Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Cheryl & Whiskers (GA) Member

Hello,
    This is my first post. My husband and I have 5 pets. 3 cats that we rescued from shelters.
    Minnie, Misty, and Timmy. Minnie and Misty are our healty cats. When Timmy was rescued
    he was listed as a special needs cat. His card indicated he was blinded in one eye due to an
    injury as a kitten. We thought this wouldn't be a problem. We took him to the state university
    animal hospital, and were told his cause of blindness was actually feline herpes. I was crushed
    for him because we had hoped to be able to resolve his eyesight. The university animal
    optimologist, told us the cats actually do fairly well with this disease. We went home and gave him a good home.
    He developed Feline Urinary Tract Disease a year later and nearly died. He was treated at the animal emergancy clinic in our area, very expensive and overwhelming. He survived and we have since learned that feline urinary tract disease is caused by poor quality dried cat food. We have switch him to wellness no grain canned food, and he is doing well.

The most difficult part of my post is to tell you how we came to provided a home to our
    other 2 pets. My beloved only sister was murdered in December of 2008. She was a single
    mother and her son (who was a senior in high school at the time of her murder), was not
    able to care for himself and their 3 pets so we took in her diabetic cat Whiskers and her pomeranian dog Bandit (who has renal/kidney disease).

We now have 3 special needs pets, the shock and grief of my sisters murder was the most
    horrible thing. Within 4 months Timmy was at the emergancy clinic with his diagnosis of
    feline urinary tract disease. A month later Whiskers was also in the emergency clinic
    also near death. Both survived but the costs have been astrinomical. We have struggled with
    Whiskers diabeties. When she joined our home she was on Humilin N. I was terrified I would
    kill her by giving her an injection of insulin by not getting air bubbles out. That has not happened and we have become proficiant with the injections. In the last couple month Whiskers has
    stopped using the litter box on a regular basis, chosing to go outside the box once often twice a day. We have spent hundreds on Anti Icky Poo. The vet decided to switch her from Humilin N
    to Lantus a couple months ago. In the meantime we took her to an animal chiropractor in hope
    of finding out why she was not using the litter box. The chiropractor said she had a mass on one of
    her rear hocks, back to the university animal medical hospital many tears after the suggestion she may have cancer, after surgery only to find out it was an old injury. My dad paid for the surgery
    because our finances had already been very strained by pet bills. Back to our local vet only
    to have Whiskers diagnosed with 2 urinary tract infections within the last 6 weeks. prescribed oral antibotics the first time along with pain meds. Given an antibotic injection the second time, and
    also diagnosed with pancreatitis. Also given anti nausea injection for the pancreatitis, she had not
    eaten in 24hours. Knew enough not to give insulin when she was not eating. The vet suggested
    meat based baby food, to entice her to eat and it worked. She is back to eating regulary and on
    1.5 units of lantus insulin twice daily with food. Still urinating outside the litter box once or twice daily. I am hoping we will not have another health crises anytime soon, as we can't afford it and
    are emotionally unprepared. We are in the process of switching from canned Wellness to raw
    whole food diet. We are doing everything we can to try and get this cat well and regulate her
    blood glucose. Did a curve last weekend, and the vet has asked us to do another next weekend.
    Needless to say all the vet visits and invasive proceedures including glucose curves really stresses
    whiskers out and doesn't help the situation at all. I have thoroughly read all the info on catinfo.org
    by Lisa A. Pierson DVM, and applied every little bit of advise and info I can. As you can tell we are overwelmed by our numerous pet health crisis and I can't even begin to tell what murder does to
    a family, there isn't enough time or space.

I would really appreciate any advice, suggestions, help and information anyone has.

Thanks so much.

Cheryl and my Husband Jan and our pets Minnie, Misty, Timmy, Whiskers and Bandit

2. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Ihave two thoughts.Animals do pick up on our emotions and can stressed out by negative events like we do.I have eleven cats and I have two that will go outside the litter box if stressed.You could try adding another litter box in a quiet area.There is also a product called feliway that is based on natural chemicals that calm cats.it comes in a diffuser,spray and a collar.In households with multiple cats sometimes another cat will ambush the less dominant one at the litter box.

They have special diets for cats who have reoccuring urine infections.I am sure your vet would be glad to sell you some but another reader can probably suggest a less expensive alternative.

