Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit canned values

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rachel & Chyna (GA), Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I've been doing more food research looking for low carb and low phos for my diabetic/CKD kitty since I am needing to do a food trial with a different protein food to try pinpoint her food allergy (if that is what it is). I was curious about Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit since it isn't listed on the food charts anywhere with values that I could see and the other instinct ones have decent carbs. They gave carbs as 8% but their other instinct ones on the list I see are under 3%? I don't know much about converting, but I contacted them for "as fed" values and asked for the % calorie info so I figured I'd share it:) This was what they emailed:

All nutritional information is available on our website at http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/can/rabbit.

The values listed in our guaranteed analysis are “as fed” (with the moisture). Here’s an example of how to convert “as fed” to “dry matter” (with the moisture removed):

Example: Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Cans
    Guaranteed Analysis:
    Protein 10%
    Fat 7.5%
    Fiber 3%
    Moisture 75%
    To calculate the amount of Protein on a Dry Matter basis ...
    10 (the percent of the product as fed) divided by 25 (reciprocal of the moisture percent or 100% - Moisture %) x 100 = 40%
    So on a Dry Matter basis the amount of protein in our Instinct Rabbit Cans is 40%

Here is the additional nutritional information you requested:
    Instinct Rabbit Cans
    Calories from Protein - 32%
    Calories from Fat - 59%
    Calories from Carbohydrates - 8%
    Phosphorus - 0.232 g/100 kcal

2. quilterkitty

quilterkitty Member

Thanks, Rachel! You beat me to it. :lol: Nice to see that the carbs are under 10, at least.
    Phyllis >^..^<

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

wascally wabbit!! :lol:

I had always figured it was close to 5 percent.... but like all the foods, Shadow likes them in the beginning.... and then doesn't.

Thanks for getting the info.....

4. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Yes, I was already researching it on Monday:) I hope it helps anyone who is interested, since so many of you help me :D

5. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Thanks for contacting them. They were talking about converting to Dry Matter and then gave these values, but it looks like Metabolized Energy results if you look up the Ash (2.11%) Which is good because that's what all the lists are in.

You could also contact local butcher shops about novel protein if you decide to try making raw. If you go for a recipe w/out bones you don't need the expensive grinder, just chunk up the meat and which is also good for the teeth. Switching out calcium carbonate for bonemeal helps to reduce Phosphorus for CKD cats.

6. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Thanks, I was wondering what to do about bonemeal as I read something about not giving foods with it to CKD cats but it didn't say why. Just to clarify if anyone was wondering, when I emailed the company for the values I asked if they could provide the "as fed" values instead of guaranteed analysis, the mg phos per 100 kcal, the dry matter analysis, and the % calories for protein, fat, carb, and phosphorus. They gave g/phos instead of mg but that's easy enough to convert, LOL. And they were pretty fast at answering me, so I was impressed ;-)

7. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I tried this one out on Mikey, but he's allergic to it (as he seems to be allergic to all non-poultry meats so far). One thing worth pointing out is the lower protein/fat ratio (54%). I only notice this again because of Mikey; his young age requires higher protein and I've found anything above 50% protein/fat ratios doesn't seem to spike his BGs too significantly, but the higher the better. Too much fat and his numbers go up. :? Not sure how this correlates to full-grown felines, but I suspect that protein/fat ratio is applicable across the board and just hasn't been researched thoroughly enough.

I also created a sorted version of Dr. Lisa's list with phos/100 kcal sorted (but first carb, then protein/fat ratio) that might help you find some good foods to try that are lower in phosphorus. I initially created it to help with Mikey's unique dietary restrictions, but I've since found it potentially useful for others.

8. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Great minds think alike, I did a sortable one the other day too:) Thanks for sharing, the ratio idea is interesting. I'm thinking I have the opposite problem, not being able to eat poultry :roll: It could be just chicken, or beef, turkey and fish as well...I guess the elimination diet should tell. I'm pretty sure that chicken is (one of) the culprit(s). Right now I'm feeding the Natures Variety Instinct Duck (which has turkey liver so I'm not sure about it either) and transitioning her to Ziwipeak Lamb to try alone as the "different" protein. I may have to try the rabbit if the lamb doesn't work. It's only been a few days but there seems less scratching...maybe me just hopeful wishing :D

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Nothing at all wrong with a little hopeful wishing.

Have you thought to check for gluten in the food you are feeding? Wheat gluten can be an allergen as can soy. Just another thought.

10. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Thanks:) I guess all my allergy info and questions are in another post; she's been on grain free since I switched to wet, with the exception of Cowboy Cookout which seemed to raise her BG so I stopped giving it after a few "mini meals" of it. I even switched her litter to make sure, I was using Swheat Scoop and was worried about the grain :shock: I don't see soy in the labels, but will double check them ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.