DCIN Adoptable Diabetic Cats--Featuring BEASLEY and TWINKIE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN), Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

In November last year, Jennifer (Tucker's Mom) got a call from local law enforcement. A woman who was a victim of domestic abuse went into a shelter, and she had to surrender her two cats to the animal shelter. This was a Thursday, I believe, and the cats were scheduled for euthanasia on Monday. Jennifer quickly found dian and wheezer to TEMPORARILY foster the two Orinch Boyz, and then contacted DCIN for help with transport, funding their care, and purrmanent placement.

Well I certainly have failed with the third of my assignments--finding them purrmanent homes. Beasley and Twinkie have been with dian since 11/22/09---coming up on a year. A YEAR!! In TEMPORARY foster.

I can understand problems placing Twinkie. He is FIV+, self multilates "hot spots," and according to Dawn Allen is not a happy camper. But I don't understand that Beasley does not yet have a furever home. Both cats are highly affectionate, although Beasley more so. Both cats are well regulated on Lantus insulin, although Twinkie does a little better than Beasley.

Has a person with an open heart and a spot in her/his home not seen the awesome photos and videos that dian often posts of these boys? dian, could you post some links; I can't find them.

Ask Carol, Deb, and others who have visited with these boys. They are adorable loves. So let's move them out of dian's house before they hit their one year annifursary there!!

******************************************************************************************************************

The other cats currently on DCIN's adoption list are:

Chloe (in foster with OLM Catnip Cottage in Summerville, SC)
    Doug (in foster with Claudia in MA)
    Elliott (in foster with Charlotte Mecklenburg NC Animal Care and Control)1
    Ivan, formerly Jules (in foster care with Claudia in MA)
    Jacob (in foster with OLM Catnip Cottage in Summerville, SC)
    Kiki (in a WV shelter)
    Kitty (in foster with missyandlittlegray)
    Moe (in foster with OLM Catnip Cottage in Summerville, SC)
    Pewter Boy (in foster with Claudia in MA)
    Rusty (needs rehoming from Phoebe near Detroit)
    Sambo (in foster in Toronto area, Ontario, Canada)
    Sebastian Purrbox (in foster with Stefani in MD)
    Tawny (in DCIN foster with Desi)
    Toby (in a Baltimore shelter)
    Tommy (in shelter foster in Charlottesville, VA)
    Yoda (in foster with Kelly in Bloomington, IN)

I invite the foster beans of cats on the DCIN adoption list to post updates about their charges on this thread. You may see new threads during the week if cats are added to DCIN's adoption or courtesy post lists. (The courtesy post list is here.) You also may see the foster beans post about these cats on Health and the Insulin Support Groups.

**********************************************************************************************************************

The good news from the past week was that Isabell found a home with a woman local the the shelter that was soon going to euthanize her. Welcome home, Isabell. Live long and prosper.

The other good news is that DCIN opened its Fall 2010 Fundraiser and is getting incredible support from many. The Board of Diabetic Cat Care and Rebecca, the owner of FDMB, have publicly supported the fundraiser, and we received a 10% matching challenge from an anonymous donor. Details about the fundraiser, which includes prizes this time, are here. Thank you all for supporting this cause, whether through monetary or prize donations, fostering or adopting an unwanted diabetic cat (whether through DCIN or elsewhere), supporting DCIN's "behind the scenes" efforts, or prayers and well wishes for our effort.

Last week's adoptable cats post is here.

************************************************************************************************************************

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

Re: DCIN Adoptable Diabetic Cats--Featuring BREASLEY and TWI

heck. my PB album seems to be missing the BOYZ. I know I would not have deleted them. hmm. will upload later today.
    these guys are the best cats in the world. they get in no trouble,scratch no furniture and do their business in LB only.
    beasley is definitely the more outgoing of the 2. he follows you around like a puppy dog. comes to lay down beside you or on you. the latter being much more comfy than when I first got him. lost a total of #6. has reached a plateau the last 3 weeks. appetite is very good. to the point that he could gain the weight back in a week. this boy loves to eat

twinkie
    poor boy. fiv+ and URI. on lysine and interferon for this. has good days and bad. this just started a week ago. It does eventually clear up..
    on Prozac 5mg and that seems to have done away with the licking problem. the interferon was just started a week ago.as we speak, I am trying to get the prozac renewed but pharmacy so far does not want to give me capsules. yada,yadda, yadda. the caps are $4 for 90 and do to some strange law of 1939 they have to charge $9 for 30 month supply OF TABLETS. stupid. vet and vet tech are trying to work a way around this.
    only thing I am disappointed in is "I do not have broken cats" I am trying like heck and they just will not break. I really thought for sure it would have been a short stint on insulin considering they had a dental and had very bad teeth and was switched from NPH to lantus.
    ALL IN ALL, THESE GUYS ARE A CAT OWNERS DREAM. they are so cute and so,so good

3. dian and wheezer

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Sebastian Purrbox

Stefani has asked me promote Sebastian Purrbox (Bastian) because she just has so many thing on her plate. His blog page is here.