When a trauma happens it stresses people and pets both physically and psychologically.It also makes both animals and people prone to getting illnesses.I am sure you are also still grieving and having to deal with all of this.

I hope this helps.Some other readers can give you more input later unless some other fellow night owls are up.

3. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hello Jan,

What a wonderful person you are providing a home to so many pets.
    I do have 5 litter boxes, 3 on the lower level, one on the main floor and one one the upper
    lever. 2 are the extra large kind made from storage containers suggested by Dr. Lisa Pierson
    on her web site catinfo.org, and they have helped. It seems when Whiskers is sick or stressed
    she does urinate outside the box more, and I am aware it can happen when the blood glucose is
    not regulated correctly. We do have the feliway spray, I haven't used it lately so I will try it again.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I am going to try to get some sleep now, my husband and I work afternoons and I am up to to late tonight. I will check the posts on this site again tomorrow.

Cheryl

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Wow, you and your family have been through so much. I am very sorry. Two years ago a childhood friend of mine was murdered, it's not the same as what your family is enduring, but I do feel for you.

The best way to help your FD (feline diabetic) besides the change in food is to hometest. It's also the safest way because while switching food your cats BG (blood glucose number) will come down naturally. You will also save money and stress by doing at home and not going to the vet.

Lori (and Tom) can send you a "newbie kit" which has a glucose monitor and test strips to start you off.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19528
    You could also go to a pharmacy and pick one up, if you have a Walmart nearby, the Relion meter is affordable and test strips are a good price.

Lantus insulin is great, but you may want to learn about ways to best handle the insulin, for instance, no need to mix the insulin (shake vial), store it in the fridge, not on the fridge door - less shaking. Read the posts that start with "STICKY" on this page from the lantus forum:
    viewforum.php?f=9

Looking forward to learning more about you and your furries.

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

In spite of what you have seen on TV, this is not an issue with giving insulin. Any air bubbles are very
    tiny, and you are not injecting directly into a vein or artery.

Relax on this one.

6. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks so much, I have requested the newbie kit as you suggested. I also asked if they could
    send me ketone strips, I have not personally checked yet for ketones but the vet has and did
    not find ketones at that time.
    We are new to lantus (about 6-8weeks) and I will certainly check out the post link for sticky
    that you have provided.

Thanks again,

Cheryl

7. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Karen,

I do still worry about the air bubbles and am always checking the syringe. Thanks for letting
    me know I can relax as I'm not directly injecting into a vein or artery. I did not know that.

Thanks again,

Cheryl

I'm already getting so much helpful information from the wonderful people from FDMD, it
    is so helpful

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The lantus group will want to have a record of your recent bg readings and curves. We have a wonderful tool- a color coded spreadsheet that is a great help in finding patterns. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207. If you want help with it, just ask.

9. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Sue,

I will make a record of BG and Curves as soon as I can, and use the tool spreadsheet you
    recommend.

Thanks

I'm sorry you lost Olive, he was beautiful

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Great. You really will like it. Just send me a message if you need help.

The pic is our new shelter kitty, Niko. Oliver was a beautiful Maine Coon.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

kit went off this morning...should arrive by saturday latest. altho' with christmas maddness it may take an additional day. keto'strips included.

12. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Sue,

I will send you a msg if I need help.

Oliver was a maine coon. One of our other cats Timmy,is a main coon what a beautiful breed.

13. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi tuckers mom,

Oh my gosh, I am not very proficient with insulin or syringes. I just read the first post on "STICKY"
    and found I've been doing a couple of major things wrong. I shake the vial of Lantus (previously
    thought I was supposed to) also squirting excess insuline back into vial. Obviously I will discontinue
    these practices immediatly. The Lantus insulin is so expenseive, do I have to go get a new vial?
    It's definatly not in our budget this month. Christmas isn't even in our budget with all the pet expenses. :YMSIGH:
    It also amazes me that pet parents aren't provided any type of intoduction on the major issues like human diabetis are.

14. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

One thing you can do to save money is to purchase your Lantus in cartridges/pens instead
    of in a 10ml vial.

Each cartridge has 3ml of insulin (300 units). A 10ml vial contains 1000 units and it
    will poop out before you can use it all, thus tossing a bunch out.

You open one cartridge at a time, and many here use it to the last drop....big savings.

