Glucose Meters: Consumer Report Ratings/Spreadsheet [10/11]

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pixiegirls & Boy, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixiegirls & Boy

pixiegirls & Boy Member

With glucose meters being heavily discussed and compared recently, I had been looking for a simple comparison list to use, but could not find anything that was very useful. I did, however, find the Consumer Reports Review/Rating of Glucose Meters [October/2011]. With the Consumer Reports data, I created a spreadsheet that FDMB members can view on google.docs.

The spreadsheet has been left so that it may be edited and updated. Two additional columns were also added for specific use of this board. One column will note whether the particular glucose monitor is "recommended by FDMB" [based on performance or other information] as well as a comment/note/known issues column. The spreadsheet can either be copied for personal comparisons or just used as a resource. If the FDMB members who were coordinating any glucose meter data/surveys could edit and update the "reccommended" column and/or comments with any information that members should know, that would be great.

I hope this helps out with determining which type/brand of glucose monitor to get.....sometimes it just seems like information overload, lol. :?

***CR BG Meter Ratings/Spreadsheet

2. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Re: Glucose Meters: Consumer Report Ratings/Spreadsheet [10

OK, this former Philly girl (who misses her flyers season tickets badly) has to ask:
    do you have a link to the spreadsheet?

3. pixiegirls & Boy

pixiegirls & Boy Member

It's right above....."CR BG Meter Ratings". I will rename it. If for some reason that doesn't direct link you, the url is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sQ1E#gid=0.

I love the Flyers to death.....just not thrilled about the game tuesday night. Awesome....season tickets. That would be too fun.... but the seat/season ticket prices are so ridiculous. Still an Eagles fan?

4. doombuggy

Cripes, I didn't even notice the pink thing was a link. It was early and I had to fast for my blood test (they sure took alot too!)
    I forgot about the game tuesday night (MustLoveCats, a new member and friend of mine had called to tell he her cat was just dx'd with FD). I can see it on our cable, but unless I know it's going to be on, I forget about it. The only sports they talk about here is the orlando Magic. :roll:
    So you guessed I am not a basketball fan. Fottball is ok, but I like baseball better, and hockey the best. My dad started taking me to games the first year the Flyers won the SC. I started sharing season tickets in the 1991-92 season. A friend I worked with had them and started selling games since she couldn't afford to go to all of them. At the height, I was probably going to 15-20 games a year. When I moved down here in 2004, no more games. I have gone a couple of times when I have come home, and have seen them play in Tampa, but with the price of gas, that just isn't happening anymore. We are getting a minor leage team here this fall, so I am hoping my BFF moves back down here so we can catch some hockey here in FL.

I have 5 jerseys and some other collectibles, including a Rod Brind'Amour hockey stick of his that is still at my dad's because we could not figure out how to get it down here (car was pretty full when we drove down with my cat). I went on 2 of the Flyers cruises (1986 & 1987) that were with several team mebers on Cunard Lines. having my step-mom being a reginal SM with them and good freinds with the community director at the Flyers home office helped. :D Oh the stories...

PS: my dad has artwork in the Yellow Springs art show if you are heading over there - look for the typewriter painting.... ;-)

5. pixiegirls & Boy

pixiegirls & Boy Member

rofl....it's easy to miss stuff....I do it all the time. [​IMG] I did rename the link and made it larger.

Tuesday nights game was just such a disappointment! My facebook page was non-stop with comments from friends who live around here or still fans. Hopefully they'll come back and kick some Devil butt. I was online and watching the game Tuesday....and did see MustLoveCats

Honestly, I don't know too many people anymore that are basketball fans.....especially Sixer's fans. The Phillies have really built up a much larger fan base in the past 5 years or more, and always seem to do well. Flyer's fans have always just been die hard Flyer's fans.....no matter what. Then you have those sucky Eagles. What a worthless team! [Dallas Cowboy fan myself]. Even the Eagles can't hold onto their fan base.

OMG.....I am so jealous now that you watched the Broad Street Bullies in the best years the team ever had......that must have been awesome! I think I was about 11 or 12 (I recently found a pic of me at that age wearing my favorite/only Flyers teeshirt.....the old style logo, lol) when they won the 1st cup. My sister and I could only listen to the games on the radio (only 4 channels....3, 6, 10, and 12). [​IMG]

I think I have been to one (maybe 2) Flyers games in my entire life....and seats were in the nosebleed section.....and even those were outrageously expensive. That's great that you were a fan early in life, but that you were able to see some of the best groups and individual hockey players battle it out. What I would have given to see the BBB....at the SC....unforgettable. I still watch some of the old "best of" hockey fights with Shultzy, MacLeish, Barber, Dupont and Clarke (without teeth). The game has gotten soft....lol.

