New, and a request for contacts

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kyidyl, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyidyl

kyidyl New Member

Hello. :) My name is Kristina, and my cat Marius was diagnosed with diabetes today.

I am sure that these types of posts are common, but I didn't really know where else to look or who else to ask (I will ask the vet, but I haven't had a chance to yet. I just found out today.).

I understand what treatment entails, and the cost of starting (as most of you probably already know), is about a grand. A little less. I'm losing my job at the end of this month. Paying for this would take a chunk of my savings, and I don't have a new job yet. In addition, I travel a lot and am going to college (archeology, which ideally requires travel usually.). I'm an adult, so I don't live at home, and so I'd have to stop travelling and stay home with him all the time. In short...I can't take care of him anymore without re-arranging my entire life and possibly having it effect school. I love Marius, but I don't know if I'm prepared to alter my life so drastically. It's more complicated than this in terms of money...I was planning on taking a bucket-list type two month long trip this summer and drive across the country (which I know sounds strange, but I'd get a chunk of money from severance and such and if you aren't going to be paying rent --my lease is up at the end of may --, it's a lot easier to make unemployment and savings cover something like that), but obviously that can't happen if I keep him. The person that would have watched him if he was healthy won't do it if she has to give him injections, monitor his glucose, etc.

Obviously, the idea of just putting him to sleep kills me, but I can't really take care of him...

My question is, does anyone know of a no-kill shelter that would take a sick cat? Someplace that would help me re-home him (I live in eastern Maryland)? He's the sweetest cat I've ever known (he loves everyone, even other cats.), I've had him for almost 9 years, but I can't completely alter my life for him and I...I don't really know what to do. Any advice? Information? Thanks in advance...

2. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Whoa, $1000 for start up of treatment?!? What on earth is your vet having you do?!?! With home monitoring instead of vet glucose checks, start up costs are a bottle of insulin, a box of needles, a glucose meter, and a box of strips.

I completely understand about not being able to switch your life around. Not everyone can do it. As far as your two month trip - some kitties actually do well in car trips if you can acclimate them to it. There are plenty of hotels that are pet friendly. Some people here go camping and RVing with their kittos. I know it doesn't work with every cat, but it is worth a thought :D

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

As Kelly said, it does not cost $1000 for start up. If your vet is charging you that much, you are being overcharged.

It's been a while since I have had to have a fructosomine test done on a cat to diagnose diabetes so I am not sure of the cost. But here are average costs for everything else:

1) Insulin - between $120 - $200 The more expensive price is for Lantus or Levemir pens are cartridges. I highly recommend spending the extra money since you get 5 in the box and that is almost enough insulin for a year. If you buy it by the vial, you will have to replace it about every 2 months and spend another $120 each time.
    2) Meter and testing supplies. If you buy the generic brand such as Walmart's Relion brand meter it is $9 for the meter, $39 for 100 strips and $5 for the lancets. Name brand meters cost more, especially for the strips. The Relion meters are very good meters and inexpensive to use.
    3) Syringes - between $15 - $25 for a box of 100. Again, generic brand are cheaper and work just as well as the name brand.
    4) Prescription food - $0. Don't waste your money on it. Most of us feed either canned Fancy Feast or Friskies.
    5) Lots of love - PRICELESS!!!! :mrgreen:

So in addition to the diagnostic test, your startup cost should be less than $300 and the supplies will last almost 2 months.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

As you have seen, we are inclined to want to help you help your cat stay with you in his home. We would be very happy to help you do that.

As far as your request for a no kill shelter, the hard truth is that diabetic cats are rarely adopted or even fostered. There are just too many healthy kitties waiting for a home for people to be willing to take one that will need a little care.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Ask your little buddy if he would like to join you on the road. There are folks here who take their kitties on camping trips etc.

I order most of my supplies from www.hocks.com (link above)

The syringes run $17.49 per 100
    Lancets cost $1.49 per 100
    Test strips for Maxima Infinity meter cost approx $16.50 per 50 or $33 per 100

so... 2 syringes per day = $0.35
    4 tests /lancets.........= $1.40 (some people only test 2x per day after a while) If you test at home, you don't need to visit the vet all the time and pay for his services.

Food - don't need to get prescription food -- just need grain-free canned food - low carbohydrate content (Check Janet & Binky's Food Charts for carb content - google)

instead of vials, get the 5-pack of 3ml cartridges -- lasts longer because the vial will go bad before you use it up.

