what numbers means a cat is in recession?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cyndi and fuzzy, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

As if I dont have enough topics! for two weeks I have been giving fuzzy one half unit lantus twice a day, his bs is good, running between ll6 and 130. The past few days he is testing q 12 hour segments, at 106-110 and between 100-and 114. should i still be giving the onehalf dose if his number is say 106 like it was tonite? I did not give it, what to do????

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Cyndi,

What kind of insulin is Fuzzy on, please?
    And how much is half of his "normal" dose?

~M

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cyndi, I don't know enough about Lantus to help, but have cross-posted on the Lantus forum for you. Are you still around this evening and not sure about giving insulin tonite?

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi Cyndi.

They sound like good numbers on Lantus.

Do you have any numbers you could actually type out for us?
    Do you ever test in between shots? Such as about 6 hours after a shot? This is the lowest number in kitty's Blood sugar (we use the term blood glucose here)levels you should see. This is the number that would guide you on whether to reduce kittys dose.

If you could share some numbers we can help advise yo whether you need to reduce kittys dose yet. He does sound like he has a an excellent chance of remission, but as I say knowing what his lowest number in his cycle is the best guide.

Could you also share a little more info on your kitty?
    How long has he been diagnosed?
    What food do you give him and how much?
    What is his weight and behaviour like?

Great that you've found us.Please ask as many questions as you like.
    I've got to go to work now but lots of folk around to help advise. Good luck :D

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

NOT a 911 problem

This topic should not have *911* on it - please edit to remove. Thanks!

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I thought that at first too (not a 911 issue), however, if she's giving a normal dose at nondiabetic numbers, maybe it is!

7. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

Re: NOT a 911 problem

Last pm when I didnt know whether to inject his nite dose, it was an emergency to me! sorry

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Cindy, and for anyone else who would like to learn more about lantus, please come to the lantus forum.

Read the starred information, it explains everything and look at some of the people's daily posts.

Also, take a look at my ss and you will see that with the proper data and guidance, that YES we shoot the numbers Cindy listed.

In order to truly get to remission stage, you must (with proper data) shoot these numbers, until they stay under 100 for 14 days. That is what we call OTJ trial and after a 14 day period with under 100 BG's and no insulin, then the cat can be considered officially OTJ.

So, please remove the 911 from this post as, this is not an emergency and PLEASE come to the lantus forum and look around.

Rather than use the 911 icon, if you want to get attention use the star or the fire or the ! icon that will get the attention you need, without scaring people into thinking there is a true emergency - IE DKA, hypo event, etc.

Thanks

9. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Cyndi,

just click edit on your original post to remove the 911 icon.

Do you have any numbers?
    In the past people haven't started posting on Lantus until they are home testing and have an ss set up.
    Even though you don't have an ss (post in tech forum for help) you can type your numbers out in a thread in Lantus isg.

Would do like this:

AMPS
    +1
    +2
    etc
    +6
    etc

PMPS

Then people can help advise on what dose you should be giving. As Hilary said you work down to micro doses to get kitty OTJ (so Pancreas is toally ready to handle those bg numbers)

10. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

I am sorry i abused the 911 icon and upset some of you. This will be my last post. some asked what I am feeding fuz. He is now switched over to wellness canned food with added water as he still has dental problems. He eats twice a day and i do still leave a tiny bit of dm at nite for him, he is 22 lb cat and is fighting dental disease, kidney problems and of course diabetes. His numbers have been staying quite low, so last pm when he was 106 I panicked and thout if i give him his normal half of one unit of lantus will i throw him into hypoglycema. That is why I used the icon, also it was quite late and needed input, but got none so did not shoot and went to bed. I have been doing curves, testing and careing for his diabetes with no vets help for two years and we had done fine up to the current medical problems.So I know the curves, know how to home test,I do test in between the 12 hour span. His #s have been: 132-106-110-110-124-114-116-84-96- these are the past few days of tests...... I do have other posts about his dental,kidney problem. I have posted these for kate and lucky to answer her questions. thankyou to all who responded to all my posts, now i need to delete all of them.fuzzy and i will be just fine. :!:

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Cindy,

Nobody is upset with and there is no need to feel hurt and now leave.

If you are upset that I asked you to remove the 911, I did so, because it really is reserved for actual emergencies, of which happen more often than not. As a new poster, the entire process is overwhelming and understanding what and how to post can be frustrating. This is why we do try to point things out, so you can understand.

