HELP! new injection site - numbers are CRAZY!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dmartini4, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

A week ago my new vet and I decided to change the injection site from the scruff to his side as it has been 4 months are we are unable to regulate Shakespeare.....BUT since I change the site his numbers are CRAZY.
    Here are a few days worth..
    1/16 - today (I am sure he got the shot)
    preshot - 253
    +4 - 291
    +7 - 313

1-13
    preshot - 255
    +5 - 135
    +6 - 124

1/12
    preshot - 275
    +3 - 333

For the most part his numbers are going up a lot instead of going down
    He is on Lantus 2.5
    and it is 1.5 months old.
    Could the insulin be too old?
    (Same diet of FF beef, morning and night, nothing else)

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Shooting into the scruff can slow absorption and doesn't work for all cats (they don't absorb it at all). I shoot just outside of the scruff area and I vary from side to side and around that general area.

What part of the side are you shooting in? I wonder if he is absorbing the insulin a lot faster and so he is rebounding a bit? You have a low day and then a high day, so that is why I am wondering.

Are you sure you are getting it under the skin and not in a muscle? Hopefully others will have betting suggestions to help.

3. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

I had the same feeling because soon after I shoot, his pupils get big, which in him means that his sugars are going up. (took a while to learn that)
    I am shooting on his right side, outside the scruff now.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you post over on the Lantus support group? They all use your insulin and may be able to shed light on your issue.

They will want a spreadsheet so they can see data with patterns. Would you like some help setting one up? If so, just PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.