Pls Pray for Harry's Successful Lung Surgery Fri Dec 3

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by chriscleo, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

Harry has a mass in his lung that looks confined to the left cranial lobe. We think it's lung cancer. He's scheduled for surgery sometime after 9:30 am pacific time today to remove the mass.

Abdominal ultrasound last week showed no masses and looked good. Blood and urine tests looked good, too. Hematocrit was 30, which i'm not thrilled about, but internal med vet says he thinks that may be because of the mass. It's a normal number but near the bottom of the normal range. Chest xrays showed asthma and that single mass in the lung. The same surgeon, Dr Mehl, removed Cleo's spleen last year and she did a good job.

Just hoping mass is single mass and confined to that lobe, and nothing scarier or more extensive. I'm actually looking forward to the surgery because I'm one of those people who think your best bet is getting that sucker out. I'll instruct vet that if mass is positioned so Harry has a good chance of not surviving surgery, I'd just as soon not finish surgery and concentrate on giving Harry a great life in the time he has left. But so far based on 3 sets of xrays his chances are looking very good that he'll have a normal life after surgery. He's started making a funny noise like a light groan or grunt (sleepy noise, not painful noise), so things are starting to go on around there that i'm hoping we'll nip in the bud with the surgery.

I really do believe in the power of this board, and hope you'll join me in praying for Harry's successful surgery and complete recovery. He'll be staying there at least overnight and maybe 2 nights if deemed necessary.

[pls no snowflakes/vines--somehow those images scare me re sickness/hurt lungs, and i've just been so emotional since cleo's death oct 31. harry has cleo's coloring and has comforted me so much since i lost my little girl. he's 14.5 years old and is a purebred norwegian forest cat. here is a link to his private photo album: http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc210/edtwo/Cats/Harry/. the password is fdmb06.]

[updated coz surgery was postponed to today pending radiologist okay of CT scan -- updated below in thread]

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Re: Pls Pray for Harry's Successful Lung Surgery Thursday De

((((((Chris))))))

Plenty of prayers and purrs coming from us for a very successful surgery for dear Harry, and a speedy recovery.

We will keep all fingers and paws crossed that he will be back to his old self in time to celebrate Christmas with you.

Love those Wedgies!

Mel, Max and the fur bunch

3. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Prayers to you both; have a speedy recovery Harry.
    Dana

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I will be keeping you and Harry in my thoughts, and praying for a successful outcome on Thursday. (((Chris))).

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

(((Chris))) lots of prayers for a quick and easy surgery, successful outcome and fast healing for dear sweet Harry.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Of course Chris!
    I will be thinking of you and Harry, wishing for a successful surgery and good recovery for Harry.

7. Wendy and Boo (GA)

Wendy and Boo (GA) Member

(((Chris)))

Sending many prayers for you and Harry, and I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts.

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Chris I too believe in the power of prayer. Of course it's in Gods hands but I believe He listens. Continued prayers for your dear Harry.
    jeanne

9. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

You got it..crossing all paws here, and sending successful surgery vibes for sure.
    Wrapping you in cyber hugs ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((CHRIS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

10. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Oh Chris. I will be saying many prayers for Harry that his surgery will be a success and that he has many more happy years with you. This must be so hard. Please give your handsome boy a gentle kiss for me.

11. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

for sure chris

12. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

((((Chris)))) We are hoping and praying for the best for Harry.

13. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

I hope all goes well even surpassing the best you can expect. Will keep you and Harry in my positive thoughts.

14. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Chris)) and ((Harry)) Will be praying for you both and keeping you in my thoughts.

15. chriscleo

thank you, guys. i'm really looking forward to this surgery coz i want that nasty mass out now. just praying harry gets through the operation great with no complications, and that he recovers fully. it's so hard to wait when we know there's a mass in there.
    harry's acting okay if a little scruffy. he is definitely working it and asking for baby food snacks a lot.

guess nobody here's cat has gone through a lung operation before? just wondering what we can expect and what danger signals to watch for afterward. his vet is not good at communicating that kind of stuff.

16. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

not much here, but this site says
    # If your pet undergoes a thoracotomy, hospitalization will be required for at least several days post-operatively. This is a complicated surgery done only at referral hospitals. Careful post-operative monitoring is required. Most animals will have tubes placed in the chest during surgery to drain fluid that may form following the procedure. Tubes also help evacuate air from around the lungs. Your pet will only be sent home when the lung function appears stable.

# Once at home, your pet will need to be carefully monitored for labored breathing or abnormal posture, which may indicate an increased effort to breathe. Animals having difficulty breathing will often extend the head and neck, and hold their front limbs away from the body. They may be reluctant to lie down, as this may increase their respiratory effort.

fingers and paws are crossed here for a successful surgery. we'll keep you guys in our thoughts tomorrow.

17. jt and trouble (GA)

Re: Pls Pray for Harry's Successful Lung Surgery Thurs Dec 2

Keeping Harry and you in my prayers.
    j.

18. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Just wanted to stop by and offer my support and wishes for tomorrow. I hope Harry is having an OK day today.

19. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Been thinking about you guys too. I hope tomorrow's surgery goes wonderfully. Finger and paws crossed here for you!

20. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

Bless Harry

21. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Praying for Harry.

22. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of prayers for Harry coming from me, Chris

23. MommaOfMuse

What time is the surgery tomorrow?....I want to light a special candle for Harry as he goes in, it is my own little good luck supersition. :D

I have a candle shaped like a cat that I have always lit when one of my babies goes under the knife and so far no one has ever had complications. Hope the blessing will extend to Harry.

Mel & Max

24. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Many, many positive thoughts coming your direction. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow; please post as soon as you know anything.

25. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Praying for a very successful surgery tomorrow, and for a complete and quick recovery for Harry.

26. chriscleo

i'm to meet with surgeon at drop off at 9:30am pacific time, then she'll do CT scan and then straight off to surgery if CT view okays it. definitely appreciate your thinking of harry then. he is a very loving, social little boykitty. gonna be hard not having him back that first night but i know it's for the best. can't wait til they fix him!

27. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Sending you lots of prayers and thinking of you and Harry,for a positive outcome tomorrow.

((((((( :YMHUG: )))))))

28. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of prayers coming all the way from Canada.

((hugs)) ((Chris)) ((Harry))

29. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

I'll be praying for Harry, Chris.

30. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

chris, you know I'm thinking of harry and have been and will continue to send him healing wishes and prayers for Harry. And for you chris-- thoughts of warm beaches and the MBA and nice places like that to keep you in a nice positive zone.

I love Harry's hairy toes :D

((((((( Chris )))))))))))

(((((( Harry ))))))))))

31. chriscleo

thank you!
    i'll be bringing him to the surgeon in just over 5 hours.
    he needs this surgery so i'm really happy it's finally happening.
    fingers crossed surgery is easy/quick, and i have him back home in great shape in another day or two. i've heard lung surgery hurts, so i'm hoping we'll be able to keep pain minimized as much as possible. harry's a really talkative kitty, so i'm sure he'll tell me off later. :cool:

32. Cheryl and Winnie

maybe make sure you have a pain control talk w/ the surgeon if you haven't already.

Are you sleeping YET? (nag nag nag :mrgreen: )

33. chriscleo

awww, gee, cheryl, busting my chops here.
    going up now to sleep. removing the water and food is already gone so hopefully DH doesn't accidentally let harry out to sneak either.
    gee, if i'd thought of it earlier i'd have put harry and me in a guest bedroom for the night but i think it's probably best to keep to the routine as much as possible.
    thanks, everyone. :)

34. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Loads of prayers and best wishes coming from Delaware.

35. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Chris,

Please know that Harry and you are both in my thoughts and prayers. And, we all know the power of this wondrous Board... Please give an update when you can, okay?

And, please take good care of you. Harry's going to need you to be rested when he comes home.

Much love and countless hopeful, healing prayers,
    Deb and Nikki -- and Giz, forever whispering in my heart...

36. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

prayers for harry and you, today..

celi & binks

37. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

Prayers for you and Harry today!
    In our thoughts!!!

