3/30 Frank AMPS 423- PMPS 530 Tough to ignore this BG!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Delma and Frank, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

Well, we survived a night out last night. I was nervous leaving the shot to the sitter. I know they say don't pre-fill but I just had to.( 1 1/2 hr in advance of shot ) I can't leave her to figure out what is my 2.25U....and those bubbles. Would she keep emptying and refilling until there were no bubbles..? I had to pre-fill.

2. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 3/30 Frank AMPS 423- Survived my night out yesterday

I use a skinny piece of of duct tape & put it on the syringe to where the DPS should draw the insulin to.. This has worked for a while, and is good for us--I check where the tape is about 6 times before I make the final placement! Moonie is usually fine when she comes..Put the edge right to where you want the insulin..
    Hope Frank gives you some nicer numbers today!

3. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

laughing at checking the tape 6 times!!...I can relate to this! :lol:

I know you mean my sitter when you say DPS..but what exactly do those letters stand for??

4. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

DPS means dear pet sitter. Same as in DH - for dear husband, DMIL - dear mother in law (is that an oxymoron??)... anyways I'm sure you get the picture. I hope you enjoyed your night out. Don't sweat the prefilled syringe - we gotta do what we can and if it is only once in awhile - it will work. I too have done the duct tape thing and the colored water mark etc. I also leave the magnifying glass out right next to the syringe and tell the DPS to use it!

5. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

Seeing a number this high is really hard. it makes me want to increase to 2.5. Look at Frank's SS..he did well on 2.5. brought him to the 40's . But don't you think upping to 2.5 may stop these high numbers????

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Today's numbers make me question whether DPS maybe gave a fur shot. On the chance that this may have happened, I'm thinking maybe wait until tomorrow morning and if numbers are still high, increase then. See what others think, as well.

7. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

I wouldn't have seen that Sienne. That could be true. Despite her being vet tech gone into her own pet sitting business,I need to find another sitter. Last summer during my vacation, it was 4-5 days until I found out she was leaving unused wet food out on the counter until the next feeding. I would have never even thought a person would do that...never thought to tell her to put leftovers in the fridge. My heart sank when I found that out. I know furshots happen but this is strike 2 for her...she needs to be sure he gets his shot. She makes sure I pay her..... :YMSIGH:
    I'm not happy......

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

don't be too worried over one number. Even if it was a furshot, we've all given them, life goes on. I agree with Sienne, I would wait til tomorrow and if he's still high, then increase the dose.

9. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I leave my cats food out on the counter, with the can cover thingies.. if I put them in the fridge.. no amount of Parmesan cheese or microwaving (even with adding water) will get any of them to touch it again.. Though with 3 cats..and 3oz cans.. they probably don't stay there very long ;).

10. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

After I found out about the sitter leaving cans of unused food set out, I spoke to lots of people about this. Two people left food out, others didn't. I worry about bacteria growth. This was the common theme amongst those who do not let unused food set out . This a question for the catfood's manufacturer, I think. Meanwhile, Frank eats anything, so I'll just continue microwaving the cold food.

11. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

To my way of thinking, cat food is not a non perishable item. The unopened can is a protection that is gone once you open the can. I would not leave my own food from a can at room temp so I do not leave the cats' food at room temp.
    If you think of the ingredients, meats and fish are perishable, so if you would not leave a chicken for yourself out on the counter all day or for hours, then you would not want to leave some opened can of chicken cat food out.
    I know that it would not be for a long time, but still, the possibility of spoilage and how it may affect a cat's insides should be considered. Ya never know for sure, so I error on the side of safety.
    Now that Oliver has joined us, I don't think I will ever have to worry about storing excess food; he cleans his dish then heads over to Shadoe's, so entire cans are put out here now, but if I do open a big 12oz can, it gets put into the frig after putting some out for Oliver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.