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

8. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Welcome Kristina and Marius,

I'm going to come at this a little differently, since I have a diabetic cat Maxwell that I did adopt through Venita. Max was in lousey shape when I got him, he was a walking skeleton from not having his diabetes treated, his blood sugar was 485 when he was diagnoised and he general felt lousy. His previous owner had fallen ill and placed in a nursing home, so she couldn't care for him, and the family didn't want to be bothered to treat him, so he was scheduled to be euthanized. Venita and Claudia stepped in once they got the okay from me that I would take him, and Claudia sprung him from death row, she started him on Lantus for about a week while we set up transportation from Mass. to Nebr. (which is where I am). She also changed his diet from dry food to low carb/high protein canned food. Within 2 weeks (1 week with Claudia, and 1 week with me) Maxwell was completely off insulin, he was gaining weight again, and was basically just another cat in my household.

Now when Maxwell came to us, both my husband and I were unemployed, thankfully my husband is now back to work but we know that winters will always be lean as he is a roofer and we can just about figure that we are going to have at least 3 months every year of living on unemployment. We also have 10 other cats besides Maxwell, and a large (75lbs) dog. But we survive, yeah we don't go out to the movies or out to eat as much as we use to, but we do travel and travel alot, since my husband is also a muscian with a classic rock band. When we first got Maxwell we were just prepared for him to go with us as he is our second diabetic cat (my first passed away, but she travelled with us). Now my pet sitter just comes in takes care of the non-diabetic critters and checks on Maxwell, if we are going to be gone longer than a evening. Now Maxwell is in remission so he doesn't require special care, there is a good possibility that with a little extra care for a short period of time that Marius could also go into remission or become diet controlled. If not he could join you on the road, it takes me all of like 5 minutes to test and give insulin (when he was still on it). It takes me longer to do the dishes or decide what to wear than it does to treat a diabetic cat. I'm also a full-time college student, a wife, a mother and a grandmother, my life is busy, but I do not regret one single moment of taking in my precious sugarcat, and if my house wasn't over-flowing with critters at the moment I would do it again in a heart-beat.

My other cats and dog were here first and I love them like my kids, but there is a very special bond that Maxwell and I have because of him being a diabetic. Because of having to slow down my day by just a little bit to make sure he is still in remission and still diet controlled. But he is my most special boy, and I am so delighted to have opened our hearts and home to this wonderful cat. I also realize that caring for a 'special needs' animal isn't for everyone. And with that said if you truly feel that you need to rehome Marius then as others have said contact Venita, not only can she help you find a home for your Marius, should you decide to give it a try and keep him, she also have some resources to help with the initial costs of treating a diabetic cat. Because it should be no where close to a grand to get started. Oh yeah, I adopted Maxwell on October 15th of last year to date he has never physically been seen by my vet, because there has been no need, he came to me up to date on shots, fully vetted, and neutered. I learned to test him at home from these wonderful folks right here, they helped me when he started going off insulin with dosing advice, and taught me what to not only feed him but my entire furry cat gang. Since there are 11 of them everyone eats what Maxwell eats, just good old fashioned Friskies Pate flavors canned food. Even my non-diabetics have benefitted from the change in diet. They are sleek and soft, full of engery and just generally happy kitties.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

9. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

As close as you are to your kitty -- you will find as you treat his diabetes, that you will develop an even closer and more precious bond.

My first diabetic cat, Norton, was diagnosed in June 2006. We treated him, and discovered this wonderful forum. After he passed away from cancer in 2008, we (hubby and our other kitties) missed him very much.

I kept visiting this group here.

After grieving for a while, my DH (dear husband) and I decided to adopt one of the diabetic cats that needed a home. Tiggy was transported from Kentucky to Michigan with Venita's organization talent and the loving people on this forum. This was in FEB 2009, and Tiggy is a much loved member of our family now.

The re-homing process can take months. Tiggy lived in a vet clinic for 6-7 months between the time his mum had to give him up (her work visa expired, and Tiggy would not have survived the several month quarantine for her to take him home), and the time that DH and I decided to adopt him.

10. kyidyl

kyidyl New Member

Dang, I replied today at work and the board ate it, so let's try this again...

First off, thanks to everyone who read and replied. The cost thing was broken down to me as: $150 for a 3-4 month supply of insulin. Bi-weekly vet visits to test glucose to get the dosage right at $160 or so a go. I was estimating two months or so of that...but if I don't need to go to the vet to test him, then the cost is do-able. My friend actually has an unused testing kit he can give me from when his cat Tori was diagnosed (she died from insulin overdose within 3 days of her diagnosis because of bad vet instructions.).

