since one month - Humuline 30 user

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mihaelamiha, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mihaelamiha

mihaelamiha Member

Thank you all for helping me during this process!

My 13th year old cat Statica was diagnose with diabet in 2012 and after a medicamentation zone, since September we switch to insuline. After 4 1/2 months, we are on OTJ!

1. Humuline 30 - we use, as my vet did not recomended Lantus; reading your post I was sceptic to administrate Humuline 30, but finally we succed to remitance.

2. Food - is what I have learned from you, wet food with low carbs, it realy make the difference. Now my cat is switched on this type of food and he will remain.

3. Regulated - I learned (read first) that is better to stay regulated - arround 200 BG than 100 - 300 BG. My cat stayed in a 100 - 300 BG period for a couple of months and when I reduce the dose, keeping him in 170 - 200 BG, he remitted. It is possible to regulate, even on a rush insuline like Humuline 30, by administrating small dose - 0.5 ui (probably 0.25 ui will work).

PS. How should I test him from now on?

You make a difference with this forum, a lot of support for cats in need!

Mihaela

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Is posible even on Humuline 30, thanks to your help!

Fantastic Michaela! What good news. It is good for others to hear that you got him OTJ with Humulin, as there are certainly places and people for whom it is the only alternative. The food probably really helped (and yes, he is a diet controlled diabetic so he needs to always eat low carb) and consistent monitoring means you can adapt to changing patterns.

Congrats to you both and please share your story with people who have to use Humulin. We have so few people who use it, and especially who succeed with it!

3. mihaelamiha

mihaelamiha Member

Thank you Sue and Oliver, you are a part of my succes.
    We are so happy!

Mihaela : dancing_cat

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Absolutely brilliant news! Well done, Mihaela and Statica!
    :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

From what I've read here folks test daily for a while, then weekly, then monthly. But I've not had a cat go OTJ so I'm not sure...

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

So on low carb diet and no insulin, he is between 170 - 200 now.

You will want to be alert as that is borderline. If he has dental infection or bladder infection, the glucose may go up again.

Non-diabetic cats run about 40-120.

Google Translate version in Romanian:

Таким образом, по низким содержанием углеводов и инсулина нет, он находится в пределах 170 - 200 сейчас. Вы хотите, чтобы быть готовым, что и является пограничным. Если у него есть стоматологические инфекции или инфекции мочевого пузыря, глюкоза может пойти снова.

Номера для диабетической кошки бегают 40-120.

6. mihaelamiha

mihaelamiha Member

Hi
    He is 70-90 with no insuline for 2 weeks from now .
    Acctualy we come from vet and my cat will have a dental in 2 weeks and probably a teeth extraction. I home he will be fine.

Mihaela

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Those were the kind of numbers I needed to see! He's definitely diet-controlled. Great job!.

The dental will help keep them low like that. Many of us have been nervous about the dental and the cats have been fine. You will need to know how late he can eat the night before. He may be very wobbly from the anesthetic when you pick him up. He may need help to the litterbox if he is. And several small meals when he gets home - the anesthetic can upset the stomach.

8. mihaelamiha

mihaelamiha Member

Hi BJM,

Thank you for your post.
    In 2 weeks, the cat will be at one month since he do not need insuline.
    I am a little stress by the dental. The vet said that probably will be a low anesthetic, I think to request a local one, just for the extraction. My cat is steady calm at vet usually when test blod, ecography or other investigation. I hope we will choose what is best for him.
    Meantime, I think to try to use a mounth water special for cats, for oral hygiene.

I will take also my litterbox with us to vet, just in case.

Thanks,
    Mihaela

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have never heard of use of local anesthesia for a tooth extraction. A general anesthesia is required since extractions are complicated.

10. mihaelamiha

mihaelamiha Member

Hi Larry,

I have no ideea if a local anesthesia could be done, I just imagine what will be less invasive for the cat. Any ideea is welcome.

Thank you,
    Mihaela

11. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Cats should be under anaesthesia, with IV fluids, sedative before going under and pain meds when awaking. Seriously, I cannot imagine this happening under local.

12. Elizabeth and Bertie

When my cat, Bertie, had to have an emergency procedure a few months ago, I asked the vet about light/low anaesthesia. He told me that deep anaesthesia was actually safer, because it's easier to monitor the cat's vital signs (heart, respiration, oxygen level etc).

Mihaela - please let us know the exact date of the dental, and we'll all be here wishing Statica well for a swift recovery!

Best wishes,

Eliz

13. mihaelamiha

mihaelamiha Member

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for your post.
    The dental is planned on 15th of March, to be far from the remittence. I will keep you post on this issue.
    Did someone tried Platinum products for dental care? It seams to have harmless ingredients and good benefits for teeth and gums.
    http://www.platinum.com/index.php/en/pl ... -care.html

Thank you,
    Mihaela

14. mihaelamiha

mihaelamiha Member

It has been a month since OTJ and we are doing great.
    Dental postpone for 22 or 29 March because of personal issue.
    Just to keep you update and in touch.

Best regards,
    Mihaela

15. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Mihaela,

I'm glad Statica is doing so well. Keeping fingers crossed here that the dental goes smoothly too.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.