Please come to the lantus forum - and you are more than welcome to post there with little and even no data. The people on that forum, truly understand lantus and can provide you with guidance to help you keep Fuzzy's BG's down and hopefully get him OTJ.

So, please look at what I (and others) said, as a learning tool, not a criticism AND CERTAINLY NOT TELLING YOU that you cannot post.

If you choose not to post, I am sorry for that. I wish you all the best with your kitty, but do know, nobody is yelling or telling you not to post.

Also, please look at the annoucement above that discusses the 911 button. That may help explain what we are saying and may make more sense as to why it needs to be used discretely.

12. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Please don't leave Cyndi!!!

Just reading what you said I think we can help you here but equally I wouldn't be surprised if you can teach us stuff too-2 years on your own?!!!-WOW :mrgreen:

Now hopefully before you disappear I'm gonna relook at those numbers and then will edit this post :D

13. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

OkI fibbed, I don't know howto quote on an edit!!so new post.(and to edit-I still didn't get it right-humph)

He is now switched over to wellness canned food with added water as he still has dental problems.

Do you know what his dental problems are?
    When was his last dental?

He eats twice a day and i do still leave a tiny bit of dm at nite for him, he is 22 lb cat and is fighting dental disease, kidney problems and of course diabetes.
    Any reason for giving him DM?
    22lbs sounds a lot for a kitty, but is he a Maine coon or similar?

Have you had elevated blood test results? What were they?

His numbers have been staying quite low, so last pm when he was 106 I panicked and thout if i give him his normal half of one unit of lantus will i throw him into hypoglycema. That is why I used the icon, also it was quite late and needed input, but got none so did not shoot and went to bed. I have been doing curves, testing and careing for his diabetes with no vets help for two years and we had done fine up to the current medical problems.So I know the curves, know how to home test,I do test in between the 12 hour span. His #s have been: 132-106-110-110-124-114-116-84-96- these are the past few days of tests...... I do have other posts about his dental,kidney problem.

Ahh just read about kidney-not something I have great experience on, see what others chime in with.

The numbers Cyndi-sorry but can you say at what point they were taken?

I.e AMPS
    +1
    +2
    etc
    +6
    etc
    PMPS
    It's the 84 and 96 if they are at the end of a cycle. :D

14. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Cyndi, don't take what has been advised as criticism. I'm new here too and have been told to change my post heading several times, both to boost it up and to calm it down, No criticism is meant, just learning how things work. You are asking for help and everyone is trying to help you, but they need enough information so that they don't make matters worse.

Post in the Lantus group, there is nearly always someone there unlike this forum which is not checked as often. That's why you may not have gotten an immediate response. Remember the people here are from all aver the world and time zones change as do people's schedule and time available to volunteer here.

15. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Cyndi I bumped Joanna's crosspost over in Lantus Land. Hopefully someone will take a look at it who has more experience and can help you. I hope you are still here ;-) There is a lot of us newbie's all the time.

Here is the link to that thread: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3898

16. Hawthorne

Hawthorne New Member

I think it's a shame that so much fuss was made over her posting a 911. I'm new to the board but it seems to me that no one should have "reprimanded" her for using 911.

She was distressed, loves her cat and didn't know what to do.

In my opinion, for what's is worth, it was a 911 to her. She came here for immediate help.

I think there should be more interest here in helping that in correcting protocol but it appears that posting "just right" is a priority.

17. paige

paige Well-Known Member

We are all here for the kitties.

18. Hawthorne

Hawthorne New Member

I am new here but this kind of thing really bothers me. I will try to disregard it but I don't know if I can. I have only been here a couple of days and have already seen a couple of instances like this.

If we are here for the kitties then lets be here for them!

19. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I have only seen two people get really upset since I started on here at the beginning of December. You could say that is alot or not. But you know it is hard to read what people are really trying to say. Sometimes things come across the wrong way - just like emails can. Alot of times when we are posting for help on here we are already sensitive and wanting to get help/advice for our babies to begin with. I know that when I am upset and asking for help I can sometimes take what someone says the wrong way and get my feelings hurt. I think you find that everywhere, but overall this place is amazing. However, I spend most of my time in Lantus Land and occasionally come over here.

Just my thoughts. :?

20. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Before you all get upset over being corrected about the icon, please take a moment to read what the icon means and its intended use: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1303

And please note, that she was NOT reprimanded for using the icon, rather after she started getting responses, she was politely asked to remove the 911 and I even suggested that she use one of the other available icons to continue getting her post viewed.

IN addition, I gave her information AND suggested she post on LL. Where more LL users are and could offer additional insight.

So, Paige and Hawthorne, before you get bothered or feel that it is ashame that this was pointed out - I suggest you think about the intent of the 911 and the emergencies that have needed to use it - such as hypo's and DKA's, etc.

AND Before you also start thinking that I am angry or upset that it was used or about this thread - think again. I am not angry, not upset.

I am only trying to help people with their cats. If you don't like that I and others are pointing out protocols then by all means, report me.

But if Cyndi left because we asked her to remove the 911, then that is ashame and there is nothing that can be done about.

And yes, if I see someone else using 911 when a more appropriate icon ought to be used, I will point it out to that person too.

21. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hillary - I was not speaking about you at all, please don't take it that way. No one in this post as a matter of fact. It was just about past experiences, not this one.

22. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I'm not sure if you are still around Cyndi, but please don't worry about the whole icon thing. We are all getting used to some new features like that on the board, and part of your hearing about it here is a reflection of our learning curve. :) I'm going to report this post to the Mod not as criticism of anyone here, but just to draw it to their attention in case any fine-tuning is needed of 911 policy.

Personally, I would much rather have someone flag something 911 and have it not turn out to be a life & death question, than have someone not flag, not feeling "sure" if it qualifies, and then have things go south because they didn't get needed eyes on their post.

Also, newbies are stressed and don't always even know how to edit posts, etc., and it might be easier if a post is questionable to have the Mod edit out the icon, rather than the newbie having to worry about it .

Not to open any big debate on the question, just mentioning it as when I cross-posted in LL last night I had some internal debate about whether or not to use the 911 icon, and that raised some red flags for me about the policy. I definitely think it shouldn't be overused, but I also think a potential emergency shouldn't get short-changed (or newbie feel like she can't post anymore) over "icon policy".

Everyone's intent here is to help the kitties, and I think some of the new board procedures will take some time until we all know how they work best.

[ETA: For full disclosure :D here is what I just reported to Mod:

The post itself is fine, I am reporting it to ask that the Mods/Rebecca review the 911 icon policy and be sure we are on the right track. I'm wondering if maybe we need a separate icon (sorry, so many icons!!) that is "Need help now" or something, to differentiate between 911. A lot of times people want advice before shooting and while it's not life or death, they do want urgent help, and it could potentially turn 911 if they make the wrong choice (like overshooting, or double shooting by accident).

This thread came to my attention last night when I cross-posted in LL for the newbie, who had flagged 911. I didn't *think* it was a true 911 so was hesitant to flag it 911 in Lantus, but ultimately I decided I should follow what the newbie did (and I put a CYA note in my post to that effect). It scares me a bit that I felt as worried about getting in trouble for mis-using the 911 icon as I felt worried for the newbie and her cat.

Thanks!!!]]]

23. Ann & Tess GA

I've been unsure in the last couple of weeks also and I didn't really understand a lot of the protocols here. It does take a while to learn and I agree the someone new could be given a little slack. Just think about a little gentler wording when suggesting a protocol correction. I know I hesitated to use 911 and was advised to add something like "HELP!!! or "SHOOT???" to the beginning of my subject, it got attention and I got the help I needed.

I do think the icons need some work. None of the icons have popups indicating what they mean, although the smilies do. I even posted in Tech and no one had a definitive answer. That would be a start and something a little less drastic than 911 would be nice too. I didn't press the matter because I knew Rebecca was swamped and had already done an incredible amount of work. Perhaps now is the time.

24. Hawthorne

Hawthorne New Member

paige - you edited the post you made following mine????????

All I can say is that I'm glad this discussion is going further, at the very least.

25. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Yes Hawthorne I did. I do not want to make waves. :mrgreen: I only took out the part about me being reprimanded (spelling?) for something I did.

26. Ann & Tess GA

I'd like to add one thig. For the Newbies, this is all about getting help for our Cats! Focus on that and don't worry about if your feelings feel hurt. Your cat is hurting and help is available here. Put it behind you and do what is best for your cat.

27. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Cyndi,

If you are still here - I apologize for hijacking your thread. Your post is important and I believe we have hopefully given you enough information as a starting point and an encouragement to please post on the LL board.

