How to find a vet who understands diabetes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tobygo2, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a vet in the Eugene, OR area (or within 2 hours) who understands diabetes. I'm just very frustrated with my current vet as every week when Nemo's numbers are in the 400s she just keeps increasing his PZI. The final straw was today when she called and told me to go up to 4 units twice a day :eek: . I've never had a problem regulating Nemo until he went on PZI and I'm worried sick. Are there any links anywhere that recommend vets who understand diabetes??

Thanks in advance from a very worried mother!!!
    Terri and Nemo

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey there, I was trying to access your spreadsheet but perhaps you have not granted public read access?

Also, perhaps you can put together a little profile instructions in the Tech Support forum for this.

I really don't have too much info for you to find a vet. For myself I just had to learn as much as I could and now I really don't need a vet for the DM. I've taken H to see the supposed "best" [a well known endocrinologist among others] and I was not 100% happy.

So my recommendation is to read and learn as much as you can and take charge of his DM treatment yourself.

If you would like us to take a look at your dosing and offer any input please make your spread sheet [and perhaps put together your profile page] viewable to all and then feel free to also post in the PZI Insulin Support Group.

3. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

Argh, I thought it was public! How can I alter it to make the spreadsheet viewable to all?

4. Gator & H (GA)

Did you follow the instruction in the Tech Support forum? They describe how to do it. I think it is something to do with "sharing"

I was logged into my gmail account and it was giving me an error myuser@gmail.com doesn't have access to this file. Once you think you have it right you may want to make sure you are loged out of google to test to make sure everyone can read it.

Which PZI insulin are you using? You may want to add the specific type to your sig.

When you post over in PZI you may want to make the description something like "Newbie need dosing help with 'insulin x'" or something to grab attention.

EDIT: I can read your SS now!! Yea!

5. Gator & H (GA)

So it looks to me that you are giving insulin once per day? Just to start with, most give PZI twice per day. If you did decide to go twice per day then you would probably want to back down to 1u twice per day for at least three days.

You will find good reading in the sticky in the PZI group located here:
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1979
    [among others, read about the start low go slow]

Which PZI insulin are you using?

You only have number for the past week right? It's going to probably take more than a week to get your kitty regulated. So be patient.

Are you testing for ketones? While these numbers are running so high I would recommend testing for ketones.

The M/D is a high carb food and is not appropriate for kitties with DM.

Those are my immediate thoughts. I'm sure I'll have more and I hope others have more input too. Please also post in PZI.

6. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

I have a recommendation for you from a long time member of this board.

"Please let this person know that my vet, Ann Samsell is great.  It's Cat Care Ltd. at 1400 Willamette St.  541-302-5824 is the phone. "

7. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

Thanks Deanie and Boo!!! I have an appointment tomorrow :D

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.