I can only imagine the stories you have! The cruises must have been a lot of fun. I had always wanted to at least get to the Flyer's Wives Carnival, but never got the chance. Nice to have friends in the higher places and they can help you out, lol. The jerseys and Brind'Amour (loved him too) stick are probably worth some bucks. Wow! I suppose you could have the stick shipped, but would take it to a mailing place to have them wrap it securely....bubble wrap, steel box, lol. I do have a Lindros jersey though and one "knock off" I guess [needed something to wear to the bar]. Did you ever hang out at the bar in snj that some of the guys would go to?

I have never been to the Yellow Springs Art show, but would love to. I have been on their website to view artist's exhibits. Are any of his paintings shown on there too? I know some people have galleries online. Pretty Cool! :cool:

**Forgot to ask....where did live in/around Philly? How old were you when you were going to the games during their SC span?

6. doombuggy

When my dad took me (only a couple of times in the 70's) they were limited view 2nd level. Part of the package with the trip was you go a pair of ticket to a game. The one year my step mom left the tickets for everyone on the plane. :lol: I was just in my photobucket account as I thought I had the group pic from 1986 but it's on my FB page not in photobucket. It was Zezel, Tocket, Brown, Carson, and 2 others that I just can't think of at the moment, plus Gene Hart and EJ Maguire (who I got to catch some prospects at Penn State when I was there, their coach was so happy). in 1987 it was Prop, McCrimmon, Zezel, Danualt (I can't spell JJ's name), and 2 others I can't remember, plus Gene. We celebrated his borthday that year. For christmas 1989 I had asked for tickets to a Flyers/Caps game, which my dad got for me, plus 4 other games. A couple of years later I was going quite a bit.

my parents moved to philly in 1967. We lived in various parts of the city (Mt Airy, Germantown, Center City, Chestnut Hill). Dad lives in Chester County, mom has moved back to wilkes-barre recently.
    I have gone skating at their practice arean, but never hung out in NJ. On occassion I have run in to some of them and they remember me, mostly because of Dale. Pete was always sweet, so sad about his death - Brad McCrimmon's too - tragic.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When I open the link, it says it is in your trash - perhaps you need to edit your post with the link?

8. pixiegirls & Boy

pixiegirls & Boy Member

Thanks. I fixed the link so it should work now.

9. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Re: Glucose Meters: Updated 2012 report

On Oct 8, I posted the latest Consumer Reports ratings of glucometers on this forum and also in the Health Links forum. You can find the pdf file here:

http://felinediabetes.com/glucometersNov12.pdf Be patient; it can take a few seconds to load the pdf.

Best,
    Rebecca

10. bagheerathediabeticcat

bagheerathediabeticcat Member

How does the AlphaTrak 2 compare to these? Is it more accurate, less accurate, about the same?

I have to tell you that the Up and Up looks very attractive based on costs. Alpha Trak testing strips cost about a buck a pop!

That's a lot of money that my human could spend on other things for me!

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There is a different reference range for cats an an AlphaTrak vs a human glucometer.

for an Alpha Trak ,low = 80
    for a human meter, low = 50

The difference between the two becomes greater as the numbers get higher, so you don't add 30 to the human glucometer readings. You use the different reference values. We're most concerned about low numbers, because of the risks from hypoglycemia, and thats where you want it the most accurate.

ALL meters are allowed to be within 20% of the "true" value, per the FDA.

50 -> 40 - 60
    100 -> 80 - 120
    200 -> 160 - 240
    300 -> 240 - 360

Two tests may be considered equivalent if the +/- 20% ranges overlap each other.

Note how that range widens as the number increases. You won't change what you do when its high, though. You'll see where it is on the insulin protocol and follow the guidelines accordingly.

12. bagheerathediabeticcat

Now my little feline brain is confused again. You are saying that the Alpha Trak only goes down to 80? The LO value doesn't show up until, well, I'm dead, with a blood sugar reading below 40. So if a human meter goes all the way down to 50, then that's still okay, right?

