3/25 Max amps 103

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mindy & Max, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10071

Well, I didn't get the answers I needed yesterday. I really need them now as we're quickly moving into territory where I have no idea what to do...and obviously I don't want to make my cat go hypo, but I also don't want to screw up his general downward trend on his numbers by skipping a shot.

PMPS yesterday was 126 so I gave the full 2U dose. At +3.5 he was at 81. At +7.5 he was at 58, so I gave him some low-carb food to keep him from dropping too low (based on last weekend's curve, he's hitting nadir around +8-10). As much as I'd like to, I cannot stay up all night to test him and still make it to work the next day...and I can't take any time off. I'm also dealing with some weird insomnia issues (stress related, most likely), and waking every 3 hours to test at night won't work either as I have an unbelievably difficult time getting back to sleep. DH is out of town this week, and waking up with the kids is hard enough.

AMPS today was 103. I gave a 1.5U dose, and I'm hoping that will keep him green/blue without making him go hypo as I can't get home today until +10.5. Did I do the right thing? Because I can't be home during the day, and I can't be up all night, I'm afraid I can't hold a dose long enough for him to "earn" a decrease because I can't see when he's dropping low enough (or too low, for that matter). What do I do?

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/25 Max amps 103--ADVICE NEEDED!

Mindy...I would have done the same thing as your did....i am not so good at dosing questions so i will leave tht to someone more experienced. I do understand you dilemma though. As the kitties go down the dosing ladder, there are some sleepless nights and this is difficult to deal with...
    It's tough when you cannot be there during the day to document the lows that Max reaches too.... :YMHUG:
    So, you do the best you can under the circumstances....

For now, i would leave out plenty of food for max for when you are gone...hopefully someone will be along to help you with the dosing. Maybe there will be a bounce form the greens last night too. hang in there! You are doing great!!!

3. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

All will be well. Let me get familiar with Max and I'll come back.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

SOrry you didn't get a response yesterday, I just looked at your ss and yes you did the right thing lowering the dose. You could lower it by .25 rather than .50, but let's see what this dose does and we can always adjust if needed.

Take a look at Maui's ss, you will see how I shot and dosed her at lower numbers. yes it was scary every time, and I was shooting smaller amounts, but I still shot her at low numbers.

Get in whatever tests you can today and tonight and let's see what this does and like Pat suggested, keep plenty of food out, because it's very possible he may drop down again. So, let him eat and keep himself steady.

This is actually good news you know! Scary but good.

5. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Looked as SS -- you look fine. His SS is starting to look lovely! Can't wait to see what numbers you get when you get home.

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing great, Mindy. I get scared with these drops, too, but your Max is more advanced in the "dance" than Stu. Good luck today with the lower dose and I hope it will keep Max in numbers that are comfortable for you.
    Ella & Stu

7. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Thanks everyone. And Hillary, I seriously stood at the sink with a mental teeter-totter about whether to shoot 1.5 or 1.75. I went with the lower dose to hopefully not be worried about him all afternoon. :)

I did think about putting out extra food, but my piggies would eat it long before Max reached his low. There was still food in the bowl when I left, so we'll see what happens, I guess...and I'm at least thankful I made arrangements to get out of work an hour early every day this week because of DH being gone. I might go see if I can get out another .5 hour early, but I'm not holding my breath. Either way I think I'll still be racing home today!

:lol: And as I left this morning, in a rush because my daughter was being a pain, I looked sternly at Truman, told him to make sure Max ate what was left in the bowl, and to keep an eye on him. As if Truman could really do much for him if something does go wrong, but it made me feel better to say it. Guinness was also told to keep an eye on his brothers. :lol:

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think you did great. You've caught on to how to deal with a low pre-shot number.

One thought I'll put out for your consideration is whether it is feasible to shift your shot time a little earlier. This would give you a chance to get a +1 or +2 before you head out the door and you wouldn't be up too late monitoring, either. It may not be possible given what time you get home but I thought I'd raise the question.

9. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Looking good, Mindy! Max is a good Liver School student.

10. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Sienne, oh how I wish I could bump up the am shot time, but that would put pm shot too early for me to make most days on my work schedule. DH is comfortable giving shots (tho he's not done it in front of me, so who knows if he's doing it right?), but hasn't learned to test him yet...and there are many days he gets home with the kids about the same time I do.

Actually, on weeks that aren't this one, when DH takes the kids to daycare, I could probably manage a +1 test before I leave (now that he doesn't fuss too much when I do them), but I have to leave 20min early when I take the kids. All around, this week just sucks. Everything is harder when DH isn't home, and the kids are both kind of off-kilter without him too, which makes THEM harder.

Thanks, Lydia! I'm almost thinking he's a little too good of a student tho!

11. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Mindy
    You are doing such an incredible job and you handled this morning very well.
    You always need to feel comfortable in what dose you shoot and IMHO it is better to err
    on the side of less insulin than more.
    Learning how to handle the numbers with food is also great.
    I know that not having the internet at home makes getting help when you need to shoot
    difficult for you but I am so happy for the 2 of you.

My Max sends a big atta boy to your Max.

Keep up the great job - and going doing down the dosing ladder is tiring but worth it in the end. And don't worry so much about npot getting so many daytime tests. Try to see what
    you can get done at nights (which I know is tough too :D )

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

exactly what Randi says - better to shoot less and be comfortable then too much and worry.

13. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Thanks everyone! I'm leaving work in 5 minutes to go home and see how he's doing before I go get the kids. Hopefully all is well, and I will report back in the morning. :smile:

14. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Mindy you are doing great! You have to be comfortable with what you are doing! I have learned recently though to have BOS with Scrabble off of the advice from people here, there are times when I didn't want to give a shot because I knew I wouldn't be here but now I am glad I did with Scrabble's great progress. Sounds like your life is crazy busy! Hope your day is great!!!!

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

When you have a chance, can you remove the "Advice Needed" from your subject line? We try to edit out the request for help once you've received the help that you needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.