. My daughter-in-law wasn't too happy about my turning down Easter dinner, because they are eating too late this year. They live far, and I couldn't be home for testing and shooting. They're gonna just have to get used to it!

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

yup. what libby said. :D
    is it possible to divide up chcker's meal into 3 or 4 small portions and feed at shot time, +1, +2, and +3? average amount would be around 5 - 6 ounces per meal. checkers may or may not eat more than that. i think if we divide up his meals we can slow the action of the insulin down. it would be nice to see him flatten out some. he's bouncing off of those early cycle nose dives.

have to work for a couple hours. i'll check back here later. let me know if you think this is do-able. :D

10. Barb & Checkers (GA)

It's absolutely do-able. I just didn't know enough to do it. Like I haven't read a gazillion articles about feline diabetes.
    Sometimes there is so much in my head, that it is all smushed together into mush, and I can't seperate facts.

Tomorrow, he gets less for breffis. I would have to wake him to feed him after that. He sleeps all morning.
    Well, I'm gonna try the new schedule tomorrow.
    Thanks Jill.

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I've done a ton of reading too. I don't know that I've read anything about managing numbers with food despite the fact that it makes perfect sense.

FWIW, Gabby is prone to big drops -- she's a drama queen. She gets breakfast and every time I test, she gets a snack -- 1/8 can of FF. She gets food typically at +2, 4 and 6.

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

i don't think i've ever read anything about food manipulation in relation to managing feline diabetes either. since not every kitty reacts the same, we've had to just figure things out as we go. feel free to experiment with timing of food until you find a workable solution for checkers because what works for one kitty may not work for another. over the past few years i've experimented quite bit. i prefer long flat curves. it makes it easier to fine tune dosing. food manipulation helps with kitties who are prone to early drops and/or fast bounces.

what you want to do is prevent checkers from doing that early fast drop by loading up the first part of the cycle with mini-meals. we don't want to starve him by feeding him just before the insulin kicks in so mini-meals should keep him satisfied and will keep something in his tummy. hopefully, food will take the edge off the power of the insulin when it first kicks in. don't be discouraged if his numbers run higher. it's ok (probably even expected). if we can get him to flatten out... then we can add a bit more insulin into the mix in order to bring the whole range down. this is what i'm doing with alex right now. her AM cycle today ranged between 114 and 160. the range is higher than what i'd like, but i'd like her to stabilize in the 100s before i bring the numbers down a notch. my reasoning is slightly different than yours. i'm dealing with a cat who isn't always eating when i want her to. you're dealing with a cat who takes an early drop and then bounces. different reasons, but we have the same goal. :D

happy to hear this experiment is do-able... GOOD LUCK!

13. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Re: 4/1 Checkers AMPS/247..PMPS/179 +3/161

JIll, when I said it was doable, I simply meant I am home to do it. I didn't mean to imply that Checkers would go along with it.
    I can try to get him to eat mini meals, but he really isn't one of those cats that gobbles up food. Getting him to eat when I want him to will be tricky.

Glad to hear, I didn't read about manipulating numbers with food, and just didn't learn it. Well actually, feeding to not cause big drops really is manipulating.

Guess I will experiment and learn.

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

all you can do is try. see how it goes. checkers may cooperate! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.