38. Lulu's2Moms

Lulu's2Moms Member

Sending prayer and good vibes for Harry's success and quick healing.

Remember to take care of you during this time... be loving to yourself as if you were Harry... it will help.

Amanda

39. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

You and Harry are in my thoughts and prayers today Chris.

((((HUGS))))

40. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

If you want some extra prayers there is a Facebook page:

Pet Prayer List

and also you can get distance Reiki from the Distance Healing Network for pets:

http://www.the-dhn.com/forms/rqst4p/dhn_rqst4p.html

41. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Thinking of you all day. Praying everything went well. Donna

42. chriscleo

surgery postponed

during CT scan, surgeon found 2 lesions on harry's right lung (in addition to the mass on the left lung), so she cancelled surgery for the day pending radiologist's review.

surgeon thinks the lesions aren't cancer but rather are age-related calcification in one area and evidence of airway disease (related to asthma) in the other. if radiologist thinks they're metastases, we'll have to change our game plan re surgery. but we're planning tomorrow (friday) as if radiologist will agree with surgeon, and will begin surgery as soon as we get the okay in the morning. means poor harry gets food cut off again but this time at 5am friday morning instead of 10pm thursday night (half hr from now). so i'll have to drop him off again at 9:30 so surgeon can start right away when she gets the radiologist analysis. expected the info later tonight or sometime tomorrow morning.

this means surgeon would be around for the day after harry's surgery (saturday) rather than both days after surgery as we'd planned (she only works there thursday thru saturday), but c'est la vie, i guess.

harry was stoned and starving when i brought him home. he just gave himself a big bath so clearly he's feeling pretty good. he had anesthesia for the CT scan, and came out of it totally normally, which was a very good sign for a kitty with asthma.

[lantus landers: i know it's been hard not using the "s" and "v" words i requested you avoid in my post to start this thread, but i appreciate it.]

43. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Been waiting to hear Chris.
    Still praying for Harry.
    I'm glad to hear he is grooming. Always good to see this.

44. Cheryl and Winnie

Hoping hoping hoping new lesions found are not cancer.

wow what a lot of stress (((( chris ))))

it sounds like Harry is happy to be home and recovered nicely from his CT.

Here's to a green light and successful surgery tomorrow.

((( harry ))) cat_pet_icon

45. Wendy and Boo (GA)

Wendy and Boo (GA) Member

((Chris))

Continued prayers for Harry!

46. chriscleo

off topic: wendy

woo hoo, wendy, sneaked a look at boo's SS and see boo's numbers are looking a lot better! very happy you stuck to the plan and did the dose increases. very good job. a lot of it i think is just getting his system used to insulin again. :)

47. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

Continued prayers for you and Harry..
    All my gang is crossing all paws that everything goes to plan today. (that's 3 kitties and 3 droolers!)
    Many thoughts!
    He is an incredibly handsome boy! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

48. chriscleo

surgery cancelled

looks like surgery cancelled because of radiologist interpretation but i haven't heard details yet. waiting to hear from surgeon. will post when i know more.

49. jt and trouble (GA)

This must be making you so crazy. I keep checking for updates. Please know we are PRAYING for Harry.
    jeanne

50. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Ack this must be so frustrating but at least Harry's getting some good stones out of the called off activities and I am sure he's glad to be home again.
    I wonder what the interpretations are?

Tell Harry big wishes here for him.

51. chriscleo

radiologist believes the lung cancer has spread. she can't be positive, so she's recommending aspirates. but it looks like he has two tumors in one lung lobe (left lung) and one on the right lung.
    another option besides aspirates is to wait another 6+ months and check again to see if any changes have occurred.
    but if there's metastatic disease, surgery will not prolong his life, so it's not worth going thru the pain/trauma of surgery.
    this is extremely upsetting news.
    i'll be seeing their main oncologist in 45 minutes to try to get a game plan together.

52. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

oh (((chris))). not the update i was hoping to see. (((harry)))

53. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

No words, just hugs for you...still praying for you both,

(((chris & harry)))

54. jt and trouble (GA)

Oh my goodness...Keeping you both close in prayer.
    jeanne

55. Cheryl and Winnie

(((((((((((((((((( Chris ))))))))))))))))))))))))

oh man, this is so not what I wanted to read. Hoping the rad. is wrong. and the onco comes up w/ something for dear Harry.

56. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Chris, I am sorry you received this news. I agree with Cheryl; I hope for some positive words and that the radiologist erred.
    You and Harry are in my thoughts.

57. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no...not good news.

But praying, still.

58. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Please keep us posted.

59. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Still praying for good news and prognosis. They seem like a good group of doctors there.
    (( Chris ))

60. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

((((Chris)))) I'm still holding out hope for a positive outcome. Stay strong.

61. chriscleo

totally wasted my time seeing oncologist. he was a douchebag. wasted my time, gave me no information, kept me waiting, had a cavalier attitude. only saving grace is that he called the surgeon for me and she met with me afterward. we decided to aspirate the known mass in the left lung and a relatively easy to get lesion in the right lung. that should tell us if the cancer metastasized and whether the left lung mass is pleural rather than pulmonary. if it's pleural we absolutely should not operate. if it's pulmonary and we can't determine right lung lesion is a metastasis, we could operate.

according to oncologist cats normally live about 60 days after lung cancer is found so harry has already beat the odds at 9 months after the mass showed up on xray (which his vet never confirmed was a mass but should have then). so clearly this was slow growing and at least worth exploring. but survival for metastatic lung cancer is only 20% as far as we know. according to oncologist there are few studies on it -- maybe only 3 or 4 -- so everything is a crapshoot.

[edited to add: what an a-hole. i found 198+ related articles (have to check biblios for more) on pubmed]

62. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Chris I'm so sorry to hear this, it's so unexpected. Who is doing the aspirate? When?

63. chriscleo

dr maretzki (sp), the head of the clinic. i believe he's internal med. your cardiologist might have heard of him. he does consult on cardiology (craig maretzki, U Penn 1990). post grad research in infectious diseases at yale and UC Davis, too.

he was busy today but is around tomorrow so he'd be able to get the aspirates for us. i'm not thrilled because he would not talk to me, per the surgical resident. it's not his case -- it's the surgeon's (dr margo mehl) or the oncologist's (rodriguez, whom i'd never go back to).

64. Cheryl and Winnie

sorry the onco was such a jerk.

glad you have that surgeon. she's golden.

sending all good wishes for Harry's aspirate tomorrow.

((( Chris and Harry ))))

65. MommaOfMuse

So sorry to see this update, I was hoping that dearest Harry had gotten his surgery and was now recoverying nicely.

This has to be nerve wracking (((((Chris & Harry)))))

We will keep all fingers and paws crossed that you'll have some answers soon and they will be able to help Harry out.

Mel & the fur gang.

66. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Best of luck Chris; I am still hoping for good news, or better than expected, on the results for Harry.

67. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

((Chris))
    I am so sorry to hear this. I am praying and hoping you will get sme
    better answers for Harry.

68. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Chris I agree the aspirate sounds like a reasonable next step. I'm afraid the CT results point to metastasis so surgery isn't going to be curative. Are you in San Francisco proper? I can ask my dog's onco if she knows anyone in your area--she's been an onco for years and knows everyone.

69. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Aw (((Chris))), still praying for Harry. Not the update I wanted to see.

70. chriscleo

yes, i'm in san francisco.
    sfvs, the specialists i see, has drs rodriguez and kathy andres, who is new and didn't especially impress me.
    was considering going to davis. i have questions about alternative treatments such as IMRT and RFA (radiation/heat) as well.
    at 2 hrs away, davis is a bit far, so it would be nicer to find someone more local. i want to maximize harry and my time. he's acting healthy right now and i don't want to screw that up but i want to try something before just giving up. i don't find sfvs acceptable for that. we also need someone who knows more about asthma/respiratory disease because we'll have to work on that as well (sfvs does not have anyone with much experience re that). progression of asthma may actually be causing more of harry's symptoms than the lung mass is.

71. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

still holding you in our hearts...

celi & binks

72. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no, not the news I wanted to see.. but I am still sending good vibes to you both. (((((((((((((((((((((CHRIS))))))))))))))))))))

73. theng&miko

theng&miko Member

I'll be praying for Chris & Harry.

74. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

My hopeful, healing thoughts and prayers continue for both you, dearest Chris and your precious brave Harry...

Much love and countless hopeful healing hugs as well,
    Deb and Nikki -- and Giz, forever whispering in my heart...

75. chriscleo

Pls Pray 4 Harry's Successful Lung Aspirates Sat Dec 4

thank you. bringing him in for aspirates at 11am pacific time. chief at clinic will do them whenever he can fit harry in so i'm bringing a book and hanging out to save the "boarding" fee.

have a little baby hope left that it'll turn out to be something else but i do need to know more and hope they will give us info we need without hurting my little dude harry. no matter how much time he has left i want him to be happy and as healthy as i can help him be. we still have to manage other health issues like asthma & hyperT, tho hyperT is nicely controlled (T4 2.5 with daily methimazole).

so, good vibes still appreciated. he is such a little doll.

76. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

Continuing to pray for you!!

77. jt and trouble (GA)

Dear Chris we're praying Harry and you have countless well and happy days ahead. Kitties have a way of amazing us that way.
    jeanne

78. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh man.. I just found this thread, and was hoping to keep reading that he already had his surgery & is home recuperating by now! :-| I really hope the aspirates show that it's nothing, and you guys can still have the surgery.

Even if it has spread, would pred help? It would help with his asthma too right? Bandit's on pred longterm right now for her stomatitis, but it's helping her asthma too, so she doesn't need inhaled meds.. unless the pred stops helping her stomatitis, and I take her off it.

79. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Been thinking about you two and just want to say, you are both in my thoughts.

80. chriscleo

harry lung aspirates taken

we just got home. aspirates were taken using ultrasound around 2:30pm, then recovery, then home. he's acting okay. interesting hanging around the clinic on a saturday. lots of dogs and drop ins.

won't have results til wednesday, when the clinic head is back on rotation, but vet's assistant said he got a good amount of samples. he had to do a lot of repositioning to get ahold of some of the samples (right lung). guessing harry will be stoned for a while. gonna hang out with him in the bedroom and hopefully get a good nap in.

yes, steph, harry's on pred. right now just 5mg SID but considering increasing. only trouble is, supposedly eventually pred stops working for them but i think it's a big reason he's been stable for so long despite the mass in the left lung that the vet forgot to tell me about. :roll: he did have an asthma attack at midnight so i had to use the inhaler but i think it's been over a month since the prior attack so he's not getting the inhaler regularly right now.

81. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Depending on the location of the tumor, its impact on Harry's comfort, and Harry's stability, surgery might be helpful to debulk the tumor(s) and make him more comfortable. I'd only do it if the tumor was causing symptoms because of its size - ex blocking breathing or swallowing - and Harry wasn't ready to let go.

82. chriscleo

i agree, bj, tho lung surgery is extremely painful and if it won't lengthen his life we are loathe to put him thru it. in my heart, of course, i believe in cutting tumors out. lung cancer is so poorly researched so far because it used to be pretty rare in pets. i don't think they've really had success in anything they've tried. only saving graces that i can see are that the tumor looks well differentiated, and the lobes don't look affected. as far as i can tell, those two things can have a lot to do with a longer survival rate. hopefully the trend will continue rather than speeding up.

harry has had such a happy life since day 1, i want to keep it that way (except for the fact that our vet didn't tell us they'd confirmed the mass in february. that will forever kill me but we can't turn back time). harry's breeders were phenomenal and he was so beautifully socialized he loves everybody. he's a one in a million great guy. i hope we have a lot of time left. there's a lot of work ahead for us.

83. Cheryl and Winnie

glad to read he is acting ok and not upset from all these vet visits.
    will sit on pins and needles until wed biopsy results and keep hoping and praying for the best.

He sounds like such a great guy. (((( Harry ))))

I hope you can get some rest chris.

((( chris )))

84. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Want to let you know that Harry and you are constantly in my thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.