New here. Cat just diagnosed. Using ProZinc insulin.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by meme, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meme

meme New Member

Hi. My almost 11 year old female tuxedo cat Demi was diagnosed last week and has been on insulin shots twice a day for the past week. We went in today for 2 blood tests. One in the am before her morning shot. The vet was happy, it had gone down over 100 points to 246. So, with a big smile on my face I took her home and gave her her shot and fed her. However, this evening, when I took her in for the second blood test, it had shot up 300 points to 546! What???? He told me it could be stress related, but that he wants me to increase her dosage to 3 units a time. And to make sure I have honey or corn syrup on hand.

I'm committed to taking care of my cat, but am finding it stressful. I have to work around my toddler's schedule, as she will make it impossible to use the needles. I'm considering doing at home testing as well, since I saw today that going to the vet this often is going to be very expensive.

How long from when your cats were first diagnosed until they became, what's the word, regulated?

ETA:

I was reading below and saw that you recommend not feeding dry d/m foods. My vet prescribed wet d/m food. Is that any better? Along with that, he suggested I feed her some EVO Ancestral dry food. It's also known as "EVO Atkins diet".

Also, someone mentioned doing the home testing before giving insulin, just like people do. Makes complete sense to me. So, what numbers am I looking for? And then how do I know how much insulin to give?

2. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Re: New here. Cat just diagnosed with diabetes last week.

Hi Meme! You've come to the right place for help. Others will be along soon to ask for more specifics and to steer you in the right direction.

I just wanted to say that I too have a diabetic cat and a toddler. It can be challenging, but it can be done. Hang in there.

Donna

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there

welcome to the FDMB!

let's start with - what insulin are u using? Please add the name of insulin u are using to ur subject line in ur FIRST post, just jit EDIT and adjust the title line.

and are u home testing now?

lastly, what are u feeding?

if u can answer these questions - it will help others help u.
    In the meantime, also, read up - check our Health Links
    viewforum.php?f=14

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME, this forum is a great place to gain knowledge and really learn how to manage feline diabetes. By doing just a few things each day (that really won't take up much of your time at all), you won't need to worry about losing your precious cat, not where feline diabetes is concerned.

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

5. meme

meme New Member

6. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Meme,
    Welcome

Your vet sounds far above the pack if he told you not to feed dry food-- You're lucky! ;-)

Just to answer your question about the canned DM. Here are the "as fed" values for the newer silver top formula:
    35% of calories from protein
    60% of calories from fat
    5% of calories from carbohydrate
    262 mg phosphorus/100 calories

As you should notice, the 5% carbs in canned DM is considered low. Most will advise you to find foods below 10% carbs.
    EVO also is low in carbs. Both of these cost about $1.30/ 5.5 ounce can where I live. There are other lower cost options which are acceptable such as Fancy Feast pate flavors, avoiding anything with gravy, rice, potatoes, corn, etc

I have found Prozinc pretty smooth and easy to use. You should check out http://www.Prozinc.us for good FAQ's and videos to help you get started.

Welcome

7. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Meme,
    Just checking in. I hope you have made some progress on home testing. It is not hard at all once you get past a certain learning curve, working out what works for your cat. Possible meters you might want to consider would be:

- the Walmart brand Relion MICRO which uses a tiny bit of blood and the strips are very reasonable.

-Another even less expensive option, which I am now using is the Maxima which is available online through Hocks.com (see the green box link at the top of this page). It uses .5 microliters (and I think the Relion uses either .3 or .5) . I just bought meter and 100 strips for less than $40. Replacement strips are $16.50 / 50 strips.

-The One Touch ultra, as a comparison uses 1 microliter, however is also favored by some and reportedly accurate. Strips are pricey.

-Some folks warn against certain drug store chain meters with True... in the name, due to accuracy I believe.

You can do it !! :D

8. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Looks like you are getting some good inputs from the others. Feel free to join us over in the PZI Insulin Support Group anytime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.