However, that doesn't help me with the bigger problem of my traveling fairly often. I am not sure what to do about that...I don't have someone I can have reliably cat-sit him. I live alone, I don't have an s/o to help me care for him. I'm also going through a huge period of transition: losing job, having to find a new apartment, trying to get into a 4-year school. Marius being diagnosed is one thing too many right now. I can't help but wonder if I'd feel differently if this had happened at a time when I was stable. As it is, I'm not, and this is becoming a last-straw sort of thing for me in the midst of everything else, and I don't really know what I want to do. I feel like I'd be relieved to be able to re-home him if I could, but at the same time I feel like I am a horrible person for having that thought. If that's the direction I go, then I will send a message to Venita, and so I'm grateful for the information.

Mel, I really appreciated you posting your story. It made me think good things.

11. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Glad our story got you thinking good things. :D

I know it all sounds very over-whelming at first, but it is so very easy to do. Heck we have FD kitties here that go camping, sailing, backpacking with their humans. Before I was ever a sugarcat's mom I had another cat named Max and he was my road buddy, he travelled all over the United States with me. I had a car that had a big enough back seat that I would put his carrier in, then slip his litter box on the back floor board and got a couple of those non-slip bowls that are really made for dogs but work great for a traveling cat. I would call ahead and find a pet-friendly motel and off we would go.

I trained him to travel with me by taking him on short trips at first, things like he would go with me when I would run to the grocery store, or I would just load him up and take a drive in the country. Once he got use to the routine, he would get so excited when he would see me packing my bags because he was off to some grand new adventure with his person. Got to tell you, I slept so much better at night in a strange place having my best buddy snuggled up to me and purring. He was a nice warm piece of home to have on the road with me. Now at the time that Max the first traveled with me I also lived alone, and since I was gone sometimes several weeks at a time I couldn't leave him behind, so off we went. He had a little harness and leash that he would wear when we were out on the open road. I even found him a car seat made just for dogs and cats that he could ride in the front seat with me. When we had to fly anywhere I would simply check my luggage and he was my carry-on luggage and would ride in the cabin of the plane with me. I met more great people in airports and on planes just because I had a cat with me..lol. He was a friendly out going kind of guy and loved to travel and meet new people. We travelled like this for over 22 years, until he passed away from old age. I still cherish all the pictures of him and I, I have pictures of him with me out camping in the Rockies, at the Grand Canyon, etc. He was the best road buddy ever!

Some people travel with their dogs, but I think cats make a much better road buddy. First off you don't have to walk them, they don't tend to want to eat you seats when you have to run in to pay for gas, and they don't tend to want to attack someone walking by the vehicle. And if you have to smuggle them into a motel that may not be completely pet-friendly they aren't going to bark in the middle of the night.

Now that we have covered traveling with cats...The cost of treating a FD cat. If you start Marius on insulin and they prescribe Lantus or Levermir, both great insulins for cats..you are looking at about $200 for nearly a year's worth of insulin as long as you have your vet write the script for the pen/cartridges because you get 5 cartridges to a box, and you only open 1 at a time and can use it down to the very last drop in most cases. Since cats usually take a very small dose 1u to 2u a day, sometimes a little more but nothing like a human goes through. So 3ml cartridge lasts a long time. We can usually help out with that cost as well if you keep checking our supply closet, many of us will post extra insulin that we have when either our sugar cat passes away, or goes into remission. You can also check places like Craig's list and see if there are any human diabetics that have extra, like my mom who is a diabetic herself, but she doesn't go through as much insulin as her insurance company sends, so she donates her extra to a couple FD cats here in town. She uses Levermir and so do these kitties.

But the most important part of this whole dance is to get Marius started on insulin, learn to test and then make the judgement on if you need him to have a new home or if he can just hit the road with you. You might find that before you need to travel that he much like my buddy Maxwell, will be in remission and just a normal cat that has to have a special diet. Most pet sitters have no problem coming in to plop down a can of cat food. You can even freeze food so all they have to do is put out a little fresh so he can eat right away and then put out a frozen puck of cat food that he can nibble on through out the day as it defrosts. Or have them fill a timed feeder so he can have several small meals throughout the day. And there is always a chance that through this board you could find someone that lives close enough to you to either suggest a great FD cat sitter or be willing to drop by to check on your buddy.

Give it a shot, who knows it just might not be as big of a deal as you think it is right now when it seems like a mountain. And you woud still have a great little guy that loves you with all his heart. Whichever way you decide to go now that we will help you in whatever way we can.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

12. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

There have been a lot of good suggestions here, but as a person who got laid off in 2009 I thought I would address this part of your post.
    Jobs are not easy to find, especially good ones that can pay the rent. Believe me, it could take months, many months, and that would take a big chunck of your savings right there, just trying to live. The amount of money you get from Unemployment will leave you short. It's about half of what you are used to making. And while you collect, you have to be looking for work and prove it, or you will be denied.
    In short, and I don't mean to offend you in any way, but it is not a vacation. I would advise start putting out resume's now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.