HELP - anyone good at syringe feeding, please PM me

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shirley and Ragnar, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirley and Ragnar

Shirley and Ragnar Member

Please, if someone out there is good at syringe feedling (I almost wrote force-feeding, which it seems to be), please send me a PM. I can't get the rhythm right - too much food, then too long between, I think. It is terrible here.

Blessings,

Shirley and the one she loves

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you are not working with a PEG tube, you may find it works best to do small amounts frequently, rather than a marathon session.

Aim at the side and back of the mouth, so you don't push food into the airways.

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

This is the best video I've seen on assist feeding a cat:

[youtube]U6o17wH6ujk[/youtube]

Good luck and please let us know how we can help. We have a lot of knowledge a d experience in this group.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It takes practice for both parties. Also, some kitties just do not take to assisted feeding.
    I could not assist feed my Tonis
    My Lightning is very easy to assist feed. I have been assist feeding him for over a year.
    My Thunder is also as bas.
    Next better is my Patches.
    My civi Izzy is the hardest I have now. She tends to sit out quite a bit.

7. zachnic

zachnic New Member

Hi! I am Zach's mom, and I am so glad I found y'all! Zach was diagnosed just 2 weeks ago, and the vet said he was in the later stages. We thought he was a goner, but the vet gave him fluids, and 1 unit on insulin, and he got so much better. He was very lethargic at first, and we thought it was too late. I stayed up till 3 and 5 am most nights just making sure he had his blanket on, and he stayed on the heating pad since his temperature had dropped to 97.

Then after the first week, he even ate on his own, and became his sweet little self again. This past Tuesday, he just stopped eating again. We took him to the vet yesterday for more fluids as he is dehydrated once more.

I feel like such a failure! I tried to force feed him with a syringe that had a bigger hole, (the vet tech did that for me) and I think he wore more than he ate! He looked awful, and I hated the way this was going. He was so mad at us! cat(2)_steam

Finally, I gave him Catsip milk in the syringe, and gave him 2 units of insulin since the vet told us to up the amount. I will watch the video, and maybe that will help us. I just don't think it's time to let him go. If he eats, then that's half the battle. Any help with all of this will be appreciated! Thanks!

8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Zach's mom! Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never expected to be.

I created your own topic for you to post in. It's called "Zach's mom - needs help". Look over there for advice just for you and your cat Zach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.