With that being said, I would like to include a copy of the PM I sent to Paige. Now, I could be way off base here, but this is my interpretation of the 911 button and well - just read:

Paige - don't be concerned, I'm not mad or angry or upset or anything.

I just get annoyed when we try to provide help to someone and others get upset with what was said about "protocols". My post was really directed at Hawthorne, as I don't think she read what was written, how it was written or why.

You've been on this board long enough, you've seen some of the true emergencies - like the most recent Baby overdose.

The 911 is a great tool, but honestly when it comes on a post - it scares a lot of people and my whole point as well as others, is that she was getting responses (albeit late), and while yes she was panicking, the "emergency" for her was over and therefore it's safe to remove the icon.

That was all we meant when we wrote it.

Just like on LL when someone has a question or major issue - they put something in the subject and once it's addressed/resolved, they are asked to remove the mark from the subject.

So, don't worry. OK.... :smile:

Hawthorne if you would like to discuss this further, we can - however, please start a new post so we don't further get away from Cyndi's needs.

28. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Just for reference for those who are new here, the board software changed about a month ago, and a number of things (like the icons for the posts) are still a work in progress. The 911 policy for instance just went up recently, and I think we are all still feeling our way as to how to use everything effectively, and still be sure all the cats & beans get the help they need. I don't think comments are generally meant as reprimands, it's just part of the learning curve for all of us as we work out the kinks on the new board. I hope those of you who are new will continue to post the questions you have, and try not to worry too much about the glitches - it's something that happens, and it seems like the glitch level has been higher since the software change. I think things will settle down in time, and in the meanwhile we all just do our best. :)

29. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

OK<OK< I had to answer all the responses from my last post, I had to come back to say, please, please all of you quit fussing over my 911!! Paig,Hillary,Phoebe, I didnt mean for this to cause all of you to get upset with each other.Hawthorne, please stay with the board, you are new and dont let this scare you away, two years ago the people really helped me so i could do for fuzzy on my own.I appreciate those that defended me, but no more disdain between all of you please! I can do just fine but cannot chose to leave or stay with out saying no more arguing, non of us will ever be rite or wrong in my mind i was rite as needed help now!! most of you have been here awhile, and i just didnt mean for all of you to start fighting over the post or icon. actually i liked the old board better!! thanks to all for the support i have recieved. be positive and help each others kitties! cyndi and fuzzy cat(2)_steam

30. paige

paige Well-Known Member

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

31. Joanna & Bix (GA)

ROTFL paige!!! cyndi, glad you are still around, even if it's only to keep us on track :) cat_pet_icon

32. Hawthorne

Hawthorne New Member

I don't want to discuss this further. I still feel that it was all handled very badly. I've only been a member for a few days and have seen something like this happen twice already!

This is also the second time I have been advised to "start a new thread"! Why should a new thread be started when so much has been aired on this one, about this?

I know the board went through some changes in the new year but it is supposed to be about helping people with diabetic cats, not being sure that every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed! I am aware that cyndi got help but then she got told what she should not have done. Can't you just help and MAYBE start a new thread about the "meaning" of 911? To me, that should not have been in this thread either! When you tie it to a person's post, when they are stressed about their cat, you simply anger them.

I belong to 2 other interent forums, have for years, and have never seen something like this.

I will read the board for a while but at this point, I am ready to leave - not because of what has happened to me but because of this, to me, silly 911 issue.

Perception of a 911 is very individual and, if a person is quite distressed about their beloved pet, it is a 911 in my mind because it is in their mind, even if it doesn't fit the protocol.

I do not plan to comment on this further so no need to "start a new thread"!

33. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

ok let's move on

Cyndi, how is Fuzzy doing today?

34. Hillary & Maui (GA)

The reason I asked you to start a new thread if you wanted to continue discussing the 911 issue, and given the fact that you posted, you obviously want to continue the discussion - is very simply, because this is Cyndi's post and she posted on one topic of concern. In order to show respect to Cyndi and ensure that her issue does not get lost among another issue, I asked you to start a new thread.

This is a common request, when one post tends to get taken over by another issue, the original post gets buried and message lost and the person who posted does not get the help they are seeking.

So, that is the reason WHY I asked you to start a new post and most likely why someone else did as well.

35. cyndi and fuzzy

cyndi and fuzzy Member

Pleas all that responded to this post, read my last entry under diabetic cats with kidney failure, wrote today, thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.