1/15 Spicey Amps#s

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tajana340, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Good morning everyone and here are the #s.

1-12-10
    Pmps 521 - 1 unit pzi vet 9pm
    + 4 - 317

1-13-10
    Amps 298- 1 unit pzi vet 8 am
    +10 - 198
    Pmps 229 - .5 unit pzi vet 8:30 pm
    +2 - 399
    +4 342

1-14-10
    Amps 486 - 1 unit pzi vet 8:30 am

Pmps 417 - 1 unit pzi vet 8 pm
    +2 - 216
    +5 - 56
    +5.5 - 51
    +6.5 - 48
    +7 - 64

1-15-10
    Amps 135 no insulin 8:30 am

I did get her to eat and I am going to check her bg at 9:45 to see where she is at. Not sure if i am going to give her insulin.
    Although worried that if i don't her numbers will be very high when I get home tonite from work.

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

If she's high enough to shoot at your next test, you might try to lower the dose just a little to .8. If you don't have U100 syringes, go to the PZI group and look at Buddha's posting. I think Terri gave some hints about shooting a finer dose with U-40 syringes. I'm glad Spicey is giving you some good numbers.

3. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

If she would eat low-carb food today, you may not need to give insulin. She acts very much like a kitty that wants to be diet controlled.

4. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

I also think that Spicey looks as if she is trying to get off the juice... But, here's what I think about the numbers so far... Edited to add: I just saw the thread from last night and that Spicey had dry food. That may contribute to higher than usual BG today along with the reaction to the lows...

Don't worry about her numbers being high tonight, they will more likely than not be high tonight in reaction to the lows last night - unless today is the day her pancreas decides to work fully.

This is good data to be gathering and we now know that 1u is just too much at this time. I said in one of my other posts, and I apologise, there have been a lot of those in your threads, but I said that you want a dose that you can maintain in a consistent fashion. So even if you give a dose tonight to a high number and you don't get the reaction you think you should, you may get that reaction over a few cycles of a consistent dose. Insulin needs time to settle... and we have seen that even on the .5u the next cycle preshot was lower than the last one. You might have found that another dose of .5u brought it a bit lower and then a bit lower each cycle, while Spicey had a gentle curve on each. There is not race to the low numbers.

I also think that in an hour she will not likely be high enough to shoot unless you want to give just a smidgeon - under the .5u. Sure, the .5u didn't do much to the high numbers but it still did something and we don't know what it will do to a lowish number right after staying so low in the last cycle. And clearly the 1 unit is too much - we've seen that a couple times now.

If it were me, and I was around to test and give food and treat for lows if they came, I would test in 1 hour and if it was close to 200, I would give less than .5u. If I were not around to test, I would not give anything and I would wait until the PM.

For tonight, no matter how high the number, I would shoot at .6u or somewhere between that and .75u or as close to that as possible. I think I said that in one of my posts but have not gone back yet to read the other opinions to find out why the 1 unit was given instead. I know it sounds a bit strange that these tiny doses can make a difference but .25u is a bit amount to a cat. So don't react to the high PMPS with 1 full unit... that's too much even with high numbers and it's better that she have a lower dose and the numbers slowly reduce than that you have to skip a shot every few cycles. Remember, you want that curve to look like a gentle smile more than a sharp V...

Spicey had a nice surf in some good numbers last night... Did you give her any food during those numbers to keep her from going lower or was that a natural surf?

5. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Victoria,

Spicey had 6 grams of wet canned friskies special diet beef and chicken and ate a little dry food other than that it was what it was. Was just concerned that she was going to go below 40 :shock: but it bounced back :smile:

6. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

That's great... What have her numbers been like today and tonight?

7. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Perhaps Spice is headed to the Falls? Her bgl behavior is much like Stormy's was right before he became diet controlled. *crossing fingers*

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.