The other concern my human has is how little blood the AlphaTrak needs. It only needs 0.3 pl, which is tiny. Some of the human meters seem to require more. It doesn't save any money if he has to use two or three strips. Plus it will make me feel worse because I will have to be restrained for longer until he can get enough blood.

13. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

No what it is saying is that anything under 80 on the Alphatrak is a cause for concern and there is a possiblity of the cat going into hypo

But on a human meter since they read lower the dangerous area for hypo isn't until you see a 50

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Most human meter gooes down to 20. Below that they read "Lo". I think the AT also go to 20.
    What:
    for an Alpha Trak ,low = 80
    for a human meter, low = 50
    means is that if a human meter reads less than 50 or a the AT reads less that 80 that is really too for a cat's BG to go.

15. bagheerathediabeticcat

Thank you! Happy meows and head bonks to all of you for being helpful.

My human and I agree that there is a very striking similarity between the Freestyle Light and the AlphaTrak 2. The only difference appears to be the color of the plastic. The human one is black, and the feline one is purple. And they're made by the same company, Abbott.

But there is a HUGE difference between the price of the testing strips. The human one costs about $0.60 per strip. The feline one costs about a $1 a strip.

Hmmmm....maybe my human is going to make a switch when the batch of AlphaTrak testing strips is gone!

16. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

The ReliOn Micro from Walmart also requires only .3pl and you can get a box of 100 strips for about $36.

17. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The Freestyle meters have been proven with numbers from many a cat.... the butterfly strip technology gives false readings on the cats.

Go ahead and use the Freestyle but you will not get true readings on your cat's BG numbers at the higher end of the scale.

18. bagheerathediabeticcat

Uh oh. My human was going to order one of these. So you are saying he shouldn't?

Here is something on the topic from the Cat Doctor

Pet Glucose Meters or Human Glucose Meters?

19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The Arkray Glucocard 01 and its Micro version, available at ADW (shopping partner link above) use small droplets, and have the advantage of being the exact same thing as the WalMart ReliOn Confirm and Confirm Micro if you need supplies in the middle of the night.

The FDA permits the sale of glucometers as long as they read +/- 20% of the true lab value.
    100 -> 80 to 120 (spans 40)
    300 -> 240 to 360 (spans 120)
    See how the span of likely result widens as the number goes higher? That doesn't matter because you do the same thing at 300 as you would at 400 - look for ways to get the number down. At low numbers, the span is narrower, which is good, because we start treating for hypo/dives when the number gets down to or below 50, especially if it is early after the shot.

There are reference numbers for using a human glucometer with a cat (ex don't shoot below 200 when just starting out, below 40 is hypo territory). Think of it as the difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures. The numbers look different, but they aren't.

20. bagheerathediabeticcat

Okay, so let me make sure my feline head has this down right. At the levels where the discrepancy becomes significant, it really doesn't matter. What's the difference between a 320 and 480? Not much. The cat has way too much glucose in his blood stream.

However, on the downside, if 40 is hypoglycemia and needs to be corrected just like that, a reading of 50 is dangerous.

So basically what you are saying is that using the Freestyle meter may not give my human a good reading at the high levels (say around 300) but it doesn't matter for dosing and tracking, because anything above 200 is really higher than we want. So if it's 240, 300, 360, it doesn't matter. My blood sugar is too high.

Now here is another question. I have read that some people have used the Freestyle strips with the AlphaTrak and they give around the same readings. Worth trying?

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You've got it. High is high and we have time to correct it. Low is immediately dangerous and needs intervention quickly to protect life. We need low numbers to be the most acurate. If the test doesn't read as high as the cat is, you may think you are making progress when you aren't. I believe that was part of the issue with 'Tru...' meters.

What is the cost differential for the strips? You could try comparing a few tests with the same blood drop collected on a non-absorbent surface (ex a clean fingernail) to examine the variance.

22. bagheerathediabeticcat

It's a big difference. The Freestyle strips are $0.60 a strip. The AlphaTrak 2 ones are $1 a strip.

My human doesn't mind spending money to take care of me, but that's a big difference.

Especially with the testing you want him to do. He is going to probably start me back up once we are done moving. The stress of the move, with things going out of here, has probably wreaked havoc on my blood sugar levels!

23. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

My bean sez she gitz da Contour strips offa Ebay fur 31 centz eech on a gud day.
    Baloo the Bearcat Brat

24. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I was wondering how you guys have been doing. I've been checking up on your spreadsheet and saw that you've been getting in a few more tests each day. :thumbup Impressive! Especially if you're moving on top of it all! :lol:

The ReliOn Micro/Confirm (takes .3pl) is ~$0.36 a strip and the ReliOn Prime (takes .6pl) is ~$0.18 a strip.

25. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Just thought I would chip in, I used the freestyle lite meter for about 6 months. Everything seemed ok, Tiggy was blue and green and yellow at the worst. But he kept losing weight and peeing a lot. Then someone told me on this forum about the problem with that meter. Since I live in Canada I can't get the relion which is really cheap and reliable and many people use that brand here.:(

So I bought a bayer contour USB and used both meters for a while. It was pretty clear that the freestyle was inaccurate at anything over 200 .. It was flattening the results so when the contour read 300, it would read 200. Or when the contour read 200, so did the freestyle. So I was missing bounces and spikes and had no real feel for what was going on. I was getting an inaccurate picture.

I would strongly recommend you look into another meter. I also get the contour strips on eBay at $40 for 100 which is less than half the price from a Canadian pharmacy.

Wendy

26. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

Lara & Luciole (Lu) Member

Wendy&Tiggy, since I live in Canada too, and am about to buy my first meter, could you recommend one? Many thanks!

27. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

For sure - You can get a free bayer contour USB meter and 25 strips if you go to http://www.bayerdiabetes.ca/BDoffer and use code "BDS 11-14" And then if you register the meter when it arrives, you get a free USB wall charger. Its a reliable meter.

This offer was in the flyer comes inside the BD ultra fine 3/10cc syringes you get in Walmart Canada. I used a similar one six months ago and it worked great so bayer seem to run it a lot.

The strips are expensive in stores $75 for 100 in Shoppers for example but you can get them for half that price on eBay. But of course if you get them in shoppers you can get points! I havent found a good meter that has strips cheaper than that - they all seem to be about the same price.

Wendy

28. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

Thanks so much! I will send away for one, but I am wondering if there is something I can buy in stores, as I will be giving Sam his first insulin injection at the vet's on Thursday. I guess I can probably buy this one at the drug store.

29. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

30. Lara & Luciole (Lu)

Thank you, I will!

31. bagheerathediabeticcat

Just wanted to let you know that my human got the Freestyle strips yesterday. He did some side by side comparisons.

First, he checked to see if the testing solution would read accurately. He used three or four, and they all came in within the proper readings.

Then, he checked my blood last night. The readings were pretty much the same. The readings were within two points of each other, with one coming in at 93 and one at 95.

That was too low to mess with, so he didn't dose per the vet's directions.

So he knew my blood sugar levels were going to spike. And this morning, they did. The Freestyle came in a shade below 400 and the AlphaTrak came in at a shade below 500.

The difference there, while it may be huge, doesn't really mean anything when it comes to my dosing levels. And since they only need to be accurate to 20 percent, that means the Freestyle strip reading was between 320 and 480, and the AlphaTrak was between 400 and 600.

So what my human wants to see is some readings in the 200s and 100s on the AlphaTrak so that he can compare the two readings and see if they're within say 10 percent of each other. Then he will feel comfortable using the Freestyle strips.

My human hasn't had a chance to update my spreadsheet in a few days. The day of the move, I didn't get any insulin in the evening because I went hiding under the bed and didn't come out until my human was already asleep. But now Jacey and I like the new place. We both wait on the bed patiently for our human to come join us at night and we sleep next to him.

32. bagheerathediabeticcat

Here are the breakdowns of the blood sugar readings of the AlphaTrak2 versus the Freestyle strips. All tests were done within one minute of each other, so my blood sugar didn't spike or drop that quickly. The AlphaTrak2 number is first

3/18 @ 6:56 PM: 97/93
    3/19 @7:08 AM: 483/382
    3/19 @6:51 PM: 282/270
    3/20 @12:09 AM: 325/308

There is a consistent bias to the downside when using the Freestyle strips in the AlphaTrak 2 meter. However, the important thing is that it wouldn't affect my dosing. Even at the highest level of discrepancy, the dosing would be the same.

My human will do this for the rest of the week to see what's going on. If the difference between the two strips doesn't affect my dosing, he's planning on sticking with the cheaper Freestyle strips.

