Randy's Night Bgl

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by leaveittoweaver, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaveittoweaver

leaveittoweaver Member

Randy's BGL 10 hours after the shot today was 182. I tested him just now before his next shot, and his BGL is 107. How much insulin should I dose him tonight? Thanks everyone! He is on Prozinc by the way, and if anyone wants to see Randy's backstory and more information, my previous post is located here:
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28975&p=298497

Sorry for not using the regular kitty diabetes jargon but I'm still trying to understand it all hah.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'd either wait an hour or two and retest, or skip this shot and start fresh tomorrow. He still may be headed down, we don't really know enough yet.

What do you think about testing later or skipping?

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

with that level, i wouldn't shoot any insulin at all to be honest. that's actually a normal BG level, some would say maybe leaning towards high normal but still, very normal.

injecting a pzi type insulin on that number may lead to a catastrophe tonight soooooooooo, what you can do is this:

1. leave it alone and give your kitty and yourself a night off
    2. test again in an hour or so and if higher (closer to 200 let's say), inject a small dose. given the numbers you have gotten today, i wouldn't give any more than 1/2 to 1 unit, if you ever have to give any insulin again at all :)

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

That is unusual for him to be going down. He could be a kitty who has a really late nadir. It is too low to give a shot. Can you get another test in 30 minutes? (The test seemed to go well, right? The other possibility is that it isn't a "good" number)

Pmps. 2 units PZI
    +10. 187
    + 12 107

5. leaveittoweaver

leaveittoweaver Member

Thanks guys! I will wait two hours and test again. I really think the diet change from what the shelter was feeding him has helped tremendously. He's very active tonight in comparison to when we got him and when we used to visit him at the shelter. I'll keep you all updated in two hours.

Edit: Should I test in 30 mins or 2 hrs? He takes the home test like a champ. He doesn't even move.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

IMHO, I would test in 30 minutes, just in case the first one was a bad test. Be sure to give him treats!

7. LynnLee + Mousie

yep, you can never go wrong with collecting data :)

fwiw, i'd test both, 30 minutes and even after that a bit to see what the levels do.

8. leaveittoweaver

leaveittoweaver Member

13 hours since the shot now and we just tested again. 119 was what it came up as. Still no insulin right? His heart seems to be beating awfully fast, should we be concerned?

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

pmps. 2 units PZI
    +10. 187
    + 12 107
    +13 119

Looking good! I would say definitely no shot tonight. You can always get more tests in if you want, or just relax. Don't be surprised if you have a number in the 200-300s tomorrow. He will have been 24 hours without insulin. But you will still want to reduce the dose.

No ideas about the heart rate. Keep an eye on him.

10. LynnLee + Mousie

nope, i still wouldn't shoot.

the heartbeat wouldn't be tied to that number i don't believe.

maybe he's excited over the testing?

11. leaveittoweaver

leaveittoweaver Member

That's definitely possible. We did have to carry him from the closet to the couch to test him, so that could be it. He's very calm about the testing though, he doesn't jerk around or try to get away. I guess we lucked out in that sense.

We'll test him again in the morning and post a new thread about it :) Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.