DCIN Adoptable Diabetic Cats--Four in Shelters

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN), Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

This post features the four diabetic cats currently on DCIN's adoptables list that are in shelters. These are the diabetic cats most at risk because many shelters consider diabetic cats to be unadoptable, and thus put them on the schedule for euthanasia. There are special shelters, and there are special diabetic cats in some shelters that make it past that destiny. But for the most part, if a rescue doesn't pull the diabetic cat, it soon will be GA.

I am starting with the two diabetic shelter cats I have not yet written about on the FDMB. Information is slim, but that's often the case in these situations. There just isn't time to do the research on the cats.

[​IMG]...[​IMG]...BigBoy is in Waco TX. It certainly looks like his number is up very soon. He may be older than the normal "middle-aged" diabetic, and it seems he may have another health issue--a tumor on his abdomen. I am trying to get more information about that. His blog page is here.

[​IMG]...[​IMG]...Tommy is in Baltimore MD. He was an owner surrender to the Maryland SPCA. This is his write-up on a FaceBook page. There seems to be lack of information from the SPCA about how much time Tommy has in the shelter, but the shelter is not putting Tommy into its adoption program. My experience tells me this dear orinch boy has numbered days.

[​IMG]...Kiki is in a shelter in WV. I don't hear about her much because this all-volunteer shelter has its hands full just caring for the cats. Updating DCIN isn't high on the priority list. Neither is hometesting. DCIN sent a number of supplies, but I don't think they are being heavily used. Her Blog page is here.

[​IMG]...What is it about orinch boys, diabetes, and shelters? This is Toby, in the Baltimore Humane Society. He's been in the shelter a couple of months now, so his "date" also may be getting close. Toby's Blog page is here.

The full list of cats currently on DCIN's adoption list are:

Beasley (in DCIN foster with dian in Pittsburgh)
    Chloe (in foster with OLM Catnip Cottage in Summerville, SC)
    Doug (in foster with Claudia in MA)
    Elliott (in foster with Charlotte Mecklenburg NC Animal Care and Control)1
    Ivan, formerly Jules (in foster care with Claudia in MA)
    Jacob (in foster with OLM Catnip Cottage in Summerville, SC)
    Kiki (in a WV shelter)
    Kitty (in foster with missyandlittlegray) Kitty passed away on Thanksgiving, even though Missy had told her she already was home. Fly free Kitty. [​IMG]
    Majik and Bella (from Louisiana; need a year-long military foster)
    Moe (in foster with OLM Catnip Cottage in Summerville, SC)
    Pewter Boy (in foster with Claudia in MA)
    Sambo (in foster in Toronto area, Ontario, Canada)
    Sebastian Purrbox (in foster with Stefani in MD)
    Tawny (in DCIN foster with Desi)
    Toby (in a Baltimore shelter)
    Tommy (in shelter foster in Charlottesville, VA)
    Twinkie (in DCIN foster with dian in Pittsburgh)

I invite the foster beans of cats on the DCIN adoption list to post updates about their charges on this thread. You may see new threads during the week if cats are added to DCIN's adoption or courtesy post lists. (The courtesy post list is here.) You also may see the foster beans post about these cats on Health and the Insulin Support Groups.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Thanks Venita -- Want to update your list - removing Rusty - moving to NY with Ella in a few days

:)

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Venita, if things fall through with Peaches coming to my home ( the CT FD ) I would take one of these shelter kitties. I don't think I could transitions two at the same time. I will keep you posted on Peaches' status.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Did I know that? [​IMG]

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly you can also remove Yoda since he is now adopted by his foster parents. =)

Mel

6. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Sorry about the mistakes on yesterday's post. I was running on empty. I wasn't able to finish it.

The positive milestones since the last posting.

* Rusty is moving this weekend from Phoebe's home to live with Ella. Phoebe is sad, Ella is happy, and Phoebe's cats are filled with Thanksgiving joy. Welcome to the one-cat castle, King Russell.

* Camille, a shelter cat with two days to live, made it to her furever home with Don. Welcome home, beautiful young girl.

* Joey was put on the adoptable list then taken off as he will be an international traveler, winging to Singapore to live with his former guardian's family. Travel well, dear boy.

* Yoda discovered he has been home all along as Kelly announced his adoption. You landed softly, Yoda.

* Elliott Growltiger still needs a home, but his good news is that he is OTJ. You have joined the ranks of the broken diabetics, Elliott.

**************************************************************************************************************

The previous adoptable cats post is here.

7. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Updates on Shelter Cats

I want to update on the four shelter diabetic cats. I called for updates because of Jenn's expressed interest. See my opening post for the links to the Blog writeups on these cats.

BigBoy in Waco is getting a vet-donated ultrasound today to find out what's up with the tumor on his abdomen.

