variation in meters

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dbdb, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbdb

dbdb Member

I've just done 4 readings with two different meters, all at the same time on the same cat

Bbraun Omnitest3 231(12.8)
    Glucomen LX Plus 176 (9.8)

Bbraun Omnitest3 191(10.6)
    Glucomen LX Plus 158 (8.8)

Those last two were from the same drop of blood!

So two things - the meters are significantly out with each other (20% higher with the Bbraun), and blood from one ear is widely different to blood from the other taken at the same time (21% out). Or the meters are just 21% inaccurate.

Is this a known problem and how do people deal with it?

Incidentally I tend to trust the higher figures of Bbraun more as it has given figures of 2.8, 2.9 (50) for my healty non-diabetic cat and I can't believe she is really 20% below that and still healthy.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Yep, comparing meters can drive a sane person completely bananas. Been there, done that....more than once...(but then I am rather fond of bananas....) :mrgreen:

I've stuck with my One Touch Ultra meter for six and a half years. It seems, consistently, to do fairly well in meter ratings. So this is the meter I usually send out to UK newbies who need a test kit. (Though I know that a few folks in the UK use the Accucheck Aviva (because it uses smaller blood sample, I think).

I was only thinking earlier today that we rely SO much on our meter readings, but it is also so important to be aware of what's actually happening to the cat as well. When Bertie had his first hypo the meter reading was 2.6(47) on my One Touch Ultra. That's not a number I was expecting to see hypo symptoms at. But, despite the stress at the time, it gave me a valuable reference point.... :-|

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.