Petsmart brand "Grreat Choice" cat food data?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rachel & Chyna (GA), Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone feeds the Petsmart brand "Grreat Choice" canned wet food, and if so if you have the data on any of the different flavors at all? I'm looking for carb content and phosphorus levels. I can call the company too but figured I'd see if anyone is using it here first:) I've been looking on Dr Lisas list and some of the other lists but didn't see it on any of them. Thanks for any help you can give :D

2. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I think they used to be "sophisticats" (in those little 3oz cans?) or something like that. I used them for a while, comparable to FF.

Unless someone else remembers them as something else.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, their house brand used to be Sophisticat. The formula may have changed a bit, but was originally OK. It came in small, medium, and large cans.

A feeding trial to see impact on glucose will show you if you can use it. Otherwise, you'll need to write the manufacturer for As Fed information.

4. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Thanks. I would try for carbs but I have to worry about low phos for kidney failure too. I will have to write or call them most likely;) I was hoping someone already had and was being lazy LOL.

5. rvontrapp

rvontrapp Member

Grreat Choice DID used to be Sophistacat, but they tweaked the formula when they changed the brand name (per the manufacturer rep I spoke to last year - they were VERY helpful). I've been feeding the Sophistacat/Grreat Choice for a couple of years now and it has worked very well for our kitties. Our diabetic kitty needs much less insulin and has lost several pounds, making him more of a healthy weight now. I got the nutritional info on several of the lower carb flavors in an email from the manufacturer Feb of 2012, and I loaded it into a spreadsheet. However, I haven't checked back with them to see if it has changed since then. Not sure if it will be much help because I didn't ask for Phos content. I'll try to attach the spreadsheet with this post. I'm not as tech savvy as I should be so no promises! If you do end up having to contact the manufacturer for Phos content info and/or for updated values, would you please post it here on this thread? I'd like to have all the information I can get ahold of. :)

Attached Files:

6. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Thanks, that is an awesome sheet! I didn't have time to call today, hopefully next week...I doubt they are open on the weekend but I may try after the holiday tomorrow just in case:)

7. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

[quote="rvontrapp" I'll try to attach the spreadsheet with this post. [/quote]Your SS looks great! I've been wondering about this food as well, and now thanks to you I have a handy SS I'm going to print out and take with me to Petsmart! Thanks so much :D

8. rvontrapp

rvontrapp Member

You're welcome, just keep me posted. Confession, I still take a printout of the spreadsheet to the store too!

9. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

I take Dr.Lisas list in my car with me to have when I go cat food shopping, highlighted the "good" foods LOL. I contacted Petsmart, they said they are passing my request on to the quality assurance team for all the nutritional info and they will get back to me with the information when it's available. So paws crossed, and I will let you know when/if I hear back. They have my email to send it to:)

10. rvontrapp

rvontrapp Member

Congratulations on having Chyna Off-The-Juice!! She has very pretty coloring. I hope she honeymoons for a good long time!

You may already have the info you need waiting in your email box, but just in case you don't - here is the contact info of the rep who helped me:

Debra Pierce
    Consumer Affairs
    Pet Food Division
    debra.pierce@simfoods.com
    office: 856-662-7412 x3055
    cell: 856-381-3500
    fax: 856-662-7317
    simmonspetfood.simmonsglobal.com

I contacted her just to make sure the contact info was still good (it is) and that she didn't mind me sharing her info (she doesn't). Simmons Global makes pet and people food, and their pet food is sold under many different brand names including the Grreat Choice brand. Also, there is nothing special about the listed food flavors on my spreadsheet, other than they were the flavors we had avaialable in our PetSmart and I knew my kitties liked. I never asked her for the nutrional info for ALL of the flavors. Surely there are additional flavors that may be suitable, and some maybe even have a lower phosphate content.

11. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Thanks, I hope she is OTJ for a long time too, and think she is beautiful but I am prejudiced a bit in that area ;-)

Thanks for all the contact info. I haven't heard back yet but I actually contacted the Petsmart website people and it was on a long weekend so it may take some time:) I'll be patient for a bit yet, but will for sure try her if I don't get any answers in the near future. I'll be sure to post everything I find out, when I do!

It's not the end of the world if it's too high in phosphorus, I'll just keep looking for more foods for my diabetic/CKD kitty. They're so hard to find, especially in my small town, even online in Canada is hard to find certain ones that I'd like to try and most want you to buy a case (which is ok if she'll eat it) and/or pay a gigantic shipping cost that isn't reasonable on a budget. Or they just flat out won't ship here for most of the ones out of the US that I've tried.

Hopefully I can get some more info on additional low carb ones so it can at least help anyone on the site who is interested in trying this food for diabetic cats, to add to the wonderful sheet you did up. It's cheaper on pricing so it'd be nice to add into the mix of foods fed :D

12. rvontrapp

rvontrapp Member

Hey Rachel,

Have you had any luck getting any additional info on the Grreat Choice foods? Just wondering! :smile:

13. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

No, I'm still waiting:( Petsmart said their quality assurance people would get it to me "when available". I did contact the lady whose information you gave me, she got back to me to ask which flavors I was most interested in to narrow it down. I picked the lower carb ones from your list and she said she'd let me know as soon as she could track the info down...I'll for sure post when I find anything out :D

14. carrieannn

carrieannn New Member

Hi, I'm in Canada too, and my guy also has kidney issues, so I am very interested to know the phosphorus content of Grreat Choice. Thanks for looking into it

15. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Sorry guys, I contacted her last week and they are "still gathering data".... Hopefully soon I will have something to post:)

EDIT: June 11, 2013 I still have no answers...emailed again to "remind" her...

16. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

I know this is an older post but did anyone every get the info for great choice cat food. It is not on Dr. Lisa's site.

17. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

I would like to find out too. My kitty is tired of Fancy Feast and loves variety

18. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

I have been compiling several lists for foods specific to Canada so this may not apply, but I will tell you that I contacted PetSmart 4 times and they flatly refused to give me the As Fed data for any of their foods. They said it was top secret, or some such other bunk. I flatly refuse to feed it.

That said, I know that this may be a Canadian supplier/manufacturer issue. I saw another post recently where the data (not substantiated by me but from a good source) said that Special Kitty food from Walmart was easy on the budget and carb-friendly. The Canadian Special Kitty varieties contain wheat gluten and other carbs, so are inappropriate.

You might try 9Lives - JohnZ did a fantastic updated chart you can find HERE. Friskies Pates are also a good choice.

19. janeta

janeta New Member

I know this is an old thread, but since I am also looking for this information I felt it necessary to share my experience....

My 5y cat went into acute renal failure 5 days ago; his BUN and Ct were off the charts, but everything else was WNL. Aggressive fluid therapy brought the levels down, monitored by daily bloodwork for 3 days, then bloodwork every 48h. In one of those 48h periods I gave him a can of Grreat Choice, and on his next bloodwork his phosphorous jumped up from a nice normal 6.1 to 9.8, while his BUN and Ct continued to decline. I cannot say beyond any shadow of a doubt that it was the food, but I've never fed it before and it makes no sense for phosphorous to increase while everything else is declining or already normal. We will see what the next 48h results yield...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.