You need to get your vet to write a prescription for Lantus cartridges. You purchase them
    5 at a time (they come in a box of 5 cartridges). It is more expensive to purchase but
    cheaper in the long run because 5 cartridges should last you at least 5 months.

You still use regular insulin syringes to get the insulin out of the cartridge. Through the
    little rubber thingie under the cap/

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It probably will be okay as long as it isn't cloudy or has particles in it. In the other stickies, you'll find that pens are recommended rather than vials. They last longer and it is cheaper in the long run.

We ask ourselves those questions constantly. The only answer I have come up with is that it is the rare pet parent that wants to learn more and test at home. Sadly, many owners put their cats to sleep when they get the diagnosis. I do wonder if, for the majority of their patients who agree to give insulin, it is just a short time before the cat dies. The owner has given insulin shots and the expected outcome has happened - no guilt needed. Some vets of members here are astonished to see cats come back with bright eyes and coats, spreadsheets full of data, on a tiny amount of insulin and headed for regulation.

16. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

My diabtic cat Nomad literally found me last October. I feed ferals in my neighborhood and he showed up one day. He had been someone's pet before because he was neutered and declawed.he was persistent and I finally took him to the ER vet based on his symptoms. I figured he was either diabetic, hyperthroidism or chronic renal failure. I could deal with the first two dx. So when they told me he was diabetic I was happy because I knew it was treatable. Unfortunately he also had Diabetic Ketoacidosis.However. Since I am a human health care provider I knew several of my patients had survived DKA.I had a debate with the vet about why I did not want to put him to sleep and then threatened to bring him to another 24 hour animal hospital.He is still with me and watching me type this now.
    My long rambling story does have a point. I think there is an inner strength and faith we all have that we can all tap into I hope you get the strength you need to deal with this crisis. You will certainly have much supprt in this forum!

Well wishes and purrs :)

17. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Thanks everyone so much! I have learned so much just today, that I did not know.
    I will definatly get the pens/cartridges next time. Thanks to Sue and Karen.
    What does everyone think about the expiration of a vial once it has been
    opened for 30days? Should it than be discarded?
    Also Sue (my sister's name was Sue, I miss her so much) I find it amazing that
    someone would put down their pet before finding out how to treat a condition.
    I spoke to one of my co-workers who told me she had put down her dog when
    it was diagnosed with diabetis because it had given her 10 good years. She told
    me I may have to put down my sisters cat whiskers. I was so angry. I could never
    do that, she is one of the last living links I have left to my sister. I was also horrified
    that she did that to her dog. I didn't say anything to her, what can you say.

Jan's example in the previous post, shows what a gift you can be to another living creature.

18. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

People have different ideas about what level of responsibility we owe our pets...we had a recent discussion with a family member who PTS their cat after diagnosis of diabetes...honestly, it was probably best as I don't think they would have been able to really commit to what would have been required :sad:

Lantus seems to vary in how long it lasts for people; 30 days for some, longer for others.

I'm really sorry about the financial burden this has placed; I hope that we can help you with the mechanics of treatment so things are easier that way at least.

Jen

19. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Yes I think you are right.

I am going to do a glucose curve this weekend see how the BG numbers look. I will also try to
    complete the tool- a color coded spreadsheet that is a great help in finding patterns. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207. Does anyone know if my veterinary reciepts will have the information needed to complete the spreadsheet, or will I need to get more complete records from my vet for it.

Thanks

20. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

If you paid for bg tests, the results should be on your receipt. Mine are. I guess that not all receipts are the same, but it is information that you have paid for so it should be given to you - similar to copies of lab tests.
    (edited for spelling)

21. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

You've already got some great help here, I just wanted to say welcome! The people around here are not only knowledgeable about feline diabetes and how to manage it within budget constraints, but also offer a lot a much needed emotional support for the caretakers. I think you will find this a wonderful community.

22. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Melanie and Smoky,

Thank you for the welcome. I really need the support.

23. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

lantus group spread sheet

Hi all,

I have started the spread sheet, but am not sure about a few things.
    It did not prompt me to name the SS.
    I did save my BG Data, but don't know how to
    B. Publishing your SS, aka Attaching to signature

1) In a new browser tab, open up your google doc
    2) Click on the tab on the upper right "Share"

can anyone advise how to do this?

Thanks

24. Sue and Oliver (GA)

This does seem to be the stickler for lots of people - publishing. I would be glad to help. Look up in the corner for a new message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.