33. essoh

essoh New Member

I've reviewed the updated Consumer Reports reviews. I'm a newbie and torn between the Up & Up, ReliOn and the TrueResult.. Target is less than a mile from home, Wal-Mart is at least 10.

Has anyone used the TrueResult? ADW has a link where you can get 200 strips and free meter for $60 (+ $3.95 shipping), and also sells 100 strips for $30.. seems like a good deal and easy to use. BUT... the Up & Up and ReliOn I could go buy now and not have to wait for delivery.

The thought of sticking Jynx frightens me right now and reading all the different methods, which meter to get, how often to test, have tissues to stop the blood.. etc. is becoming overwhelming. This is very hard as he is currently in the Emergency Pet Hospital with hypoglycemia. I'm not trying to go cheap on him, but it is starting to cost more than I have right now and need to economize the best I can.. :cry:

34. bagheerathediabeticcat

My human is using the Arkray on me, and that's the same as the Relion only you get it from ADW instead of Walmart. My human doesn't like Walmart and he won't shop there. So he was very happy to find that Arkray at ADW.

He likes that it requires so little blood. He has found that this is really important. When he sticks my ear, he wants to do it one time and one time only, and the requirement of so little blood really helps with that.

He also likes that the testing strips are pretty inexpensive. With the tight testing regimen requiring so many tests, he really likes that.

35. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Many people have complained about the accuracy of "True" and "Freestyle" meters, so I would stay away from those just to be on the safe side. I personally use a ReliOn Prime - $15 for the meter and $18 for a 100 strips. I was considering buying an Up and Up the other day when I was at Target as another backup, but they wanted $25 just for the meter. :roll: Another consideration is that Target is not open 24 hours, whereas many Walmarts are (in case you run out of strips at 2 am when they're running low numbers nailbite_smile ).

Don't worry! We're here to help you! We've all been in similar circumstances and that's how we found our way here to this board. :YMHUG: I promise you: it gets easier and we've got you covered on anything you need, whether it's a free testing kit (click on the link at the top of the board) or other supplies or instructions on how to home test or even just moral support.

It might be easier (and less overwhelming) if you started your own "Newbie Post" in the Main Feline Health Board and introduce yourself, your cat, and your unique situation to us. :D

36. essoh

essoh New Member

One more quick question (ok.. 2):
    I read earlier but now cannot find (should have bookmarked it!), what size lancets should be used, especially for just starting. Next question, do you need to adjust the number on the reading from a human glucometer? I thought I read somewhere to add 30?

I am going out right after work to pick one up and want to be sure I get all the supplies I need.

37. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Use 26-27 gauge lancets when starting

Do NOT adjust the human glucometer numbers. The reference ranges we use are based on the numbers the human glucometer actually shows.
    <40 = HYPO
    50 = lowest nadir you want to have in a new diabetic; if seen before nadir, follow directions for handling low numbers
    >240 = exceeds renal threshold; glucose spilling from blood into urine

38. Lunarstruck

Lunarstruck Member

I am absolutely way more confused now on how to read a human meter than I was before I read all these posts. I'm going out right now to buy a new Relion Micro or Confirm - HELP!

SUSAN/Toney

39. Lunarstruck

Lunarstruck Member

Okay, I got the ReliOn Micro but will have to try it tomorrow as the b/f went to sleep early and I need help. I also got Clark's Nutrition's B-12 Sublingual Liquid, which is Methylcobalamin 1000mcg per 25 drops and has only other ingredients listed as: Vegetable Glycerin, deionized water, Raspberry and Berry Natural Flavors, Citric Acid. I have no idea how much sugar is in this as it doesn't state and they didn't have any tablets or any other kinds without toxic Xylitol or sugars. Do you think this is okay to use now or should I wait until Monday to find out the sugar content? Thank you guys all SO MUCH for being here, I don't know what I'd do without you!

SUSAN/Toney
    RIverside, CA

40. Ozzy'sMom

Ozzy'sMom New Member

So you can accurately check a cat's blood-glucose with a human meter??

41. Re: Glucose Meters: Consumer Report Ratings/Spreadsheet [10

Absolutely.

42. Becky and Toby

Becky and Toby Member

I just want to throw it out there that I compared a Codefree to an Alphatrak at the vets today and got 27.5 and 29.2 (mmol) respectively.

