Ok, I'm focused again, BG attemps were so close!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PebsNMunchsReagan, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Here was my post from this morning, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44712 I'm creating a new topic because I really want to just focus on BG testing. Thank you to those who offered support. I've saved the resource from BJM

Slight update first though, we are scheduled to go get xrays tomorrow with the expectation that they aren't needed actually. About 2 hours after my last post she stopped limping, she actually jumped from a table to a chair & I can see her becoming herself again. The discussion with the vet was that he truly believed she just had a sever bruise. We agreed to give her another day on the pain meds, carefully watched, before making her go back into the office. (It really is traumatic for her). Anyway, if she improves more over the next 10 hours I'm likely to hold off on the xrays/bloodwork unless I see set backs. Then I can call and come in immediately. Thank you to those who offered support.

Anyway, we were able to attempt a bg test tonight. (Such an improvement!) We got all set up, I warmed her ear, massaged a little, put some neosporin on, lanced, got enough blood, was waiting for results and got a strip error... Boo! Second and third attempts (same ear, opposite ear) couldn't get anywhere near the amount of blood needed. Same with the 4th attempt four hours later.

So I have a couple questions. I'm not sure what caused the issue with the strip, could the neosporin interfere? Her poor little ears are bruised in four spots now, what's my best option for tomorrow? (I'm hoping for a full day of testing to get a curve done).
    TIA!

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

As for the Neosporin, just put the smallest amount on, then wipe 99-percent of it off.

You just want the hair on the ear to look greasy, but there should be no visible amount
    of the stuff.

When preparing your meter, just put the strip in far enough so it holds, not so far
    that the meter 'turns on'. Lay it down or against something so it is held upright
    and the strip does not fall out

Do your pokie, and when you have enough blood, then quickly reach over with you 'free' hand
    and push the strip in (turns meter on). Pick up meter and get the blood on the strip.

Your meter may be timing out if you are loading the strip too soon.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The neosporin can interfere if you put too much on. You just want a tiny amount to lightly smear on. Try the meter on yourself to make sure it is working correctly before you poke the cat. :mrgreen: Be sure to give a treat (for both of you), successful or not.

If you put a flashlight behind her ear, you should be able to see the bruises and the areas to avoid. Pick somewhere else to poke. And this time, hold the ear for a couple seconds after you get the sample - that helps minimize bruising.

It sounds like you were very prepared and almost there. Don't give up - it will work!

I am so glad she is feeling better this morning.

4. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

We did it! Our first try this morning. 177 amps.

Also she is running around, jumping from locations, not limping, allows me to pick her up and lovey again.

Off to give 1U of Lantus. I'm so happy I might cry.
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Hurray! Welcome to the Vampire club. Doesn't it feel great to know just where she is before you give the insulin?

6. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Hi Ladies,
    I believe the strip error was actually a combo of too long in the meter and I had an insane amount of Neo on her ear yesterday. I will make sure to apply pressure from here on out to help with the bruising!
    I was so relieved to be able to know what she is at. Besides monitoring her, it will greatly help me verify, or disprove, that I don't believe she should be on 2 U BID (Lantus).
    I now feel everything is manageable!
    Thank you everyone. I'll be doing a spreadsheet to get everyones opinions on dosage/numbers. And just guidance in general. Maybe she can one day be OTJ although her vet highly doubted it.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

7. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

WOOHOO!!!!

With a 177 preshot, I'm gonna bet you are not only going to disprove your vet that she doesn't need to be on 2u bid, your going to prove him wrong about her going OTJ. Maxwell was 485 when he was dxed, his vet didn't think he would ever come off insulin either, which is why his family surrendered him to be pts before I adopted him. After about 2 weeks on lantus and a change in diet to a low carb high protein canned diet he was OTJ and just celebrated his 6 month anniversary of being so. Not every cat is that lucky but a whole of them are.

Mel, Maxwell, and The Fur Gang

8. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Fantastic job! Congratulations!

9. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

So here was our first day. We had less hit than misses, but it's a start.
    AMPS 177, +1 159, +3 172, +4 171, PMPS 176 all other times we didn't get enough blood even after multiple tries or strip errors.
    I'm not sure how to add my SS, but I can work on that later.

10. Lesley & Cheekyface

Lesley & Cheekyface Member

You're doing great :D

I agree the s/s is a PITA until you finally get it running and then it's a breeze.

Cheekychops was in DKA when she was diagnosed, and one vet is saying 'she may never be cured'--but I managed to catch the knack of home-testing in time to see her go from high red to blue within 2 days, just on a change of diet and some antibiotics to clear her systems.

I wonder if she won't surprise them, just like your girl. Hang in there!!

I've found it incredibly helpful to be able to just email the s/s link to my vet. It also gives me focus.

It doesn't take long really.

Well done again :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.