CAUTION about Freestyle Lite Meter or Strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eva & Butters, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Hi, Everyone ~

This topic has come up before, but I wanted to bring it up again. Some members are finding that their Freestyle Lite meters are testing much lower than their vets' meters or lab results. This seems to stem from changes made to strips about a year ago, so maybe you all aren't experiencing problems with your Freestyle Lite meters.

From PZI:

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61043

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60926

From Health:

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60279&p=655565&hilit=freestyle lite#p655565

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57719&p=628778&hilit=freestyle lite#p628778
    Re: Help w/data collection - serum vs ear poke plasma-calibr
    by Lisa dvm » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:53 pm

skybar22 wrote:
    I was going to share this with you Dr Lisa and thought it might be good to share this here with all. I took Morgaine to the vet on 3/16 as she had been sick and her Lab was 283, Vet's Alpha Trak was 247 and my Free Style Freedom was 140. Due to that variance I stopped using the FS and several others in the LL community found the same thing, much lower readings on the FS. We all thought our cats had much better control. I went ahead and did a comparison of 4 meters on myself for a few days and manipulated my BG since i am a type 1. The FS was consistently off well beyond the 20% variance. I know this is a little OT but I thought it relevant for this discussion. I have my data on the comparisons if you want it.

Not OT at all. In fact, good timing.

I was just working with a client who was using a Freedom Freestyle Lite and the cat's BGs were NOT in line with his clinical signs! Too low to match what the cat was showing.

Client compared the FFL with an Alphatrak and a Relion - the FFL was 100 points lower than the AT. The Relion was ~30 points lower than the AT which is acceptable.

From Lantus TR:

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56781&p=615952&hilit=freestyle lite#p615952

If you're concerned that your Freestyle Lite meter is testing low, you might want to take it in to your vet's office to compare your results to your vet's meter or to lab results. You might even want to consider having a Fructosamine test done to see how well regulated your cat is.

I feel terrible because I just recently donated a Freestyle Lite meter with strips given to me by a diabetic friend who I'd told about our newbie kits. Gosh, I hope it's okay!

Eva

2. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

I know we have been talking about this on PZI since a few of us there have used the FSL meters. Are there posts in the other insulin groups? I just put a note on the FDMB Facebook page too.
    Want everyone to know about this!

3. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Hi, Donna ~

I'm SO sorry you've experienced this stupid meter problem with your sweet Asher! How disheartening when you think you're making real progress with your dear kitty, Donna, to find out that your meter could be so far off. I HATE that for you and Asher. I hope you'll notify Abbott of your extremely low meter readings, Donna. Just don't tell them it's for a cat because then they'll probably respond by saying their meters aren't approved for cats. And I think posting on Facebook's a great idea too!

There have been quite a few postings on the Lantus TR board about the Freestyle Lite meters testing low:
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/search.php?keywords=freestyle lite low&fid[0]=9

I know you'll get Asher back on track very soon, but still I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this at all.

Sending you some BIG hugs,
    Eva

4. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

Thank you Eva for posting this here

5. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Yes Eva, thank you so much! We will get Asher back on track. It’s just heartbreaking that it effects many of us.

6. Amanda

Amanda Member

I just checked Kazi and the Freestyle Lite read 203, Relion Confirm: 206. Higher numbers would mean a greater chance for variance...so 3pts difference is pretty good. I matched up several times with them last year when I bought the Relion and they gave very close readings then as well. I've seen enough people bring it up now that I do think there is something up but I haven't seen it myself! :?:

7. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

I considered buying a Freestyle Lite but I heard about these problems and went with something else. Too bad b/c it doesn't require a lot of blood and is pretty small. I'm sorry for everyone who's had problems with it. :(

OT: FDMB has a Facebook page? Link please? :)

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

9. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Good Morning, Everyone ~

Donna and Dmartini, you and your sweet kitties, Asher and Shakespeare, have been in my thoughts this morning. With your love, care, and devotion, I know you'll have your dear cats back on track very soon. I'm just sad and angry with you that this had to happen. I wonder what kind of quality control Abbott has in place to test their Freestyle meter strips?

Please don't throw away your Freestyle Lite meters and strips (unless you already have...which is probably what I would have done :-x ). Instead, please report your problem to Abbott so other feline and human diabetics can be spared the awful setbacks you've experienced with your kitties.

