Misty's blood work questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MiloMistyMax, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiloMistyMax

MiloMistyMax Member

My cat Misty, not diabetic, hasn't been wanting to eat today and yesterday so I brought her in for blood work since I haven't had it done for her in years. She was nauseous this morning also. Her only issue is constipation which she takes Cisapride and Lactulose for. One of her liver numbers was high but the vet didn't seem too concerned about it so I was hoping for another opinion. She sent me home with Cerenia and Remeron. She said if her white blood cell count is high she will give me antibiotics. I don't get that either. She will call me on Monday with that number. I will give her the Cerenia and Pepcid but I will hold off on the Remeron unless she really needs it.
    Misty is 12.

ALB 3.3 / 2.2-4.4
    ALP 57 / 10-90
    ALT 237 / 20-100
    AMY 483 / 300-1100
    TBIL 0.2 / 0.1-0.6
    BUN 19 / 10-30
    CA++ 8.6 / 8.0-11.8
    PHOS 4.5 / 3.4-8.5
    CRE 1.4 / 0.3-2.1
    GLU 105 / 70-150
    NA+ 154 / 142-164
    K+ 4.5 / 3.7-5.8
    TP 6.6 / 5.4-8.2
    GLOB 3.3 / 1.5-5.7
    HEM 0
    LIP 1+
    ICT 0

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I agree with our vet. Nothing to be concerned about. The high liver value is very likely do to not eating.

3. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

My mom`s friend`s cat was put on cisapride, I guess this has been taken off the market from what she told me and now has to be made specially at a pharmacy. One vet she took her cat to put him on it and she was not happy with vet, she took her cat to another vet who took him off of it and put him on Metoclopramide. Also my cat was on Lactulose for a long time and went into liver failure and I had to have him PTS. He also had other health problems. I am not a big fan of Lactulose. I If I had to do all over again I would had him on Metoclopramide and Miralax. He was chronically constipated. My cat was not diabetic either. Constipation can cause vomiting and upset stomach. My cat Andy used to throw up when he would not poop for a couple days.
    Your cat`s ALT is an increased liver value which could be causing the upset stomach and not wanting to eat. Hopefully this will go back to normal.

Terri

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When a cat doesn't eat, for whatever reason, fat stores will get broken down for calories. If enough fat gets broken down, it may tax the liver, causing elevation of 1 or more of the enzymes.

It is possibe for the bowels to be parially obstructed; some fecal matter may get through, but not all. Sometimes an enema or two may be needed in that case.

Feline Constipation has tons of information on the problem, as well as tactics for managing it, should you need it.

5. MiloMistyMax

MiloMistyMax Member

I am less worried now. I read about cats that have an ALT in the thousands so hers doesn't seem as bad. A slight concern maybe, but not terrible. She ate quite a bit for me today. I remembered what the vet said she could have, was hepatitis. But it depends on her white blood count or something.

I was googling Cisapride and Lactulose to see if much was said on liver problems but came up with squat. On one site it says Lactulose is used for constipation and liver disease. Can something used to treat liver disease cause liver disease? Seems unlikely but you never know. I may eventually switch her to Miralax but now is not the time for that.
    The Cisapride I read that the reason it was banned for humans was because of drug interactions that caused heart or kidney problems. If that's the case then if Lactulose doesn't interact badly with it then I don't see an issue. But even if it was bad, she desperately needs it. It's one of those things where you have to weigh the pros and cons. I had a cat who was on a high dose of Pred long term. Definitely not a good thing but he would not have lived without it.

Her poop is excellent. If there were a perfect poop contest, hers could be a contender for first prize. ;-)

Anyways thanks for your help everyone :D

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

*snort*

8. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

I already have a trail cam set up in my basement so I can so who has diarrhea/BM/pee/how often/what time; so far, I've got over 400 pictures to choose from; you said only one entry, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.