Simon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alipuffs, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

Simon is a 7.5 year old diabetic cat. He was found as a tiny kitten near dead, abandoned by his feral mother. I have cared for him since. He is a red tiger, loves other cats and is okay with children, He is afraid of dogs. He is taking 2 shots of Humilin a day, 3 units. He is healthy and sweet.

2. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

FD Simon near Philly Needs Foster/Permanent Home

Simon is a 7.5 year old diabetic cat. i am in a potentially bad situation in that my unemployment is probably going to expire unless Congress makes an extension possible very soon. I will lose my home and have no money. Simon may need either a temporary foster home or a permanent home very soon. I am trying everything I know to prevent losing our home but if I can't save it, Simon will need a loving home very shortly. He is very sweet and likes cats and children, Other than the diabetes, he is healthy but he can not meow because of a respiratory infection he had as a kitten. Does anyone know a foster home near Philadelphia, PA where he can stay either until I can find a resolution to this problem or a home for him? I don't want to part with him, but he needs special care and if i am unable to help him, he could die.

3. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Welcome Simon. There are plently of other "sugar" kitties and fur parents here. How long has Simon been Diabetic? I am sure you will have questions and so will other readers for you. My sugar kitty is named Nomad. He literally showed up on my door step last October. I also have other nondiabetic (civie) cats. One is an orange striped male cat named Pumpkin.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Please let us know the insulin Simon is on. The only Humulin available to use every day is N ..BUT....I want to make sure that your vet doesn't have you using R which is only used mainly by vets in DKA situations or as a booster with long term owners. Rare, but there have been people coming on FDMB that are using R insulin only and it is dangerous.

Are you hometesting yet? If not, please consider doing so. It will help you to help Simon. Also, please make sure you feed Simon at least a 1/2 hr. before shooting. N insulin is a fast acting insulin, short duration in most cats, and food needs to be on board.

If he is newly dx'd, you would stand a good chance of remission if you switched to Lantus and canned food only. If you are feeding him any dry at all, please consider all canned food instead BUT DO NOT remove dry food until you are hometesting. You could cause a hypo to happen.

The more info you can pass on to us the more help you can be given.

5. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Re: Diabetic Cats in Need--Sharing Resources

What kind of insulin is he on?

6. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

Not to answer for the OP, but I spoke with her last night before she posted. Simon is currently on Humulin N, 3 U BID, and Purina Cat Chow Dry. She doesn't live far from me so I will be visiting with Simon and her this weekend and showing them how to hometest. I will be taking Lantus (which Simon was on before OP could no longer afford it), diabetic supplies, and some Fancy Feast. Please continue to welcome and encourage her. I have told her what a helpful place this is.

7. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and of course dear Simon.

You are in great company here, there are lots of other extra sweet kitties here, and the people that love them. If we can help you out in any way with darling Simon we will be more than glad to help. Just saw where you will be getting a home visit later with Venita, you are in great hands there! Looking forward to hearing more about you and Simon.

Welcome Again,

Mel, Max and the fur gang.

8. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

This may sound like a dumb question, but I will ask just to help clarify for other readers. When Simon was first posted it seemed like he was just being introduced but it sounds like the owner needs to find a home for him? I guess that is why someone else edited this. If someone hasn't already done so, maybe someone could start a new post " Cat in Philly area needs new home" ASAP?
    I live in Florida and already have eleven cats so I can't take Simon but he sounds like a lovable kitty!

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Simon and his family for the best possible outcome.
    jeanne

10. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I visited with Simon over the weekend. I need to get his video off my camera, but he is a dear 9YO orange boy with an old man face. alipuffs is learning to test (having some of those newbie trouble with little blood), and has switched Simon from dry food to the Fancy Feast Classic food I brought along.

alipuffs's problem is she doesn't want to rehome Simon, but she may be homeless herself by the end of the year if there isn't an extension of the unemployment. She is holding off providing DCIN information for a blog page until she sees what Congress does this week with unemployment.

Simon has the worst mouths I have ever seen. Well, I didn't actually look into it, I just observed the dark brown colored droll coming from it. He needs a dental, and I am hoping people will donate to DCIN for that. It's going to cost around $700.

11. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Well, Congress did extend the unemployment benefits; that's good news for Simon's mombean.

But even with that, $700 is hard to come up with for the dental.

Hope to see a fund-raiser for Simon, soon.

What a good turn of events that you are nearby, Venita.

12. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Iam glad to hear that Simon's owner is willing to work with you.Too often people will just abandon the pet or have it put to sleep.There was one lady who posted about a month ago about her mother having a diabetic cat and already having it scheduled that same day to be put down.There is also another post from someone who has a neighbor with a diabetic cat who is going to do the same.Sounds like Simon will have a better outcome.I don't do facebook but I am mailing a check for seventy dollars tomorrow (I already have your address).If nine other people do the same thing, then you will have your Simon money soon.Merry X-mas Simon !

13. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

Hi, i am Simon's mom and I have been working with Venita to help Simon. He is being tested at home now, on lantus and he is loving and eating his wet food. He was having problems due to his teeth eating the hard food so now he is eating wet food happily. He has been on antibiotics for almost 1 week and the infections have started to clear up. No more black marks or drooling. he feels better now. unfortunately, they have not passed the unemployment extensions and, although they may still do so, i can't wait much longer. He may need a new home very soon. I am really amazed that so many people have responded. I have been looking for help dealing with Simon's diabetes for years and not until now, have I seen anyone who has cared about a little red feral diabetic kitty who can't meow. I am so grateful for the comments of love and concerned we have received. Simon has had a hard time much of his life. His mother left him for dead in West Philadelphia in the backyard of my daughter's friend's house. She ran out and rescued him and brought him to me when he was just 5 weeks old. At that time I was financially capable to get him the help he needed to get well. he has had relapses but recovered with antibiotics. he never was able to meow. He is very quiet. I had him neutered but not declawed. I don't believe any kitty should have their nails torn out. this is their only means of defense. A few years ago, I found out he was diabetic. I have been treating him as best as I can but now he has problems with his teeth and his doctor thinks he needs all of his teeth removed. Thank you very much for the donations to help him get this surgery. Right now, I am in the most difficult financial situation I have ever experienced. This is a wonderful site and you are all special people for loving the kitties of the world.

14. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers for you both. I'm so sorry you are going through this. :(
    jeanne

15. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Simon now has a DCIN Blog page here.

16. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

Thank you for all your words of encouragement. Simon is feeling better each day on his new program. His ears are a bit soar put I am getting better at testing him. he is being patient. Hopefully, things will be looking up next week and congress will do something. I really hate this because I have never had unemployment before and I have not had an extension. I wish I didn't need one. It has been suggested I post looking for a home which I will do next week if nothing happens. I just want him to be okay. He has given me so much over the years. I know you all understand.

17. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I am posting numbers to Simon's spreadsheet here. Alipuffs's computer is too old to navigate Google Docs. DCIN is fundraising for Simon's dental, hoping to raise $700 of the amount needed. DCIN's unrestricted funds will cover the additional cost of the dental, as well as any of the $700 not raised. As I said on DCIN's Facebook page, "Simon is a diabetic cat with tobacco juice for spit." Alipuff tells me that has cleared quite a bit with the antibiotics, but we still need to address the underlying cause.

18. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Apparently, Congress is still fighting over taxes/unemployment.

Thank you so much Jan. I will let you know when I receive it.

Even $5 will help get Simon to the vet for pearly whites.

[​IMG]

Thanks to all who are rooting for Simon's dental!!

19. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Bump. This morning's tally is $225. $475 to go.

20. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

What is the lastest total on Simon? Is he back on lantus yet? C'mon other readers let's get poor Simon to the dentist. :)

21. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

I just sent you some money via paypal.

22. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Thank you so much Kristen!!

The current total is $275. $425 to go.

Simon is on Lantus and according to alipuffs is playing and showing interest in life that he hasn't shown for a year.

He started on Lantus at 1U on 12/5/10. He's had some bouncing as his body settles into the Lantus. His spreadsheet. We are taking a "play it safe" approach in the beginning and not shooting under 150, but as alipuffs gathers more data, she will be able to shoot as lower number. We were expecting to raise his dose to 1.25U after yesterday's mini-curve and today's anticipated mini-curve, but he showed up with a surprisingly low number this morning.

I expect Simon will be settling into a pattern soon and I am really glad that he is showing more energy.

23. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Wow! This looks really promising! I bet with that diet change and a dental, he might be ...... dare I say it?...... broken?

24. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I would love to see Simon broken, and I think it looks promising too. He is having a great reaction to Lantus.

I would like to share something alipuffs just emailed me about Simon. I think many of us here can relate to these sentiments.

cat_pet_icon

25. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Hi my name is Katrina.I am Jan's cat master.Here you like to call people "beanies".Although I sometimes think Jan has beans in her ears when she doesn't obey me, I prefer to call her my servie.I have decided to take matters into my own paws to help raise some money for Simon. Please see my post I am starting in community forum.Shhh....Jan doesn't know about this. Don't let the cat out of the bag. »^^« Katrina

26. sanrun

sanrun Member

I'll send what I can to help out. Sounds like Simon's bean is a tough situation, I hope the extension passes and she can keep her home and Simon.

Sandy - Dottie, Jeter & Tilly

27. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

The unemployment extension/tax bill passed last night. I hope alipuffs finally got some sleep. Next step--her state getting her back on the unemployment payroll in a timely manner.

That is the best news. The next best is that Simon's dental fund is up to $480 with promises of a few more donations.

Yes, Virginia.....

