Need help with giving fluids.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tim & Chris, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim & Chris

Tim & Chris Member

I was OK on Sunday. It went really well for the first time. But tonight she wanted nothing to do with it. I got stuck with the needle and almost bit. Are there any tricks that will make it easier on her? She's only 5 lbs so it's hard to find a place to give the fluids. I think she's just getting tried of being bothered.

Thnaks
    Chris

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Tim & Chris

Tim & Chris Member

I must have hit a muscle because when the needle went in she jerked her neck back and I almost got bit. She's pretty
    nervous because of all the vet stuff lately. I think I will try the feliway as recommended here. I had someone helping me but I think they just made her more nervous. I know if I can give insulin to Tim I can do this but I felt like a complete idiot
    when she jumped like that.

Chris

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you (gently) warming the fluids before hand? I have tried in the past and I think that was my downfall - I didn't know to do that. I don't know what temp though, I will see if I can find someone who can say for sure. The clothespin trick posted above is supposed to work wonders too, so definitely give that a try!

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I warm the bag to 101 F or below. I think normal cat temp is supposed to be 100.5-102.5? I have a fancy digital thermometer that I know is professionally calibrated to be accurate - so if I were not so sure about the thermometer I might give a little more headroom and not warm it up so much. Also, I warm the bag only in a heating pad so it has to go through the tubing which will cool it down a hair. I've seen the IR thermometers recommended. One way to roughly calibrate [or see how far it may be off] your thermometer is to make an ice water slushy - it should read 32 F in that. Then boil water good and strong and that should be 212 F.

I've never used the clothespin trick but I wonder how one is supposed to pin the scruff of the neck and still use that scruff to get the needle in?

What type/size needle are you using? I use a 1" long needle - anything longer would seem unwieldy to me. The needle does not need to go in very far at all, once it breaks the skin, that seems to be enough for us - your results may vary. Also I use a 21g needle which is much smaller than the 18g that a couple vets have given us. The Terumo needles in 20g and below have a special thinner wall construction which allows more fluids through [faster] than comparable gauge needles from other manufacturers. Supposedly the Terumo's are also sharper. Here is a place to get them [and perhaps the admin sets] if needed:
    http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/7409/ ... nd-needles

You got a lesson from your vet right on how to do it?

I put H in his bed [a safe place that he is comfortable in] on one of my couches and sit next to him. I hang the bag from an "S" hook hanging from a carabiner from a nail in my wall. Anyway, the cheap plastic "S" hooks from Wal-Mart or Home Depot are super handy for hanging the bag from and can be hung in many other fashions. It's just important that you get the right setup where your kitty feels safe and comfortable - or at least that works well for us.

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

with Kitty she fought us tooth and nail when we were first supposed to do fluids. to the point that we gave up and didn't give them. a year or so later when age decided it would take her from us we did have to do fluids those last few days and she didn't fight us as much then. the vet had us split her carrier in two. lay her on a towel in there like a crib and cover the end her head was at with another towel. almost as if she were in a small room. the darkness seemed to calm her enough we were able to give her the fluids then.

with Spazzie all I had to do was sit a plate of tuna in front of her and let her chomp on that. as long as she had her tuna, she didn't care what we were doing with that big needle and bag of fluids

and yes, i did find that warming the fluids made a big difference. i warmed them and did it kinda like a you do when you're making a baby bottle. i sat the bag in a sink of warm water for awhile and then i would check it by letting it run out on to my wrist. when i didn't think it was cold anymore, then i'd use it on the cat.

7. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

I also warm the bag and it does make a big difference. I microwave the water in a bowl until it's warm and then put the bag in the warm water until the fluids feel warm to the touch. I also have Albert's favorite treats on hand and give his treats to him while I'm giving him his fluids. It takes his mind off of the needle and he gets rewarded at the same time. Albert actually gets a little excited now when I set up the bag because I think he relates it to treat time.

If you're not already doing this, it also helps to change the needle everytime. The needle will dull after you use it - even after using it once. This also makes a big difference, I think.

The only problem I do have is leaking. Albert leaks almost everytime, but not enough to worry that he's not getting enough fluids.

Good luck. It will get easier as time goes on. cat_pet_icon

8. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

We do fluids everyday and I don't have much to add to this great list of advice, but here's our routine.

-I warm the fluids with heating pad until it gets tepid, if it gets too hot, I cool it off in cold water.
    -I go by touch also - no thermometer- the back of your hand is temp sensitive
    -I have a set up in our laundry room, favorite bed on a counter, bag hanging on a plastic hanger about 3 feet up. the higher up, the faster it flows.
    -new needle every stick. I put a new needle on after we're done and leave the wrapper on it so I know its new for next time.
    -I pinch the scruff at the top of the shoulder blades and pull up a tent, then slide the needle in between my pinched fingers. I move it up and down between my fingers so I know its not in any muscle. Then I open it up full. Usually I keep one hand over the needle so it doesn't come out, but other times he is so still I don't even hold him.
    -I use a sharpie to mark on the bag where I start and stop each day, and what day it is.
    - My sugar cat never complains about the needle stick, but my civie (kidney) who gets fluids 2x/week will cry/squirm at the stick , then lays there without moving, just like the sugarcat.

-warming the fluids IS important, and the thinner needles might be a great idea for you.
    -Sams sells a case of 1000 ml lactated ringers solution for about $23
    -My vet said it is OK to use the tubing twice, so I do, and use a sharpy to mark each time I used it.
    -Each cat has his own bag.
    -I'm pretty careful to get all the bubbles out of the tube.
    -If you pinch the skin as you pull the needle out and hold it for a few seconds, it helps with the leaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.