suggestions on better food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sun, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sun

sun Member

hi,

my cat, named siujim is 16 and 17 in april :)
    she was diagnosed diabetes and at that time also ketonic in mid dec 09. no longer kentoic and gradually getting better mobility and purring... yet still figuring out the right dosage for now, as she still can't go into a remission.
    she is using lantus and i have done the spreadsheet for detailed info. will do another blood test tomorrow after furhter raising dose to 2.5 unit 2 weeks ago.
    she is tiny, just 5.4p now. she was 7p, down to 5.8p in mid dec, and her weight is further down.

info:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html

i have been feeding her alpaws canned tuna (with a lot of rice) and shrimp and RC dry food (senior cats) before diabetes.

and after that, i feed her home made shrimp, plus almo nature tuna (get rid of the rice) and wellness core grain-free chicken favour.

may i ask is there any better food for her so that she can regain weight?
    she has her food every 4 hr. starting at 530am, and insulin at 7am.

the full blood test and culture shows she is still healthy (pls also note the figures in the spreadsheet), so i hope she can deal with the diabetes problem soon...

she is on supplement (potassium, b-12, and only a bit salmon oil as she doesn't quite like it much)
    she loves tuna, but hates salmon.

thx very much.

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Your cat needs to be on a complete diet that includes all the supplements, especially taurine, that are not found in the seafood you are feeding. In addition a fish heavy diet is contraindicated for cats because of the heavy metals that contaminate our supply worldwide. In addition, diabetics on a heavily fish diet can develop an addiction that causes them to starve themselves unless they get fish. This is dangerous because a diabetic on insulin must eat and hunger strikes can't be allowed to happen.

That said, go to http://www.catinfo.org to learn about what your cat needs to be healthy. Janet's charts will help, they are the next stop for you, but please get an understanding of the needs of cats first.

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

there's the little pointy cat :)

hey there. i'm in a hurry - peeking in from work - but i'm a little alarmed. your ss says she's spilling more sugar with the new bottle of insulin? could it be that the new bottle isn't good to begin with? was it refrigerated when you picked it up at the pharmacy? are you not testing with a glucometer anymore?

gia's right that siujim needs a nutritionally complete diet. but i honestly don't know what foods are available in hong kong. i don't know if we've ever had members from hong kong before? does anyone know?

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

catfriend_cn does, I think. She was a newbie who posted on the old board in late December. I don't think she ever made it to this board. Here is a post on the old board that has her MSN Messagner username: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1966309 Not sure if that will help or not.

There is also Mark and MoMo from the old board. Don't think he made it over here, either. His profile has his email address: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/p ... php?8,8267 A post he started looking for good canned food choices: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 72,1630511

5. sun

sun Member

thx.

we have almost all canned food you have in north america.

is feeding her wellness core enough? she has it also (chicken/turkey/liver favor)
    she is on k supplement, b-12 and salmon oil.
    what else does she needs?

what type of food has taurine?
    thx

6. sun

sun Member

i have contacted mark.
    thx.
    we do have wellness core (grain-free) here.
    but all i can find is that one. no other choice. this is why i asked.
    thx again

7. sun

sun Member

for the new bottle, i got it from the vet. it is kep in the fringe...
    anyways, i will use the old bottle first.
    usually, i will use a new one after 4 weeks.

i still test with glucometer. the vet suggest i do it two weeks AFTER the new dose. so i will do it tomorrow.

8. sun

sun Member

i read the list and checked.
    we do have wysong and nature's variety, besides wellness.

i will try those as well.

thx.

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Wellness CORE canned is fine to feed :smile:

Nature's Variety Instinct grain-free is the one you want to feed http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can, not the Prarie or HomeStyle ones.

I'm not sure if any of the Wysong varieties are good to feed. The Au Jus one is ok but it is only for supplemental feeding because it does not contain any vitamins or minerals.

As basic rule, any food that does not contain grains, starches, or any sort of high carb ingredient is ok to feed. Vitamins and minerals must be listed in order for the food to be nutritionally complete and ok to feed on a daily basis. If in doubt, ask here for advice :smile:

10. sun

sun Member

thx. i have been feeding her wellness core chicken.
    and she doesn't like that a lot. so eat only a bit.
    i really want to quit the almo nature tuna...

yes, the wysong chicken (all meat, no grain) is not a balacned diet but ok to feed a few times per week. so she has different food.
    and i''ll try the nature's variety.
    i wish she likes it.

thx.

and i'll see

11. sun

sun Member

hi, besides the wellness core canned (grain-free), they have a new recepe which has tuna (as she likes tuna more, then i can quit the shrimp + tuna raw as i don't have well-balanced vit and supplement ( i just add salmon oil and b-12 and potassium gluconate)

this one:
    http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_well ... _tuna.html

is it ok to feed?
    they don't have grain but do have potato and sweet potato.

thx.

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Her is the ingredients:
    Turkey Broth, Tuna, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Carrots, Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Cranberries, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Carbonate, Taurine, Iron Proteinate, Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

It looks pretty good. However, cats can become addicted to fish-only. Also, fish tends to have high phosphorous which is not good for kidney impaired kitty. Further, fish like tune can have high concentration of heavy metals like mercury which may not be good (but may be OK considering the relatively short live of kitties compared to humans).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.