28. sanrun

sanrun Member

Check is in the mail! I live in Indiana, so you should get it in a couple of days.

Sandy Dottie, Jeter & Tilly

29. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Hi this is Katrina checking in. My kitty cyber dating has raised sixty five dollars so far that my person servant will donate. She is so dumb she hasn't figured out what I am doing yet. Simon you are alittle too young for me but I can fix you up with one of the other girl kitties in my household. I need to run so I will check in later. »^^«. Katrina

30. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

It is looking up for Simon since the extension. His home will probably be safe. Just waiting for a letter to see if eligibility is there. Simon is doing so well on his new insulin and we both are so grateful to everyone who has sent their prayers and donations for his dental. I know he will feel even better when that problem gets fixed. Simon is a sweet boy. I feels good to watch him wrestle with his cap nip pillow Venita brought him. He hasn't played in quite some time. I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday. You have all given Simon and myself a wonderful gift of caring. What could be better than that!

31. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Hi simon, this is Katrina. I got you another seventy five dollars for your teeth. One of the other cats in my house ratted me out about my fund raising. I told my person servant she has to send the check by tommorrow or I will pee in her favorite shoes and howl all night long. I hope you and your person servant have a good Christmas. Remember we are theo ones in charge..... Cats rule!! »^^«. Katrina

32. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

. dancing_cat dancing_cat Simon's dental is scheduled for January 10!! dancing_cat dancing_cat​

33. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

34. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

Hi Katrina and everyone who has helped me and my Mom with getting me feeling better. Now our house is safe and I will be going to the dentist in January. I am a little scared but mom says I will feel better. We both hope you all had a wonderful Christmas day. We are now waiting for a snow storm. Mom is going out to get me a bunch a stuff before it gets here. We both are very thankful for all the work you have done. I love all the beautiful photos you are sending me. i am an only kitty and it gets lonely sometimes. It is nice to have so many new friends. Simon

35. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow.. I just read this thread. So glad his home is safe for now, and he has a dental scheduled! Can't wait to read up on his progress! I hope it's nothing like stomatitis going on in his mouth, and just some icky teeth..

36. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

The Vet looked into his mouth during his physical and said she saw some bad teeth but she is going to give h im a blood test to make sure nothing else is wrong. I hope this is all the problem is. i never heard of this other thing. Stomacitis? what is this? I know the problem cleared up with the antibiotics so i hope this is the only problem. Simon is doing well on Lantus. today I only has to give him 3/4 Units tonight. He usually gets 2 shots of 1 unit a day. he seems to feel better but he is not liking me much right now because is hates his ears pricked. I keep telling him it is for his own good and hopefully soon he won't need anymore needle pricks. He has been diabetic since her was just 6 years old.

37. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Stomatitis is a response from the body, attacking the plaque on the teeth basically. My Bandit has it, and even with a full mouth extraction, she still has it, so is on prednisone longterm for it. The vet should be able to tell though by looking in the mouth. Hopefully it's (only) a few bad teeth is all that needs to be taken care of. Stomatitis involves really inflamed gums that can go into the back of the throat. They most likely would have mentioned that if they saw it though. It's not something that they know a lot about yet.

38. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Stomatitis is an inflammation of the mouth lining.If Simon has some bad teeth it may be related to that.In any case,they will be able to do a better evaluation once he is under for the rest of the dental work.Cats usually aren't very cooperative about letting people look inside their mouths while they are awake.

39. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

Thank you for the medical info. I guess I will have to wait until he gets his surgery to find out. He was very sick when my daughter found him as a kitten and his health has been pretty good since he was fixed up until he got diabetes. I noticed the black stuff on his mouth a few months ago and put him on antibiotics and it went away, then it returned. After the last antibiotic treatment, it went away again. I was afraid it was a problem with his liver and it was bile or something. He seems to be feeling better but he really hates all the ear pricking and is very stressed over it. I know it has to be done but he doesn't understand. After january 10th, we will know if it is just some bad teeth. The saliva that turns dark on his little mouth has removed the hair from the bottom under his lip. I tried to clean his little mouth and put vaseline on his lower lip which helped but he was soar and stopped allowing me to clean it. I hope soon this problem will be solved.

40. alipuffs

alipuffs New Member

Just wanted to let everyone know Simon's dental is over and he lost most all of hid teeth. His health is fine otherwise. He had gingivitis. I never knew you had to brush their teeth. He wouldn't let me anyway, but he still has a few teeth in the back and 2 on the bottom jaw. he did well and is home recovering. He has pain meds and antibiotics. He is eating, although not as much yet and down to .5 Us of Lantus. His sugars were 161 this morning. Everything look good so far. he seems not to be in pain and happy to be home. I want to thank everyone for their donations and prayers. Because of all your support, Simon is doing so much better in every way. This site is a wonderful place for kittys. With the help of Venita nad all of you, my Simon has done better than I have seen since he first became diabetic. I have learned so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.