huge difference in readings from am to pm

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodi & Jasmine, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Hi all. Jasmine and I are still new to lantus. Jasmine has been on lantus for exactly 14 days. Here are her readings for the last 5 days ....

Saturday ... 5 am - 388.8 and 1 unit lantus 5 pm - 255.6 and 1 unit lantus
    Sunday ... 5 am - 298.8 and 1 unit lantus 5 pm - 167.4 and 1 unit lantus
    Monday ... 5 am - 331.2 and 1 unit lantus 5 pm - 81 I DIDN'T GIVE HER INSULIN THIS TIME
    Tuesday ... 5 am - 279 and 1 unit lantus 5 pm - 109.8 I DIDN'T GIVE HER INSULIN THIS TIME
    Today (Wednesday) ... 5 am - 295.2 and 1 unit lantus 5 pm - 99 I DIDN'T GIVE HER INSULIN THIS TIME

Should she still be getting insulin when her pre insulin shot is 81 - 109.8????? Her pre insulin shots in the am are very high. After 14 days shouldn't she soon start to regulate. Is it time to change her dose from 1 unit twice daily? Any advice?

2. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

Regulation.......in 14 days? There is no set time frame for regulation, it took Punk forever to become what I'd consider mostly regulated, I'd say about a year. Don't panic, I'm not saying it will take Jasmine anywhere near a year, You're getting some good green numbers and you'll work your way through, but 14 days is asking a lot. :mrgreen: You're still brand-spanking new and Jasmine's pancreas will need a little more time, as will her liver.
    Do you have a spreadsheet? Are you able to get any spot checks during the day or mid-cycle?

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jodi:

I wouldn't feel comfortable making any suggestions at this point about dose Jasmine's progress. Lantus dosing is based on the lowest point of the cycle -- which is usually somewhere in the middle of the cycle. The information you provided is pre-shot data. This is important information -- it lets you know whether it's safe to shoot -- but it doesn't give a full picture. What I would encourage you to think about is whether you would consider essentially starting over with dose at a smaller amount so you can consistently shoot twice a day and begin to accumulate mid-cycle test data.

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Jodi---Man Plans and Cats Laugh!! There are some miracles here- But it takes hard work-I thought my cat would be in remission in a few months--Moonie had other plans.Moonie is close to regulation right now, after all this time..(2 years)
    Every Cat Is Different(ECID)--These are pretty good numbers here & quite normal for a newbie..
    Just read & re-read the stickys, be consistant & patient, and this could go very well..
    But plans, they are made only to be broken--Do your best & Jasmine will do hers--
    After all, you have all of us to help you...
    Welcome TO Lantus Land...

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would reduce the next AM dose to say 0.75 units. It appears that the one unit AM may be too much and results in the PM reading being too low. I would also take some reading between shots to see what is happening.

Sometimes it takes a long time to get a cat regulated. I have been working on Bailey for over six years and still do not like the BGs I am getting. This morning he was 409 and this evening 97. This is better PMPS than Monday when he was 45.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.