Newbie Question on Milk

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tonya and Tiki, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonya and Tiki

Tonya and Tiki Well-Known Member

I am sure this has been addressed somewhere but I can't locate it -

Is milk good or bad for Diabetic Cats?

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Milk has lactose - milk sugar...not good...(am assuming you're talking about cow's milk..)

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Cats are actually born lactose intolerant so its not good for any cat. They do have cat milk subsititutes that might be better. CatSip, and Whiskas Catmilk. Of course, some cats can handle a little cows milk but only a little. As far as diabetics, try some of the catmilk and see if it increases bgs.. ECID, it may or may not.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Whiskas Catmilk is a no-no for diabetics because it contains sugars: Milk, Water, Nonfat Dry Milk, Malt Extract, Trisodium Phosphate, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Guar Gum, Corn Syrup Solids, Lactase, Taurine, Carrageenan, Sodium Caseinate, Mono and Diglycerides, Dextrose

Catsip seems ok: Lowfat milk, lactase enzyme, taurine.

Personally I would find something else to give to a cat for treats :smile: Here's a list of low carb treats: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172 For liquid treats, try simmering raw chicken in plain water until cooked through and then serving the cooking liquid/broth along with some of the chicken. You can freeze the extras (with broth) for later use.

5. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow! Thats a lot of sugar in the Whiskas! Good to know!

6. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Milk is not good, but cream is okay. Get heavy (whipping) cream and dilute with water. Heavy cream has very few carbs and very little lactose.

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Are you sure about this? Because J.D.'s birthday is tomorrow, and I think he would really like some whipping cream.
    He used to get a bowl of milk everyday before going to bed. Now, he only gets a couple sips on very rare occasions.

8. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Yes, per the USDA Food Database, whipping cream has 3.2% of calories from carbs.

9. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Any human on Atkins learns that heavy cream is OK, but a glass of low fat milk is too high in carbs. No wonder that was/is such a popular diet! :lol:

10. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

It's his birthday - he should get a little treat. I always have hot fudge on mine. :lol:

Pattie

11. Tonya and Tiki

Tonya and Tiki Well-Known Member

What about cheese? Is that bad too?

12. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Wiskas. I had ordered a box of 3 from Pet food direct a couple of weeks ago for my new civvie rescue Dallas. He tells cjleo that he's still hungry but gets 9oz of canned food a day - it cound be from being a stray cat. I thought the cat milk would help fill his belly, although he picks food over milk anyday. I have taken care not to give it to him when Cedric can access it, as Cedric has decided he is interested. His BGs (tested about once a week now) are higher than they were before Dallas came in to live with us, but I have been giving Cedric a little more food, so I am hoping that is the reason why his readings are in the 70s intead of the 60s. Still ok though.

13. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Most hard cheese should be fine. Soft cheeses such as cottage cheese, farmer's cheese, ricotta, etc. tend to be higher.

14. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I wonder if kitten milk replacer (KMR or other brand) would help your civie? Kitten milk replacer contains all sorts of sugars and syrup so you'd have to keep it far away from Cedric.

I know some people give thier diabetics a little sprinkle of Parmesean chesse once in awhile as a treat or to make food more appealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.