Tommy is stalled in the Baltimore SPCA system. The shelter is undergoing renovations and is not intaking animals, but Tommy was a return so they had to take him. Because of the renovation, everything is all messed up, including PTS schedules.

Tommy is on the euthanasia track, but the process is to try to get a rescue to take him before PTS. Until this Friday, he is in a foster home. He does not have a set PTS date, yet. No way to tell when it will be set.

Tommy is on Glip and a wet RX diet. He is affectionate. He has dry skin, is overweight, and toothless except for one canine. His teeth fell out because of "old age" (eek, he's only 8), and so there may still be roots in his mouth. (My observation--he has a junk mouth and may need AB for stomatitis.)

Kiki was saved from euthanasia through the insistence of one (or more) of the shelter volunteers. She is not at risk for PTS, but the shelter is not able to manage her FD well because of time constraints. The shelter volunteers can't test her BG levels; they have little time and Kiki has no patience with the hurried attempts. Also, Kiki just is not looking well. Her eyes look glassy. Kiki has had a symptomatic hypo once, and was in the 400s this week (tested by the vet). Kiki is on Fancy Feast Classic and Science diet dry. She desperately wants to get out of her cage. She doesn't like other cats but she loves people. All she wants is attention. She is on Lantus.

Toby is in a "no-kill" shelter. They only PTS for medical conditions. Toby is an older cat and considered not adoptable. He will live in his cage until he becomes so stressed by shelter life and beat down by the diabetes that he will be PTS. His FD is "under control," based on periodic checks at the vet. Toby is on a combo of wet and dry DM.

Sorry if this is bad news. It's just the facts.

8. missyandlittlegray

missyandlittlegray Member

Venita, you can take Kitty off the adoptable list. As you know, she's very, very sick and seems to be getting worse, not better. But if she makes it, she's here to stay. Please send us prayers and whatever else you've got. We certainly could use them here.

9. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Sending tons of get well soon prayers and purrs for dear kitty.

Mel & The Fur Bunch

10. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

My prayers are with Kitty, Missy. May she get well and forever love her furever home. Blessings!!

11. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Big Boy's "Tumor"

Big Boy doesn't have a tumor on his abdomen. It is an inguinal hernia. Please, if anyone has direct experience with this, let us know treatment/prognosis. He has a maybe home, but we need to understand more about this condition.

Maybe you can see the protrusion on BB's abdomen with this picture.

[​IMG]

12. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

well, in humans -- most hernias are easy to fix with one operation.

13. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.2ndchance.info/hernia.htm

Its weird that his abdomen is out like that, inguinal is in the groin area so it must be a large one.

Carly had a fat hernia, probably there since her spaying, since it started at the spay site. It was there so long that Dr. H had to trim fat to get it all back in. The shelter had determined it was fat, but not that it was a hernia. Dr. H was concerned because it was close to the mammary chain.

14. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Maybe that's just a big belly then. I was told the "tumor" was on his abdomen, and I just assumed that was what I was seeing in the photo.

15. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Soto in Egan MN Needs an 8-month Foster Home

I don't usually start a new thread during the week for cats new to the DCIN adoptables list, but I didn't want Soto to be overlooked. I know we have several members in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. The thread about her is here.

Soto's blog page is here. Soto is a cranky middle aged Tortie that needs a foster situation until her guardian returns in June 2010 from an academic assignment in Switzerland.

I am thinking there is a chance that Soto could be PTS because the vet seems to be suggesting that. The guardian left Soto with her father, but his work schedule is such that he is unable to appropriately treat Soto's diabetes.

I haven't asked the guardian about a long-distance foster situation, but I can do that if someone expresses interest.

16. missyandlittlegray

missyandlittlegray Member

If all else fails, maybe a rescue group would be willing to put her in a foster home until June. We've kept cats in our shelter in situations like this. The group might ask the person to sign a contract stating when she'll be back and giving the group permission to put Soto up for adoption if her human doesn't return on time. There might also be a really nice cat boarding facility in the area. If the person's dad could keep Soto until after the holidays, Soto would be there during the facility's slow season, and they might be willing to offer a lower price, especially if Soto brings her own food.

17. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

18. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

19. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

They Are Gone!!!

For those of you who were thinking about adopting an extra-sweet shelter cat from the DCIN adoptable list, you are too late. Don is adopting the last two, Toby and Tommy. See this post.

Not to dismay. There are others on the DCIN adoptables list. My next push will be for the diabetics in foster care. Beasley and Twinkie are two adorable orinch boyz that have been in foster with dian for over a year. They deserve their own homes!! There are others; check the list.

20. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Don, thank you so much for opening your heart and home to these two special boys. They are very lucky little men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.