Help from Lantus users! To give shot or not to give shot??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marvin, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Member

Hi everyone,

I just did a PMPS test on my cat Marvin and he measured at 9.1 (his AMPS was 16.3, +3 was 10.2 and +9 was 6.7). Should I give his usual 1 unit of Lantus or hold? I'm afraid of a hypo situation :(

Thanks!
    Carolyn

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Re: Help from Lantus users! To give shot or not to give shot

you just joined 2 days ago right? does that mean kitty was just diagnosed? i'm leaning towards if the answers are yes and yes, that you possibly skip or delay the shot a little bit but get a few opinions before deciding.

some other things to know to help with advice given:

1. is your schedule flexible tomorrow? like if you shoot an hour late tonight, can you shoot an hour late tomorrow morning? or half an hour later? if your schedule is flexible, you could delay the shot. if it's not, skipping becomes the better option.

2. are you going to be home the rest of the night? and could you test several more times tonight if you do go ahead and shoot?

if by chance you just joined and kitty was diagnosed a while ago, that changes the questions that need to be asked

3. Marvin

Marvin Member

Thanks Cindy + Mousie! I did just join 2 days ago. Marvin was diagnosed in May but we've been struggling to get his diabetes under control for quite some time. We started at 0.5 U and progressively increased to 2, which I just decreased to 1 U yesterday. I also took everyone's advice and cut out the dry food that we were giving as a treat and already his numbers have dropped in one day (they were going as high as 17-20)! I am leaning towards to holding on the shot tonight and in fact, thinking that I should decrease his dose to 0.5 U as I think the diet change is going to make a pretty significant difference.

4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I am assuming that those numbers are canadian or other international which means I multiply them by 18 .
    I'm on Lantus too.
    I would either skip the shot or reduce it, probably to . 25 .

I had the same situation earlier this week and I knew I couldn't be around the next day. You can see it in my spreadsheet. The next dosage after that
    i reduced to .75 to be cautious.

I skipped the shot and in hindsite I didn't think about depeting the shed. I should have just reduced the dose but it was the first time and not knowing
    how my cat is trending yet, it was the right thing to do.

Always be safe rather than sorry.

5. Marvin

Marvin Member

Thanks Rhiannon! I decided to hold the shot for tonight. You are right - better safe than sorry! Hope Shadow is doing well :)

6. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Could you set up a spreadsheet and enter the data that you have? The instructions are here, along with other good info for newbies. That will give everyone quick access to Marvin's data and help you make better decisions.
    Liz

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, on the Lantus board, with a new member, we encourage shooting numbers that are above 150. (On the Health board, 200 is used as the cut off.) You might find this post on how to handle low pre-shot numbers helpful.

You might want to take a look at the starred, sticky notes on the Lantus board. While you're not new to this entire process, the information may be helpful. Here's an overview of the contents of the notes along with links:
    • Tight Regulation Protocol: This sticky contains the dosing protocol that we use here. There are also links to the more formal versions -- the Tilly Protocol developed by the counterpart of this group in Germany and the Queensland/Rand protocol developed by Jacqui Rand, DVM and published in one of the top vet journals.
    • New to the Group: Everything you wanted to know about this forum and more. Info on our slang, FAQs, links to sites on feline nutrition and to food charts containing carb counts, how to do a curve and the components to look for, important aspects of diabetes such as ketones, DKA, and neuropathy, and most important, info on hypoglycemia.
    • Handling Lantus: how to get the maximum use from your insulin and what to not do with it!
    • Lantus depot/shed: This is an important concept for understanding how Lantus works.
    • Lantus & Levemir: Shooting & Handling Low Numbers: What data you need in order to be able to work toward remission or tight regulation as well as information if you have a low pre-shot number or a drop into low numbers during the cycle.

8. Marvin

Marvin Member

Thanks Liz! Here is Marvin's SS: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... TVJZ1hyMnc

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Carolyn

9. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello.

I'm not one of the experts but since you just started and you have changed foods.
    I think you should stay with the .5 for the next 3 days so you can see the effect.
    You already have had a nice drop. That's the diet change. And the spike upward was the no dose. You might want to note to yourself
    where you gave food because that can be reflected in the numbers. 2 hrs to 2 1/2 hrs after eating elevates the bg and then it decreases.

It's wonderful to have these spreadsheets but after last night losing internet connections, we should all be keeping a notebook with our
    numbers in it. Power outages, internet dysfunction can really make you feel alone when you need advise.

You will also want to print the instructions for what to do in a hypo situation.
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887
    It's better to be prepared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.