Looks as though Abbott has had a problem with Freestyle Lite strips testing low before:
    http://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/a...S/general_content/General_Content_0000418.htm

I really hope you'll report any problems you're having with your Freestyle Lite meter and/or strips to Abbott.

From Abbott web site: http://www.abbott.com/global/url/co...Content_00138.htm#customer-resources-by-topic
    Product Complaints:
    Abbott Diabetes Care
    (888) 522-5226 Available 24 hours, 7 days a week

Eva

P.S. Be sure to report to Abbott that your Freestyle Lite problems are for a human diabetic and not your cat!

10. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a general FB page for FDMB.

Just sayin'. :smile:

11. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

there may be - i don't know.

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I have a Free Style Lite meter with some strips that were expiring in January, so last night I tested the same drop off blood with the Free Style Lite and with my One Touch Ultra

The Free Style Lite read 269
    The One Touch Ultra read 419

That's a 150 point difference.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

14. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

15. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

16. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

I just want to encourage everyone to report to Abbott, number above and/or on the back of your meter. I am a type 1 and have a major complaint going and Abbott is dealing with me on this but the more complaints they get, the more they will take this situation seriously. I test a great deal, on myself and my BGs vary so I have given them much human data. They will not take data if they know it is a cat as they will tell you to use the Alpha Trak. Sad;y, mpost people will not pick up on this since they won't realize how off the meter is unless they become symptomatic. I have had a long talk with a VP at Abbott and he has sent me a different meter, Precision Xtra, and free strips until all gets worked out. So yes, please call them.

17. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Thank you all for posting this! I hadn't tested the new strips against my other meter, only the old strips. That makes me so upset! I thought she was doing so well! Racci is the most precious creature in the world to me. I will do so tonight. Racci is due for a visit to the vet for her fructusomone anyway and I was going to take her this week but time got away from me. I'm going to try to get her in Monday if the dr's avail. I'm superstitious about Friday visits. It seems something always goes wrong on Fridays and she wants her to stay and I won't let her because they are not there all day on weekends. Any time Racci has to stay overnight I have to go in and visit & feed her or she won't eat at all.

I'll let you know and don't worry, I will definitely report it! I have years of numbers in it too! I hate losing all that info! That I haven't been able to copy!!!!!!!! She's due to be tested again in about 45 minutes and get her shot and asthma medicine.

Thanks again for letting me know. Darn! I hate this other meter and only have a few strips left. I just bought new freestyle strips!

Melanie & Racci

I'm OUT of the Contour Strips so can't test my Freestyle!!!!! I changed her dosage and everything! I'm wondering if I should bring her dosage back up now since I just started changing it? How frustrating! The Walmart is too far away for me to use Relion. Any others that can be got easily that are good? How about Walgreen's brand, did anyone try that? Or another one that can be gotten right away from a drug store with strips?

18. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

I started testing my cat with a Freestyle lite, my vet got me to compare tests with his tester on the same blood sample, and it was way under.
    My Freestyle lite read 18.5, his tester said 25. (that's 333 compared to 450). That's a difference of 117. And the difference between 450 and 333 is pretty crucial too. :-x
    I have an AccuCheck now. It seems better but I have to take it to the vet still, he's due back from holidays in three days.

19. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

I use the Contour and order my strips online (through Ebay) and get them for less than half price (just ordered 50 for $16.50! Woot!). Watch the expiration date and that they are unopened. :D

20. dollsinmyeyes

dollsinmyeyes Member

when i was picking out which meter to buy in the drug store- the helpful pharmacist told me she just took a class on the freestyle lite meter, and that the test uses a different enzyme than all of the other glucometers. and so she suggested that i not use that one, and googling while standing in rite aid brought me to the info here, that you all suggest not using this meter!

so i wonder if it is the enzymes.

i wonder what the human error correlation is

21. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

I'll see what Hocks charges for the contour strips since they're usually cheap but I hate this meter. You need much more blood for it and it doesn't seem to sip it up. The Walgreens True2Go sounds good but the strips are outrageous and you probably can only get them from Walgreens. What a drag. Going shopping online now.

TTYL,
    Melanie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.