Bastian has stayed at Spa Venita twice, once for 7 weeks, once for one week.

[​IMG]

Bastian is a big boy, but he isn't overweight. He's solid. Being only 10YO, Bastian is active and curious. When we first introduced him to the resident cats, he completely ignored them. He was fascinated by the house, more interested in the various rooms and places to hang out than having friends to hang out with. But by the end of his 7-week stay he, he would on occasion interact with our 2.5YO male Casey. They would play-rassle and chase each other.

Nothing riles Bastian. I have never heard a single hiss or growl from him. If he is uncomfortable, he finds someplace else to be comfortable.
    Bastian does like to eat. We had to make adjustments in our free-feeding household to keep him from gaining inappropriate weight.

Stefani would love to find this perfect tuxedo a home and heart soon, because she has to foster her Mom's elderly porch cat over the winter.

5. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Joey is an Emergency

See this post.

If someone doesn't adopt Joey, he may be moving to SIngapore with his recently deceased Mum's family. Their heart is in the right place, but they don't have experience with feline diabetes and we are concerned that this may not be the right choice for him. He needs the promise of a new home soon, and rehoming by early December when the family leaves.

DCIN is still trying to get more information about Joey.

[​IMG]

Joey is going to Singapore. See this post.

6. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

More info about Joey here.

This is an emergency situation. Even though the family may be willing to take Joey back to SIngapore with them, there is a 30-day to three-month quarantine period, which is spent in a private facility without veterinary oversight. I fear what that type of handling would mean for an insulin-dependent diabetic cat.

Joey's down side is that he is territorial with other male cats. He seems to be OK with female cats and children, and hides from dogs.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Updated info on Bastian. I just spoke to Stefani. Bastian is now off split shots and is getting 1/4 to 1/3U Levemir BID. He has really stabilized. This morning's +13 was 129. She hasn't seen Bastian up into the 200s since Halloween.

She promises new pictures soon.

8. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Well, good news! I got an email yesterday from my craigslist ad I posted at the end of september about Yoda. Of course that immediately prompted a discussion between myself and my husband about giving Yoda up. We have decided that we have become too attached and Yoda has as well. I know rehoming is especially difficult on Siamese kitties because they get sooo attached to their people. I just couldn't stand to do it to him again since we are already his 3rd home in his short life time and he has been here for 6 months already. Plus he gets along so well with my other kitties. Oscar and Daisy don't play with each other, but they each play with Yoda in different ways. So, in the end, I feel Yoda found his furrever home back in June. Now that he is in remission, he only costs us $30 a month in food, which is negligible. When I finish my course work in May and am finally able to work full time, I hope to be able to repay DCIN the kindness that has been shown to us.

9. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Woohoo Yoda has a furever home...So does that mean I have to change his status on the "Safe in the Arms of Love" video from Fostered to Adopted? :D (I really love making those kind of changes)

Mel

10. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

LOL that would be a wonderful change, Mel! :D

11. dian and wheezer

congratulations yoda and kelly. wish I was in the financial position to do the same with the BOYZ.
    you are one lucky kitty Yoda. job well done Kelly

12. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Congrats Yoda and Kelly!!! It will be so nice to take Yoda off the adoptables list.

Sadly, I have another one to add to adoptables. Peaches.

[​IMG]

Peaches is in CT and has been on the DCIN list before. She was adopted by in April 2010, but her new Mom is soon starting treatment for cancer and can no longer care for this senior girl. Peaches's blog page is here.

I also have been recently contacted by Operation Noble Foster, the group that tries to find temporary homes for pets belonging to military being called to active duty so they can look forward to return home to their pets. Majik and Bella are in DeRidder, Louisiana, and their Mom will deploy to Afghanistan soon. Majik has been diabetic for about 14 months. I will work on a blog page for these two soon, but this might be a tough placement. I am sure Mom would like her two very shy darlings placed together, nearby, and in a home without other pets or children. But sometimes compromises need to be made.

Majik the Diabetic...[​IMG]

Bella, his sister...[​IMG]

13. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Details about Majik and Bella are on the blog here.

14. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Re: DCIN Adoptable Diabetic Cats--Featuring BEASLEY and TWIN

15. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Re: DCIN Adoptable Diabetic Cats--Featuring BEASLEY and TWIN

News on Elliott Growltiger in NC. He is OTJ :RAHCAT and otherwise in great health. See his new writeup on the blog here. Elliott has only one eye.

[​IMG]

Even though Elliott's caregiver says that he can not be in a house with free-feeding cats because of his special diet, most of understand that diabetics and civies alike can free feed on canned food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.