1/15 spice new amps pzi dosing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tajana340, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Here is her next amps# an hour later.

She will probably eat when i get ready for work.

1-12-10
    Pmps 521 - 1 unit pzi vet 9pm
    + 4 - 317

1-13-10
    Amps 298- 1 unit pzi vet 8 am
    +10 - 198
    Pmps 229 - .5 unit pzi vet 8:30 pm
    +2 - 399
    +4 342

1-14-10
    Amps 486 - 1 unit pzi vet 8:30 am

Pmps 417 - 1 unit pzi vet 8 pm
    +2 - 216
    +5 - 56
    +5.5 - 51
    +6.5 - 48
    +7 - 64

1-15-10
    Amps 241

So i think i should try the .8 unit since the .5 was too low of a dose. i think the .8 might be a good for a few days to see.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Before you dose, David, please read your previous threads. You have gotten some great advice re dosage there.

3. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Please see my post in your other thread.... viewtopic.php?p=25102#p25102 you can use the same thread through the day since you have the date on it.

I really urge you to stick to the .5u - or just under that: .4 if you can manage it or have the other syringes and the conversion chart. If you get the other syringes PLEASE use the conversion chart each dose.

Like Kimmee and others have said, ride out some higher numbers while you let the .5u settle. Then, if after 6 cycles the numbers are still high, you increase the dose to .75, giving that insulin time to settle, and then increase again with settling time. THAT is how we find the right dose.

Giving the .8 right now will be too much.

4. tajana340

tajana340 Member

ok i will ride out the .5 unit for a few days. i like that idea. Sorry about all this.

5. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Good luck with whatever you decide to do David.

6. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

I have to disagree with Terri here. The .8 might be too much and if you are trying to find a dose with which you can be consistent, you start lower and stick with that for a few days. I think that you'd find that .8u would still be too much and that you'd be wondering about skipping a dose at some point. Please do read the post in the other thread about how we START LOW AND GO SLOW.

Absolutely no need to apologise... This is an incredibly hard thing to grasp and then we mix into it the pressure of responsibility for our kitties AND the emotion of worry about them.

I think you will find that the .5u will allow you to relax your worry a bit and let you sleep. So, remember, the insulin needs settling time... We don't react to one number, we react and dose according to the patterns from the data.... Look at the big picture. Usually a cat on a dose of insulin that they are happy with has taken a few weeks to get there. Don't knock yourself at all. You are doing great - and so is Spicey. She has a wonderful dad.

The .5 was not too low... it may have just needed time to settle. It did get a reaction that did last and lower the next preshot... just keep that in mind in case you see the numbers rise today and you get a higher preshot tonight... Tonight you give .5u too if she is over 200 - no matter how high. She might be high due to the dry food and the low from last night.

I will add though... please do check for ketones.

7. tajana340

tajana340 Member

thanx guys i really do aprreciate it. this is still a little overwhelming.
    and spicey is responding the wet cannes special diet beef and chicken and i pulled all the dry food.

Well have to get ready for work.

8. ceil99

ceil99 Member

I personally would stay at the .5 dose for at least a week. Please realize that it takes insulin about a week to settle. START LOW AND GO SLOW!! The usual starting dose from our experiences is 1u twice a day for at least a week. pc_work

You have to be patient, as I also had to learn!! Do not adjust the dose upwards based on one test. Don’t freak out based on one test result. As long as the levels stay on the high side, keep the same dose twice a day for at least the initial week period and you should see improvements. When you have some time (hee hee), read my profile.

9. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Also, since we do get dry food in the mix occasionally, I've noticed that it can take a while [maybe a week or so] to get the effects of it fully out of their system. This change will increase the ups and downs and inconsistencies in the short term. It's tough for me when I DC the dry food to keep up with the needed changes.

10. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

David--there has always been a divide in the thinking on the issue of settling. Some people, as you've learned, believe that the dose must settle. Some people advocate 5 days, others advocate up to 2 weeks.

Then there are those who believe a cats body needs a little bit of time to equilibrate. The emphasis is on the cat's physical response rather than the dose. You'll see many of us recommend 3 days for equilibrium to be reached although there are some cats that do bounce around more and may need longer to adjust. Each cat is different or ECID.

Since none of us are vets, we each believe what we believe based on what we know from our personal experience and what we've read. Hopefully you are reading and deciding what you believe. You are the one holding the syringe--you need to be comfortable with whatever you decide to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.