Discontinue Pzi Vet? Any thoughts

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tajana340, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I just saw a post regarding pzi vet and I though I read somewhere that they were discontinuing it?

And if they are what insulin would be comparable. I work 9 hours somedays and I like so far the 2 x a day dosing.

Any thoughts? Should I have a say on which one with my vet.

David

2. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

> I just saw a post regarding pzi vet and I though I read somewhere
    > that they were discontinuing it?

Idexx stopped making PZI-Vet about 20 months ago. There is still some available, but supplies are limited and dwindling.

> And if they are what insulin would be comparable.

The "most comparable" would probably be one of the compounded PZIs; you can get a free trial vial from BCP, or you can check your local phone book for compounding pharmacies and see if they'll make it for you (and save yourself postage). Note that compunded insulins tend to have more variation in strength and a more limited shelf life than manufactured insulins like PZI-Vet.

Also, Idexx sold the rights to PZI-Vet to a company called Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica. BIV recently introduced a new insulin called ProZinc, which they say is a replacement insulin for PZI-Vet. As this is a pretty new insulin, there isn't a lot of experience with it as yet. Some folks have been able to switch over exactly from one to the other, while others have run into problems. You can probably get more information on exact experiences in the PZI forum.

> I work 9 hours somedays and I like so far the 2 x a day dosing.

The vast majority of cats require twice-a-day dosing.

> Any thoughts? Should I have a say on which one with my vet.

Each insulin has it's pros and cons, and every insulin has cats who do well on it and cats who do poorly. Other insulin options I can think of off-hand are:

* Vetsulin / Caninsulin: No! do *not* choose this option or let your vet talk you into this. There are manufacturing and quality problems with this insulin and it's being discontinued.
    * NPH / Humulin N: a short-lasting fast-acting insulin. Easy to get, fairly cheap. Because of it's fast steep drops and comparatively short duration, generally not a favorite insulin for cats, but there are cats who do do well on it.
    * Lantus (glargine): a favorite with a lot of (comparatively) newly diagnosed cats. There are a lot of users of this insulin, and therefore a lot of folks who can help support you with dosing decisions. Users tend to aim for tighter regulation than in some other insulins, but often achieve a higher rate of remission as a result. More 'fragile' insulin than PZI, with (potentially) limited shelf life once opened. There's some dispute as to whether/how strictly you need to follow an exact 12/12 shot schedule (which I haven't followed since I use PZI, and which I don't want to get into the middle of!)/
    * Levemir (determir): another newer insulin. Not as favored (pushed) as Lantus, but has quite a few users as well. I *think* it also has a fairly good remission rate, but am not certain.
    * compounded PZI: potentially the closest to what you're used to.
    * ProZinc: as noted above

And also, your final option (assuming I didn't any major groups above): PZI-Vet: There *are* some supplies of this left, if you can find them. *If* your cat has done well on this so far, and *if* you _honestly_ think remission on PZI-Vet is a possibility, you might try finding a vial or two and trying to get into remission before it runs out. If you don't think you've done well enough on PZI-Vet that you'll achieve remission, then I'd suggest switching to a different insulin, and I suggest switching sooner rather than later.

Why? Because (1) the closer to diagnosis you try for remission, the better your chances of getting it (although remission is never out of the question -- there've been cats who've been active diabetics for five years who've gone into remission). Also, (2) it's better to switch insulins while the cat is healthy and you have some control over the situation than to be suddenly forced to switch to a different insulin during a period when the cat may be ill.

And (3), there are some folks with cats who, due to problems with regulation or illness (or both), are not wiling to switch away from PZI-Vet just yet. I'm one of them. IIRC, we went through 4 or 5 insulins before we found one that Gwyn did well on. She turns 20 in a few weeks, has a whole *lot* of health issues going on, and her health is *very* delicately balanced. She's almost certainly not well enough to survive switching to a different insulin, particularly considering the difficulty we had in finding one that worked for her in the first place. I don't know how many PZI-Vet users are in similar positions, but I assume most of us who haven't already switched to a different insulin either have a hoard of PZI-Vet in the fridge or have compelling reasons for not switching.

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

My thoughts are you have other worries right now :smile:

ProZinc in the current go-to switch for PZI Vet. You have nothing to worry about in terms of PZI Vet being discontinued. But honestly you are not there so don't worry about it. When you get there, we'll cross that bridge. I just switched H and it went fine in the large picture. If you read abut us in the PZI forum you can get into the details. But honestly, you have enough things goings ons right now that IMHO you should stay focused on getting Spicey regulated and honing your skills.

How much of your bottle of PZI Vet do you have left?

Get your spreadsheet going, OK? [And maybe get those U-100 needles in]

You are a brave an courageous dude David. Spicey is so lucky to have you.

4. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Gator,

I have half right now and I was going to order more. And yes I am definetely going to get the u100 needles. Just don't know when. Money and payday is next week.

David

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

If it turns out that 0.5U is the right dose, that half bottle should last you at least few months I would think.

Probably the two best PZI Vet replacement options are ProZinc and BCP compounded beef insulin. Since ProZinc is a manufactured insulin there are certain advantages to it [longr shelf life - perhaps higher consistency of strength]. BCP is an all beef insulin product and may be better since beef insulin is a closer match for kitty insulin than the human type insulin in ProZinc. When it becomes time to switch you will have the skill set to handle the switch smoothly. Ultimately both of these PZI Vet alternatives are a very close match for PZI Vet.

6. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi David,

I would urge you to ask your Vet to consider Levemir or Lantus (glargine). My cat was on PZI Vet then BCP PZI for a very long time (almost 3 years), and while she did okay on it, I would never go back. Layla's been on Levemir more than two years now, and to me, it is a far superior insulin.

Do your research and make the choice that is best for you and your cat.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.