43. Emilyskor

Emilyskor Member

Does anyone have an experience working with the Relion-Prime? I think its a newer version from Relion. I currently use the Reli-On Micro and really like it, however I noticed the Reli-On Prime test strips are much less expensive, which I like... Anyone use it before?

44. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I've been using the ReliOn Prime for about a year now. I also have the Micro as my backup meter. The biggest difference I noticed between the two (besides the size of blood drop required) is that the Prime seems to have a wider range within the +/-20% variance than the Micro. For example, say that Mikey's BG is 240. The Micro will give me a number around 225-275 whereas the Prime might give me a number between 210 and 280. Doesn't really make any difference since he's still over 200. The lower the numbers, however, the less wide the discrepancy is. So, a 150 on the Prime is fairly close to accurate and the Micro might show a 140 or a 160.

I've also noticed that the Prime seems to be more accurate at lower numbers than the Micro. There have been a few times when Mikey is in the 40s on the Prime but the Micro reports back he's in the 30s. Since I also test Henry, my non-diabetic, I know the Prime is more accurate because Henry will read with the Micro in the 30s on occasion as well.

45. Margaret

Margaret Member

I'd just like to say that I'm using the ReliOn Micro test meter and love it!

I had tried the free OneTouch UltraMini given to me, but ended up in tears and frustration and nearly gave up on BG testing. It took too big of a blood drop, shut off too quickly while I was fumbling with my lancet and squeezing out a precious drop, gave too many error messages, and the strips are crazy-expensive.

Now, with the ReliOn Micro, I feel like I've got this testing business down pretty well. I've only had one wasted strip due to an error message, and the strips are cheap enough I don't cringe each time I use one. The blood drop it requires is very tiny.

I'm also using the ReliOn lancet tool with 26 gauge alternate site lancets, dialed to the highest (deepest puncture) setting. My cat doesn't seem to notice it much. One ear bleeds better than the other, and it's key to poke on the upper outside edge of the ear.

Margaret

46. prairiecat

prairiecat New Member

Thank you Margaret for the info on the ReliOn Micro test meter. I am looking to purchase one for my sugar baby but was unsure what to get. Must begin home testing in order to get true readings.

Prairiecat

47. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link on Glucometer Notes to better understand how they work number-wise.

48. Obie

Obie Member

Ok, My Doc/Vet diagnosed me with Diabetes Mellitus.
    I am on lantus (1) unit twice a day
    Acarbose 1/2 pill twice a day (Carbohydrate absorption inhibitor)
    and am only eating Royal Canin Diabetic Formula.
    I am 10-12 years old and weighed 21-2 lbs at my heaviest and am now down to 15.5 lbs.
    I am about 20 " in length , so I am a pretty big boy. (This is starting to sound like weird hook-up add) :p
    Anyhoo.. Enough about me.
    My question is about the glucose reader.
    My Vet sent me home with a Alphatrak Blood Glucose Monitoring system starter kit that they sell for 175$
    It uses the butterfly strips and seems to be made exclusively for Animals.
    I can find the same meter for roughly 120$ with shipping , but will have to wait 3-6 days tops to get it.
    My vet rents me one for 25$ a day. This weekend is free.
    After reading the post here, I am wondering if I need that Meter? $175 seems outrageous to me, but my human would spend it because he loves me.
    Anyways, My first at home test was 452 , my second test 348, and this morning it's 445. I was originally tested at the vet at 535.
    Also, I had a buddy of mine (Slash) knock some sun chips off the kitchen counter when my human was outside in the garden. I tore them up!!
    I'm sure that wasn't that good for me.
    Anyways. That is my dilemma. Do I pay 175 for this device from my vet made exclusively for non-humans, Or are the Meters above good enough?
    Also, any advice on finding the vein in my ears would be helpful to pass on to my blind-assed human.
    Have a restful day
    Obie

49. Obie

Obie Member

Kit includes:
    AlphaTRAK 2 Meter
    AlphaTRAK 2 Test Strips 25ct
    Lancing Device
    AlphaTRAK Lancets 30ct
    AlphaTRAK Control Solution
    Instructional DVD
    Diabetes Diary
    User's Guide
    Carrying Case

50. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The Alpha_rak test strips are exorbitant at about $1 each. Testing 3-4 times a day for a month adds up to $90-120 or so.

The WalMart Relion Prime test strips are 50 for around $10 or so. Used with cat specific reference numbers, there is no need for the pricey AlphaTrak.

Human meters are roughly 30-40% lower than pet meters. Keep in mind the +/- 20% meter variability which can happen, too.

[False assumption removed by Moderator]

Comparing a human glucometer to a pet-specific glucometer is like reading temperature in Celsius vs Fahrenheit. Both are correct. You just need to know the reference ranges to interpret what the numbers mean.

[Glucose reference ranges are unsubstantiated and have been removed by Moderator]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​
    Examples of using the chart:

Ex. You are a new insulin user and you test your cat before giving insulin. The test is 300. It probably is safe to give insulin.

Ex. You are an established user of Lantus, following the Tight Regulation protocol. You've tested around +5 to +7 to spot the nadir. It is 200 mg/dL. You probably need to increase the dose, following the instructions for the protocol.

Ex. Your cat is acting funny. The eyes are a bit dilated. You are concerned and test the glucose. The number is 35 mg/dL. ACK! The cat may be in a hypoglycemic state. You quickly follow the HYPO protocol linked in the glucose reference values chart. (which we really, really, suggest you print out and post on your refrigerator.)

51. prairiecat

prairiecat New Member

Re: Glucose Meters: WOW, is this confusing to a newbie

WOW, this gets confusing. The Alpha Trak is unaffordable in IMHO. But, I am really confused about the numbers and how reliable they are using a human glucometer. I see the chart illustrations BJM posted and I do understand them. Are these available elsewhere? Is there something to download to have on hand? When I read that human meters are [moderator removed incorrect information] and the there is a +/- 20% meter variability I really question how reliable the numbers are. I am an RN so I believe I should understand this better than I do at present, or at least have a better grip on the information. :? Maybe I am just overthinking it all. For now I will reference the info that BJM posted (thank you BJM) and see how I get along. Any advice? I am new to this. My baby was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and we are presently using prozinc 2x daily. I must begin home testing and get him regulated!

52. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Google Docs will let you save the file to your Google account or to your PC, in a variety of formats.

These meters are considered good enough for human home monitoring per the FDA.

You look for trends, not specific digits, and use 1 meter so you get the knack of working with it.

Also, you can use the Secondary Monitoring Tools in my signature link. Dehydration checks, behavior, etc, round out your assessment of how your diabetic is doing. And, if you are testing and getting good numbers, while seeing out of normal behaviors or symptoms, remember that more than 1 thing can be wrong at a time. You've probably detected a few things as a nurse when something just wasn't right.

53. prairiecat

prairiecat New Member

Thank you so much! I bought the Reli on prime and we tested today at nadir for the first time. My little guy never eveb flinched. The process was a breeze. BG was 45. I was pretty happy with that as we have only been at this for 3 weeks and at the vet his numbers were terribly high and he was very stressed. Will test again today and begin looking for trends. Behavior back to normal and polydipsia and polyuria have ceased. Now in a quandry as what to do as I must be gone for 48 hours later in the week. Any suggestions? Would one injection a day be better than none if I can arrange it? I can board him if absolutely necessary, but he is sooo unhappy there and he is 16 yrs old. But, he looks wonderful!

Attached Files:

54. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When was that glucose test taken with respect to the insulin shot?
    A bg of 45 earns a reduction of 0.25 units in most cases.

Got a spreadsheet?

55. prairiecat

prairiecat New Member

The 45 was at nadir and he is on pro zinc. (Will switch to Lantus but for now want to stick with what we started with and maybe get this regulated.) Now at 12 hr time for next dose I get a 77. He has been hungrier today than usual. Think I will cut that .25 this dose and see what we get next. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

56. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Do not give insulin at 77!

What is your current dose? For new members, we recommend to not give a shot on numbers under 200, but to stall and see if the number is "rising." With a depot insulin (like Lantus or Levemir), once you have more experience and you know how your cat reacts, you might shoot low pre-shots like that 77, but with ProZinc, you do NOT want to do this. Here is the ProZinc Protocol that should help explain better how ProZinc works.

57. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

NO SHOT ... TOO LOW

If below 200, please refrain from giving ProZinc, for safety.

58. prairiecat

prairiecat New Member

Question! At 13 hours post injection we are at 85. I will wait and recheck. He has had his supper. I also decreased last dose .25. Spreadsheet in the process.

59. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

NO SHOT ... TOO LOW

If below 200, please refrain from giving ProZinc, for safety.

Come over to the ProZinc forum to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.